Moving a skittish Sun Conure on short notice?

Kazooie

Jun 10, 2018
Hi, I'm not new to the forum's but I forgot my old email and username. I have a sun conure who is rather skittish and spooked easily, and we have to move house by next Saturday, I'm wondering how to make the drive there less stressful for him as he hasn't moved since he was a baby.

I have a rather large travel cage that he's really not used to and is scared of, and I don't have much time to get him used to it, is there anything I can do to make this easier for him? I know keeping them covered helps but even getting him in there is going to be a challenge. The one time I tried to get him in there he flew off terrified, my poor chicken boy.

Any advice is greatly appreciated :orange:

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Hi, I'm not new to the forum's but I forgot my old email and username. I have a sun conure who is rather skittish and spooked easily, and we have to move house by next Saturday, I'm wondering how to make the drive there less stressful for him as he hasn't moved since he was a baby.

I have a rather large travel cage that he's really not used to and is scared of, and I don't have much time to get him used to it, is there anything I can do to make this easier for him? I know keeping them covered helps but even getting him in there is going to be a challenge. The one time I tried to get him in there he flew off terrified, my poor chicken boy.

Any advice is greatly appreciated :orange:

The information you provided as part of signing-up was not helpful in finding your past information. It may be that far more may have changed since you last visit then just your email address and username.

Many parrots are uncomfortable with change and with things that they commonly do not interact. As with anything new or rarely seen, it is best to introduce them to it slowly. In your case, it may be best to place it near his cage in move it next to his cage over the next forty-eight hours, every time you are near his cage when he is in it. This will help, but you maybe stuck with just loading him in if you do not have even that much time.

Covering the cage while traveling will work with some Parrots but not all. Some Parrots become sick while traveling and require being able to see the World around them to better understand the movement of the car. Since you have a 'larger' travel carrier, place some of the toys from his current cage in the travel carrier. Assure the carrier is not always in direct sunlight.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
When you place the travel cage nearby, temporarily use it to store a small amount of his treats! A small bowl of walnuts can do wonders for comfort levels!

Most Reactions

Latest posts