Just joined & interested in purchasing my first parrot

Beckyymayy

Nov 30, 2013
Sydney Australia
Parrots
Galah - Nigel
Hey all,
I've been interested in owning a galah for a while now but I've read a lot of pages saying its best to develop a routine for parrots. so the only thing that is stopping me is that I work 6days a week on shift work so I do not have a routine myself, would this effect the bird?

BruceV

Oct 20, 2013
S.E. Michigan
Parrots
Simba (Blue & Gold Macaw); Cosmo (Blue Quaker); Blue (Blue IRN); Mattie (Green Quaker)
Welcome to the forum! Being relatively new to having birds, I can't honestly answer your question, but I'm sure someone will be along soon who can. :)

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Welcome

Birds do thrive on routine you might have a few setbacks

BUT with that said there are guardian within the forum who work shift and their birds are thriving

Hopefully your question will be answered by these members

ParkersMom

Jan 18, 2013
Nashville TN
Parrots
Parker male BF Amazon hatched 5/2/2012
Charlie unsexed BF Amazon hatched 1994?
Juno Female BH Caique Hatched 6-3-2013
I have made is a point to NOT have any set routine for my birds...just because you never know what might cause a change in a routine...they are all doing just fine...

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
I don't have a set routine for my birds and they do just fine....

Blueridge

Sep 16, 2013
North Carolina
Parrots
Rocky - Yellow-Faced Quaker Parrot
Seems like alot of people don't set routines for their birds. I suppose this is best, as you never know what might come up and mess it up. Just buy your parrot a calendar and an agenda for his cage and he'll be fine. Also, place a clock by his cage so he will know what time it is.

Last edited:

Mayden

Apr 22, 2010
UK.
Parrots
Merlin & Charlie (Senegals)
I, like ParkersMom, purposely go against 'routine' so that my birds do not get too comfortable with something - and so upset, when it can't happen!

Familiarity is different. My birds are familiar with how things work around the house, but they do not expect things at such a time and become upset/angsty when it doesn't happen. The only thing I'd say they have of routine is that around 1:30pm they have a nap. But that's just because they get cranky at that time!

I work shifts, my partner does not. But I am unwell so sometimes partner is the main caregiver which throws routine right out the window.

Can work, does work. Plenty of people have birds and do shift work :)

legal_eagle

Banned
Banned
Feb 28, 2013
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure Pee-Wee
By choice, I work swing-shift hours. I get up, let my bird out of the cage for a few hours. She then spends the afternoon alone and goes to sleep when the sun goes down. When I get home a few hours later, she wakes up and spends several hours with me before going to bed again. It's something of a routine, I suppose, but not the more rigid routine that some folks insist is necessary. She has no behavioral or health issues, and seems quite adaptable to my schedule.:green2:

Maria_Metropolis

Nov 12, 2013
Parrots
White Face Cinnamon Pearl Pied Cockatiel - "Muffin"

Hatch Date: October 4th, 2013
RIP July 4, 2014
I think it depends on the bird too. Some species need more of a set routine, like some Cockatoos. Perhaps birds do well when they're in large groups in owner's homes because they're still part of a "flock" and when you're not home, they keep each other company if they're in the same room. I would think a single bird might have a bit more trouble, but again, it depends on the bird and the species.

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
Some birds work well with routines, others it doesn't matter. I have a galah, but I'm a stay-at-home mom so I have a lot of time on my hands. I do try to keep things on somewhat of a schedule though; meals at the same time, mid-day nap (I also have a toddler), and bed time all happen around the same times every day. But, I'm sure your bird will get used to your random schedule :)

There are plenty of parronts on here who work full time jobs and have successful relationships with their fids. One thing you'll want to do is to make sure they can self-entertain. That means playing by themselves...my galah can entertain herself for eons if she has the right toys. Otherwise she's off trudging around on the floor seeing what new toys she can conquer or hanging on the curtain rod trying to eat my walls. Hmph! She's a pink ball of mischievious fluff who's middle name is trouble.

OP
Beckyymayy

Beckyymayy

Nov 30, 2013
Sydney Australia
Parrots
Galah - Nigel
Thanks a lot it eases my mind, well I put a deposit on a galah today and I will be able to pick him up in 2weeks :) I'm very excited :)

BeakFace

Banned
Banned
Jan 23, 2013
Great birds. I also own a galah named Murphy! He is a joy. Good luck and keep us posted.

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
Y'just can't go past a Galah! They're so fluffy and soft and feathery and full of personality! When they puff out their little faces and stick their crests up - well - they're just adorable! Hope you come to love yours as much as we all love ours! :)

Maria_Metropolis

Nov 12, 2013
Parrots
White Face Cinnamon Pearl Pied Cockatiel - "Muffin"

Hatch Date: October 4th, 2013
RIP July 4, 2014
I saw one at a bird fair, a baby, and she was so sweet and cuddly. There's lots of videos on youtube of Galahs, so take a look.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tin5rXHuPcs]Galah Cockatoo Galore - YouTube[/ame]

Most Reactions