Kiwi attracted over a "pterodactyl" today!

MissLarissa

Jul 22, 2014
Media
Missouri
Parrots
Green Cheek Pineapple Conure - Rico
I was just informing you. I see them sometimes and they just fly off, but if they do decide it is better to attack they are dangerous. I just wanted to warn you if it starts sticking around. I didn't want any freak accident happening to you because of a wild bird.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
The one in my yard wasn't the least bit shy. My guess is the way California has over developed things, he was desensitized to people and urban sprawl. He spent several hours a day wandering around my yard...

He wasn't aggressive. He snapped at me once when I got about an arms length from him. I seriously doubt they have anywhere near the bite pressure of a large macaw, so I didn't exactly feel threatened. Though I am sure he could have given me a nasty cut with the point of that beak if he wanted to... and I would sit on the bench outside with my morning coffee, and watch him. I let him eat at my goldfish pond, but chased him off when he went for the koi pond. So, um... if he were aggressive that would have been game on right there.

It was more like a "back off" warning... so I did.

I can't imagine these guys being all that much of a threat to humans. As always, you need to use common sense when dealing with wild animals. I'm sure they can be pretty territorial, and being dive bombed by one would not be pleasant, but it probably wouldn't be fatal either.

You don't see many "Man killed by Heron" stories in the paper...

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts