my new baby

justinlm24

Jul 6, 2012
Trenton, OH
Parrots
Eclectus (Jazmine)
African grey Congo (charlie)
OK so I brought home little guy Monday and he is such a sweet guy. Has already almost mastered the step up command except when in or on his cage it takes some coaxing to get him to do it. I am still hand feeding him two formula feedings a day bit about to cut it to one because he is eating fruits and his seed pellet mix pretty well. He is 7 weeks old by the way. I've noticed though that he likes to sit in one spot in his cage or on top on his play stand in one spot. He isn't very active and doesn't touch his toys I got for him. Is this normal behavior? I'm not concerned about him being sick. he eats well and his poops are normal. I guess I've read so much about how active and playful they are I just expected that right from the start. He has only been home for 4 days so maybe he just needs to get used to the routine and new environment. He loves to come out and sit with us and get attention then doesn't want to go back in his cage. But when he does he climbs to the same spot and just sots there. I've tried putting him by his toys or in different areas of the cage but he goes right to the same perch at the top and stays there. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_20130814_132732_491.jpg
    IMG_20130814_132732_491.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 98

Two_Peas

Jul 21, 2013
Parrots
Nico & Arya (Quakers)
I got my Nico as a baby and it took him about a full week to finally start trusting his new environment enough to move around. But those first days were so worrying. He'd literally do nothing but eat and sit and stare. He didn't want to be touched or held, he just wanted to stay in his little comfy cage. I was worried out of my mind but I gave him his space. I didn't force him to do anything.

He's a completely different bird now. As I type this, he's frantically climbing up and down the cage. He now blows kisses, does flock calls, and jumps up and down when I give him kisses. He IS naturally shy, though. That's just the way he is. I have another Quaker who was a firecracker from the get go. They're like people - their personalities vary.

Give him tons of love, healthy food, and attention and he'll be a lean mean loving (and active) machine in no time.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
He may still be settling in. Birds typically do not adjust as well to new situations and environments the way that dogs often do. Give him time and try taking some foot toys and playing with him and the toys at the same time!

Poppetsmum

Jul 31, 2013
Parrots
Poppet. A Quaker.
Awwww congratulations on your new baby. Baby Quakers are just adorable. I agree, he might just need a bit longer to settle.

OP
J

justinlm24

Jul 6, 2012
Trenton, OH
Parrots
Eclectus (Jazmine)
African grey Congo (charlie)
Thanks everyone. He has started playing with a couple of his toys and is more active already. I added a few more perches for him and that seemed to help him maneuver around the cage better and no longer sits on one spot. This morning I finally heard him squawk for the first time. Just twice. So I think he is settling in. He just loves being out with me and riding on my shoulder. So all is well. Thanks again for easing my mind

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Awwww, what a precious Quaker baby!!!! :)

I'm glad he's calming down playing with his toys now...

JenJen

May 29, 2013
Upstate NY
Parrots
Zulu, blue quaker parrot (5.30.13)
Your baby looks very happy! The quietness and stillness should pass with time. I'm finding the more comfortable Zulu gets, the more active s/h gets. Fortunately, s/he's still pretty quiet.

JJ

Most Reactions

Latest posts