Multi bird households how do you spend equal time?

Doublete

Mar 15, 2015
Maryland
Parrots
"Loki" turquoise GCC 1/4/15 hatch date-- "Chiqui" amazon 9/2010 hatch date---- "Banner" green parrotlet hatchdate 11/22/16

RIP "pineapple" lovebird
Ok so I am still trying to figure out this whole macaw thing.

Those of you with many birds... How do you give everyone time out and together?
So currently my conure and my amazon are usually out together. Sometimes I bring one out and not the other. I don't necessarily let them play "together" but they aren't aggressive and don't bother with each other.
Bonus info if you have a macaw and another two or more birds. Trying to figure out how it works to have a macaw velcroed to you, a conure that usually sits on your shoulder, and an amazon that wants to be played with but usually just hang out nearby.

This decision shouldn't be this difficult and I think I'm overthinking it.
But even if I don't end up thinking a macaw is a good idea, I've always been curious for those of you that have multiple interactive type birds.

Aquila

Nov 19, 2012
Philadelphia
Parrots
Sydney - Blue Front Amazon
Gonzo - Congo African Grey
Willow - Cockatiel
RIP:
Snowy, Ivy, Kiwi, Ghost - Parakeets
Berry - Cinnamon GCC
My Amazon and CAG are fine out ontop of their cages, and when Gonzo manages to make it over to Sydney's cage, they play fine but I prefer to keep them seperate unless I'm in the room. They're both pretty independent and not super clingy, though Sydney will get jealous if I'm playing with Gonzo, which will result in flying bites since he recently discovered his wings again.

My boyfriend and I will bring the birds into the computer room with us while we're home and have their own stands. Sydney doesn't like when I have Gonzo or newly, Willow, with me when he's on or in his cage, he'll cry and cry or come flying after us. Gonzo is fine, and Willow hasn't really been introduced to them yet

If I'm doing any training, I have to do it with both Sydney and Gonzo, but we are trying to separate them and give them individual time with us, but sunflower seed bribes are involved.

itchyfeet

Nov 1, 2014
Middle Earth
Parrots
Ethyl the cockatiel, Henry & Clarke the IRN's, and Skittles the lovebird (my daughters)
I working through the same thought processes - there's a CAG locally...

LeaKP

Aug 11, 2014
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Congo African Grey
I'm lucky in that my two birds are totally different on the attention-needs spectrum. My grey LOVES to be next to me, to get the odd cuddle, head scratch, treat, but he's relatively independent. My GCC is needy so I usually have the GCC cuddling under my chin and am scratching the grey with the other hand. I also take turns walking around with them in the house doing mundane chores - it's time together.

OOwl

Oct 12, 2010
Texas
Parrots
Rosebreasted Cockatoo, Congo Grey, MRH Amazon, Lovebird
I think cage-top play gyms are a great way for the birds to be "out" without having to actually spend one-on-one time with them. My larger guys' cages are in our main living area (open concept house) so they always are in view of us. I have play trees and window perches they can go to for a different view. We talk to and with them, hand them healthy treats while prepping our meals, and ferry them around with us all day. The entire family has just completely incorporated the flock into our daily lives. Each one of us grabs a parrot on our way to the shower or when spending time on the computer or even watching a show on TV. At some point, you really CAN have too many birds, mostly due to cleaning, supplies (toys, quality food, etc.) and vet bills, but having a multiple-bird flock is just a way of life. It helps if the entire family is in agreement and is dedicated to the lifestyle. I also think it's natural for birds to have other birds around, even if they are of a different species from another part of the world.

thekarens

Sep 29, 2013
IMO it's impossible. All my birds are out when I'm home, but my mac demands most of my direct attention. Thankfully the sennies and grey are mostly happy just being out and playing on their own. After I put Zoe to bed I spend one on one with the sennies.

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
This is a question that obviously becomes more tricky the more birds you throw into the equation. I only have 2 at the moment but, for what it's worth, I largely do a turn-based method. While training, for instance, I'll start off with Jolly. I'll do a flight drill with him while Maya watches. She's anxious to interact with me, of course, but now she understands that her turn will come immediately after his. As long as I stick to that unspoken agreement, all is well in the world.

After a flight drill with Jolly, I have him fly over to one of the tree stands and then do harness, turn on command, or whatever other type of training with Maya. (As she still chooses not to fly! Sigh...) Jolly respects this... at least 75% of the time, and eagerly awaits his turn. That all works out rather well.

Once we're all sitting and watching a show or whatever, I'll usually have Jolly on me and Maya on her stand until my wife comes. She'll then take him and I'll grab Maya. (Since Maya tries to eat her every so often. Lol!)

Other times, I just have both on me. They can't be trusted yet to be together on the same arm, though, so I wind up with one on each. Hahaha!

gracebowen

Jan 14, 2015
San Antonio
Parrots
Cora lovebird
Sky parakeet
Thankfully mine all get along. All birds are out all day.

The only one that wants attention is Jet. He mostly comes when he want.
Since Rex joined us Jet has quit talking and wanting me as much so sometimes I go get him.

The rest arent very bonded to me yet.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Short answer. You don't.

The macaws want to be held all the time. So they get the most time.

The amazons and the CAG don't. They want to be handled and interacted with, and then set down to play, and to eat. They are way more independent.

Mine are out 24/7.

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
I'm the oldest of 7 kids. Add to that cousins, day care kids, neighbors, and foster kids, and our house was basically overrun by children. We didn't all get equal attention. We all got food, clothes, toys, boundaries, and yes, love and attention, but it wasn't equal, it depended on needs and personality. My sister is hard of hearing and developmentally delayed, and several grade levels behind because of her life before we adopted her. She get more attention than my other sister who is a social butterfly who is constantly with friends.

In my house my birds don't get equal attention. Flick wants nothing to do with me unless I have food. She is my husband's girl through and through. Some days Mel wants to kill me if I so much as look at her cage, others she wants to be with me constantly. I give her attention when she wants it and I have time, both at the same time. Titan is a yo yo, cache falls asleep in my shirt, and I can basically ignore her and she doesn't know I'm not loving her to pieces. Battle wants scritches constantly so if I don't have time to give her my undecided attention, I distract her. And so on and so forth. It's dependent on who can safely interact with whom, and who wants what, and how my schedule is working that day. It's not about equality it's about love.

riddick07

Dec 22, 2011
PA
Parrots
Blue & Gold Macaw (Titan) & Yellow Naped Amazon (Kelly)
I don't of course....

Kelly gets the most attention. Loki comes next. Then, my green cheeks and female cockatiels get about the same amount of attention with Monkey getting slightly more than the other ones. Then, Folger comes next because he is a balancing act of wigging him out and socializing him. My male cockatiels get none at all except when they are fed and out in the upstairs room. They live in a flight cage with my mothers budgies.

Kelly comes out upstairs while the little ones are out downstairs and Folger is usually in his cage watching them climb around and fly around the room. Folger will be let out upstairs with Kelly when he comes out. Sometimes Folger comes out and I leave him on a stand all day and forget he is there...

Most Reactions