Meet Dactyl:)

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Yes, bugs are a big part of his diet, as well as fruits and low iron pellets. He is on Uni and Beo pellets. He also eats most veggies, he has quite the appetite. I'm definitely going to give him a whole grasshopper tonight with his feed to see what he does with it. Waiting for evening feed so I don't have to touch it..lol
I would be afraid to use anything wild caught here, there is a big field behind us that belongs to the city and they spray several times a year for mosquitoes.

That bug is crazy looking, I have never seen one of those! Speaking of bugs, one thing I so miss from WVA is lightning bugs:(

You'll have to let us know what he thinks of the whole grasshopper! Have you found him willing to eat the canned dead bugs at all? My reptiles wouldn't/don't touch a dead bug (except Mr. Newt, but that's because they move with the filter current). Wondering if Dactyl is the same way? Do any of your parrots show interest in that moving food he eats?

Edit: Hope you can find an aracari for Dactyl to have a buddy. A quick google search of toucan breeders in Canada didn't yield much:( I'm sure with your connections, you have a good chance finding one:)

Last edited:
OP
Terry57

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I will try videoing him tonight when we try the whole grasshopper.
He ate the pieces that were cut up, he eats almost anything deal or alive..lol
Masuka, my Laughing Thrush, eats mealworms, and I tried putting mealworms into the parrot dishes once and then had to pick up every single mealworm from the floor where they disgustedly threw them. It was a horrible experience for us all:eek:

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
I fell in love with aracaris when I met one at the bird store where I got Bixby. They have a boarding facility in the back and a guy had left his vosmaeri eclectus and his aracari there for a long weekend. (Given the necessarily fresh nature of their diets, he wasn't comfortable leaving them alone with his friend.)

Both birds were very tame and well-trained, and the size juxtaposition between the two was hilarious! (That Vos was a BIG BOY!) But that aracari was just a trip to watch. He was such a skilled flier! And just as responsive to targeting commands as any parrot might be.

The owner noticed my fascination and told me about how his ekkie and aracari both were allowed full range freedom of his home 24-7, and that they regularly flew up the stairs every morning to wake him. The aracari would then fly into his sock drawer and wait for him there. Cute little guy.

Terr, I'm really looking forward to tonight's video! Dactyl definitely makes an event out of mealtime!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

OP
Terry57

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Stephen, how cool is that! He waits in his sock drawer? How adorable!
Hopefully Dactyl cooperates for his video:)

OP
Terry57

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
Edit: Hope you can find an aracari for Dactyl to have a buddy. A quick google search of toucan breeders in Canada didn't yield much:( I'm sure with your connections, you have a good chance finding one:)

I am already looking into it, just sent a message to my friend with connections to someone who imports...you have started a fire in my soul for one of those!

Dactyl is prehistorically, uniquely cute.

Thank you, perfectly said!

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
I will try videoing him tonight when we try the whole grasshopper.
He ate the pieces that were cut up, he eats almost anything deal or alive..lol
Masuka, my Laughing Thrush, eats mealworms, and I tried putting mealworms into the parrot dishes once and then had to pick up every single mealworm from the floor where they disgustedly threw them. It was a horrible experience for us all:eek:

That will be cool to watch! Wonder if Dactyl would be motivated to train for bugs? Maybe he just hasn't been offered the right treat yet:54: That's hilarious that your parrots all flung their bugs. I suspect the he-diva around here would too. My parents parrots would probably be thrilled to find bugs in their dishes, those birds will eat anything lol. BTW, I wasn't laughing at you, I was laughing with you envisioning you picking out mealworms from amongst all the food and wood chips at the bottom of their cages:D

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
The owner noticed my fascination and told me about how his ekkie and aracari both were allowed full range freedom of his home 24-7, and that they regularly flew up the stairs every morning to wake him. The aracari would then fly into his sock drawer and wait for him there. Cute little guy.

Terr, I'm really looking forward to tonight's video! Dactyl definitely makes an event out of mealtime!

Hope that guys aracari was potty trained or he may never have had clean socks lol:52:

OP
Terry57

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
Oh, no worries, I laughed about it too after the grossness wore off! They actually threw them out of the cage, they wanted them no where near them.
Maybe you're right about using the right treat, maybe I will get Reg to hold that disgusting grasshopper tonight to see what happens. Great idea, could be amusing! Love your new Avatar, btw!

