My baby IRN is closing its one eye

softie

Apr 1, 2021
India
Parrots
2 Indian Ringnecks
Hey everyone!

So I have two baby IRN about 35 days old and Sona (the elder one he's exactly about 38 days old) and he has been closing one of his eyes for a while but it wasn't a lot and even now there is no discharge, no red-eye nothing it's just closing its eyes. Nonetheless, I was concerned and I did go to a poultry diagnostic because my city barely has avian vets and he gave me anti-biotics which I had to feed for 5 days. But after 5 days which was yesterday it seems to have gotten worse, he was barely eating my hand-feeds and both of them became really dull, and idk... just off. So I took them to the vet today but they said they couldn't exactly call it an eye infection and gave me some meds and told me to keep an eye on them till the meds get over and if it still doesn't become okay then to bring them back again.

He's pretty active tho even with his one eye close and he started perching today which is really awesome but just that eye is giving me a lot of concerns. Did anyone else face this? Please tell me if it became okay after a while because I don't wanna lose them like this. The vet said it's not a big issue but I'm still really worried.

And honestly, does anyone have an idea at what age do they get active, or are they supposed to start being active after 35 days because I'm confused, lost, and worried.

Thank you for reading this!

Last edited:

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
softie, as you might already know, by the time parrots are showing signs of illness, the problem is likely pretty serious already. They are prey animals, and showing illness in prey animals is a sure way to get picked off by a predator. Stay the course of medication, the whole course. Stopping antibiotics in particular is NOT a good idea, because that means it kills off the weak bacteria and the strong ones survive to make the infection much worse. Same thing as in people.

You can try getting a real avian vet in another city or even country to do a tele-med video call to look at your IRN. Poultry, while birds, are not parrots and the science of treatment for them is different in lots of areas.

OP
S

softie

Apr 1, 2021
India
Parrots
2 Indian Ringnecks
softie, as you might already know, by the time parrots are showing signs of illness, the problem is likely pretty serious already. They are prey animals, and showing illness in prey animals is a sure way to get picked off by a predator. Stay the course of medication, the whole course. Stopping antibiotics in particular is NOT a good idea, because that means it kills off the weak bacteria and the strong ones survive to make the infection much worse. Same thing as in people.

You can try getting a real avian vet in another city or even country to do a tele-med video call to look at your IRN. Poultry, while birds, are not parrots and the science of treatment for them is different in lots of areas.

Yup the vets offered me a new anti-biotics and today was the first day so let's see if there's any improvement. I'm really worried because he seems really weak and I'm trying everything possible to not lose him. I can't even imagine losing him. And the thing is I recently found out keeping Indian ringneck is illegal in my country so there's only few vets who can see them because it's illegal to treat them. Only zoo doctors can treat them legally so that's another issue, unfortunately.

Hopefully he does get better off of this anti-biotics.

Most Reactions