Kiwi’s beak

Darbi

Feb 14, 2022
Parrots
Peach faced
Hello, I searched this up before posting anything and apparently it’s a scissor beak or crossed beak that can happen for many reasons? Kiwi is around 7 years old, eats well and sleeps well, we recognized the unaligned beak about a week ago. I am asking the internet because I truly think you can help me more than my local vets as they are not very professional, should I be concerned and how is this solved?

Attachments

• B2BD5BF3-24FC-4A98-8DAB-AA09E36A3A2C.jpeg
    B2BD5BF3-24FC-4A98-8DAB-AA09E36A3A2C.jpeg
    289.2 KB · Views: 78
  • 48348EF9-4753-4410-AC4D-323022A3AE79.jpeg
    48348EF9-4753-4410-AC4D-323022A3AE79.jpeg
    131.8 KB · Views: 82

MayMaroa

Feb 13, 2022
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Parrots
2 female budgies i have a green named tofu she is 1 years old(she turned one years old in April) and i have a blue budgie named sky she is the younger one she is younger then tofu by a few days
even if your vet is not professional try to find one
or contact an online vet
as scissor beaks in parrots and can be dangerous First off, parrots will find it more difficult to eat when their beaks do not meet because they will have problems with chewing their food. However, parrots are brilliant and smart animals that can adapt to such a situation. As long as your parrot is used to its scissor beak, it will learn how to eat even with such a condition.

The second reason why scissor beaks can be potentially dangerous is the more alarming one. When the parrot's upper and lower beaks do not meet, this will allow one of them to overgrow. The constant grinding between the upper and lower beaks actually keeps them in check so that one does not overgrow. However, if they do not meet, the beaks won’t get checked, and one can possibly overgrow and eventually pose a threat to the bird’s health. There was a case wherein the parrot’s upper beak was so overgrown that it got embedded at the side of its face. You wouldn’t want that to happen to your parrot in any case.

However, there is some good news here. Scissor beak is not something that is permanent as there are now different ways that can be used to correct it in a similar way as there are ways to correct crooked teeth in humans. There are ways that can be used to correct a bird’s crooked beak so that your pet does not have to live with this condition for the rest of its life.

and so you should be concerned try you best to find the best vet

MayMaroa

Feb 13, 2022
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Parrots
2 female budgies i have a green named tofu she is 1 years old(she turned one years old in April) and i have a blue budgie named sky she is the younger one she is younger then tofu by a few days
and welcome *hugs*🫂

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Hello,
Kiwi looks a little unwell in the picture. Fluffed , eye close.
Of course a moment in time , it's hard to know. But if Kiwi is taking several naps and spending time like this I'd be very worried about a health issue.

I can't really see the beak well enough.

OP
D

Darbi

Feb 14, 2022
Parrots
Peach faced
Hello,
Of course a moment in time , it's hard to know. But if Kiwi is taking several naps and spending time like this I'd be very worried about a health issue.

Hello,

Could it be because he lost his partner this week and understandably has been acting unusual not wanting to go home staying out for a while but is eating well. I read that I need to get him a new partner as soon as I can but the problem is that him and his old partner were living with two females, so should I give them more time together until one of the females decide to stick with kiwi or just get him a new partner. I don’t want kiwi to stay alone neither do I want one of the females to stay alone.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Hi there, I see the scissors beak misalignment. Yes, this can be dangerous though it’s probably not dangerous at this point. I first wonder if your lovebird got its jaw or head knocked and the bite is now ‘off’. That would be my first question But if he’s eating ok I doubt that is the case.

The beak is going to wear unevenly if it stays like that. Your vet might be able to grind down (with a Dremel tool) or file down the side of the mandible (lower beak) that is showing. Then his beak might go back to the right place. If it is never corrected somehow, it will overgrow and then he will most likely have trouble eating.

It would be best if your vet did any filing or trimming on his beak because beaks have a blood supply and nerves. The vet should know how to do this gently without hurting or injuring him.

i wish your little guy the best.

Heather

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Hi there, I see the scissors beak misalignment. Yes, this can be dangerous though it’s probably not dangerous at this point. I first wonder if your lovebird got its jaw or head knocked and the bite is now ‘off’. That would be my first question But if he’s eating ok I doubt that is the case.The beak is going to wear unevenly if it stays like that. Your vet might be able to grind down (with a Dremel tool) or file down the side of the mandible (lower beak) that is showing. Then his beak might go back to the right place. If it is never corrected somehow, it will overgrow and then he will most likely have trouble eating.
I fdoubt the beak problem is from bereavement. Is he interacting with a new female? I wonder if his beak could get hurt that way. It would be best if your vet did any filing or trimming on his beak because beaks have a blood supply and nerves. The vet should know how to do this gently without hurting or injuring him.

i wish your little guy the best.

Heather

Most Reactions

Latest posts