Lethargic Green Cheek

SunshineJenn03

Sep 16, 2008
DC Metro
Parrots
African Red Belly Poicephalus &
Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure
Hi folks,
I have an 8-month-old green cheek conure named Sam. Yesterday morning, my BF called me at work to tell me that Sam was acting very lethargic and could hardly step up or perch. Her water dish was nearly bone-dry, even though I had just filled it the night before. He gave her more water, which she quite literally dove into and drank at for about an hour, off and on. Initially, when she came out of her hut, her eyes were closed and wouldn't open, but they did eventually open. Since she's only 8 months, I told him to go to the pet store and get the Kaytee Exact baby bird formula for when I got home - so I could get nutrients and fluids into her, since she wasn't really eating either. But her condition was continuing to worsen throughout the day, so I ended up leaving work early and we took her (and my Red Belly Poicephalus, who appears to be fine so far) to the vet.

The vet incubated her for a couple of hours and said she was underweight and obviously very lethargic. They did a fecal smear and couldn't find anything wrong and asked to keep her under observation through to Monday, but honestly, the estimate for that bill, with bloodwork, would have been more than a single paycheck for me. If the bird and I wanted to continue having a home, that wasn't an avenue we could take. (I also inquired about payment plans - they said sorry, but no). So they have no idea what's wrong with her, just that her symptoms are too generic and broad and cover a spectrum of possibilities. They gave her a shot of an antibiotic that last for 7 days and sent me home with 2 more antibiotics - 1 she is to be given once a day for 7 days and 1 she is to get twice a day for 14 days. They said to get her to eat ANYTHING I can get down her throat, so I'm hand-feeding her again (she's not a fan). I've also got her set up in a clear Sterilite Tote with a towel and a heating pad (underneath the tote) for warmth, to simulate a hospital environment. When I observe her, her left leg seems particularly week, because she tends to roll in that direction when she tries to preen.

Today, she's more alert, having gotten sleep and, I guess, meds, but she still doesn't seem to have the best motor skills with her legs. And she's normally a ping-pong ball of a bird....she's a touch-me-not: we aren't allowed to pull at her wings or tail or ruffle her belly, because she'll bite you. For the last 36 hours, we've been able to do whatever we want to her and she just doesn't care. It's disturbing, because I know birds don't display signs of illness until it's almost too late. :smiley2:

Has anyone in here ever had experience with these symptoms before?

You sound like you are doing everything right. It would have been best if she stayed at the vets, but I understand financial issues. Did they do any blood work? My first thought is metal toxicity. It can make the organs shut down and cause neurological issues. Thus, the weakness and excessive thirst. She could also have diabetes or kidney failure. Blood work would be the best means of diagnosing her. Keep her very warm, as she uses her strength to try and keep her body temp up. I am concerned for your other birds as there are several contagious diseases that can cause these symptoms too. Many of these are evident in baby birds. How long have you had her?

You sound like you are doing everything right. It would have been best if she stayed at the vets, but I understand financial issues. Did they do any blood work? My first thought is metal toxicity. It can make the organs shut down and cause neurological issues. Thus, the weakness and excessive thirst. She could also have diabetes or kidney failure. Blood work would be the best means of diagnosing her. Keep her very warm, as she uses her strength to try and keep her body temp up. I am concerned for your other birds as there are several contagious diseases that can cause these symptoms too. Many of these are evident in baby birds. How long have you had her?
I've had her 6 months, purchased her from a very reputable aviary in Fairfax called DJ Feathers (not sure if you venture down this way from B-more often). The metal toxicity is a good point...I'll check over her cage. I don't know what brand it is, but it's one of those powder-coated wrought-iron types, similar to the Prevue brand. I used to have a handicapped Quaker (gout in one of her legs) and my grandfather made some modifications to it with a metal ladder thing up the door so she could move around a bit....I never even thought about that. The cage is almost 8 years old, I was going to replace it soon anyway.
The vet didn't do blood work...the going rate on that was $250+. To keep her through Monday would have run me ~$1500...! I passed on the blood work because as it stood, my vet bill was already $230. There's no price on my birds, but I just don't have it right now.
Kidney failure crossed my mind, I hope to god that isn't it (and that it isn't anything, to be honest).

My Red Belly still seems fine. I have them separated, but Peach isn't displaying any signs of illness at all. She's acting like her normal, loud self.

I've been getting updates from my BF (fortunately, he's on vacation until January 3rd), and she seems to be perking up, but I'm still worried.

I have just fisished treating a friends Cockatiel with similar symptoms. Seems your Vet is covering things from all angles. Is one of the meds for a fungal infection.? The injection would have been a broad spectrum antibiotics, usually a sick bird will show improvment within 12 to 24 hours.

The best thing you can do now is keep her warm & make sure she has food. Even if you have to mix up a small amout every hour or so until she has the strength to eat herself. If she isn't taking the meds you can put it in her food. I am not sure what brands of electrolytes you have for birds but some of that will help with enegy replacement.

I would think seeing she has improved a little she has picked up a little bac infection. I do hope all is well with her & she recovers quickly.

She's getting Meloxicam and Baytril. I can't remember what the shot was...my BF did something with the paperwork, I'll have to root around his stuff for it. Needs to be filed away anyway.
She's been feeding herself for the last, I dunno, 18 hours, and she's certainly showing more spunk than before. She's already back to biting if you poke at her wings, so I'm taking that as a sign of improvement!

Great news! Don't poke at her wings! LOL!

Gosh, that is great that she is coming around. I cried reading your first message that was so scary. It is great that she doesn't want to let you touch her now. She is strong enough to say NO. That is good she is eating too. You gave your bird such good care! It is sad the vet wouldn't let you have a way to pay over time. Our vet will do that for people my mom sends them and he even does free care some times if people can't pay much at all if they try. I think if you are a vet you should do that sometimes, yes? Cause the animal is in trouble. I hope it is ok in the end for you and Sam. (We have a conure named Sam too!)

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back