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)

Hope that guys aracari was potty trained or he may never have had clean socks lol:52:

Hahahahahaha! 😂 So true! It was their propensity for fecal projection that dampened my fire for them a bit! Lol!

Btw, that situation was also my first exposure to the pack-o-bird backpacks. He had one for each of them, and both were happy to fly right over and hop on in.

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Stephen, I was laughing about the birds having 24/7 free flight around his home. Especially the Aracari :eek:. I wonder if he was cleaning constantly, or if his house was disgusting?! LOL

SirEdwin89

Mar 5, 2016
Virginia
Parrots
Confetti (9y/o CAG), Ely (5 y/o Citron SC2), Barney (3 y/o MSC2), Baby (21 y/o Senegal), Peaches (16 y/o M2)
Conan (26 y/o Harlequin Macaw)
Stephen, I was laughing about the birds having 24/7 free flight around his home. Especially the Aracari :eek:. I wonder if he was cleaning constantly, or if his house was disgusting?! LOL

You would need one of those robot vacuums (the ones that constantly move and change direction when they hit a wall) retrofitted to scrub up poop instead!!

Or maybe an army of Oompa Loompas.

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Terry,

I just saw this thread..OMG and holy crap! Dactyl! LOL what a fitting name for the fella lol..
Any update on the guy? New pictures maybe?? "super worms" :eek: I can't even imagine watching him woof one of those babies down lol.

Jim

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon

Yes, bugs are a big part of his diet, as well as fruits and low iron pellets. He is on Uni and Beo pellets. He also eats most veggies, he has quite the appetite. I'm definitely going to give him a whole grasshopper tonight with his feed to see what he does with it. Waiting for evening feed so I don't have to touch it..lol
I would be afraid to use anything wild caught here, there is a big field behind us that belongs to the city and they spray several times a year for mosquitoes.

That bug is crazy looking, I have never seen one of those! Speaking of bugs, one thing I so miss from WVA is lightning bugs:(

You'll have to let us know what he thinks of the whole grasshopper! Have you found him willing to eat the canned dead bugs at all? My reptiles wouldn't/don't touch a dead bug (except Mr. Newt, but that's because they move with the filter current). Wondering if Dactyl is the same way? Do any of your parrots show interest in that moving food he eats?

April,
When Amy is outside in the summer on my front lawn,I have watched her chew twigs AND munch on grubs! :eek:
One time I saw her "run'.. ( I never knew an Amazon could "run" so well lol) and she actually caught,and CHEWED on a cricket! My mouyh hit the grass ;)
Seems like she enjoys a 'live" meal once in awhile lol...I wonder what she'd do with a meal worm..:rolleyes:

Jim

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon

I am so excited! Bundy Rum AND Vegemite and eucalyptus lollies??? Wow, how lucky can a girl get?

Shirre, I took a pic of the superworms in his bowl this morning for you, and also a video of him eating them:)
dactyl2003_zps9a7fa83a.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYT7GneD8vk&feature=youtu.be

Hahaha, I was having so much fun with June's POTM videos, I wasn't ready for the fun to end, I ran across this thread with a video that deserves to be revisited. I would love to see my parrots enjoy a meal with as much enthusiasm as Dactyl has. Hmm, maybe if they had super worms on their menu.

WOW! AMAZING!! I am so glad I saw this thread Terry! That Dactyl sure loves those super worms lol...Crunch the head then suck it down in a couple gulps lol. And what a handsome guy he is.
I can't really tell how big he is..in comparison to say,a 'zon..or conure...how big is he?
Seems like his beaky is even bigger than his head :eek: And that video is fantastic lol.

Jim

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
My JoJo loves super worms! I drop one in his bowl and he grabs it, biting it's head off! Then finishes it off. Every time laughing!

OP
Terry57

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
Thank you for bringing this thread up again, Jim...it always cracks me up to read the comments!
Dactyl is 10 inches long and weighs 105 grams. His body is a little smaller than our Jenday.
I will try to get some decent pics of Dactyl tonight:)

David, I will have to try the conures with a super worm, that never occurred to me! It sounds like JoJo eats them like Dactyl does.

OP
Terry57

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
GCC needs worms in diet?

They don't need them, but it sounds like they enjoy them according to JoJo:)

Sure do! I keep a few bearded dragons, used to raise and sell them. The worms are part of their diet, so I have them on hand. JoJo's interest was always major when he saw them in the tub, but was spooked by their movement. Once he learned the technique, well, Bon appétit!

Most Reactions