My newly re-homed eclectus girl, questions / concerns.

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Slight wet blanket moment, here, but I wouldn't allow the dog to be that close to her open cage. He seems amiable enough with her, but it only takes a moment of instinct overruling training for tragedy to happen. I've read many accounts, even on this very forum, of such happening with a trusted family dog. At the end of the day, they're predator and prey. You know?

Love the pic with the two of you! Bodes VERY well. And she's beautiful!

OP
M

mish_mish

Aug 23, 2017
That dog chases deer and rips into neighbor's cats, but shows no aggression towards the bird. She tries to smell it while wagging her tail and trying to play.
We are a little concerned, but it seems that the dog is losing interest and ignores the bird more and more.

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.
Not being funny or difficult please take all the precautions you can, once something happens it cannot be undone.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Congratulations, she is stunning! You'll find eclectus are keen observers of their environment and adapt to change rather slowly. The flipside is they can be difficult to "read" absent the crest of a cockatoo or wildly pinning eyes of an amazon.

I too advise caution with the close proximity of a dog. While some are overtly hostile, others appear benign and may act on a spurious jealous thought.

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
I love pits but in my experience they can be very mouth. so even if they don't mean to they could do some serious harm especially to a bird where mere contact with saliva could kill. please do be cautious.

OP
M

mish_mish

Aug 23, 2017
I understand, the dog is not left alone with the bird however if we keep them separated all the time accident might happen when they finally meet. We try to let them interact under supervision so that they lose interest in each other.
So far dog sniffed her over few times and showed no interest any further.
Moving her to the new cage, slowly. She sings and makes more and more funny sounds.

Attachments

• 20170826_174512.jpg
    20170826_174512.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 75
  • 20170826_174540.jpg
    20170826_174540.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 69

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
I understand your well intended goal, hopefully the supervised desensitizing will work should an accidental direct contact occur. Unfortunately we never know what our beloved pets are thinking.

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
do NOT feed ekkies corn. They can and will react very badly to it. I'm not entirely sure why but a strict corn free diet is the best way to go. another reason why commercial diets are a no go since most are based with corn.

coopedup

Apr 8, 2016
CA
Parrots
7y/o eclectus Wrangler
Welcome to you both! She's a gorgeous girl and it sounds like she's doing well. It can take a great deal of time for personalities to emerge and grow--a year or more even. As others have said, talking may or may not happen but you still have a wonderful bird/companion. My boy is a closet talker but fortunately I speak "bird" so we communicate just find with clicks and chirrups, growls, squawks, etc. Her early screaching may be flock call, attention, hunger, any number of things. My rescue was quite noisy the first few months until he learned what "normal" was for his new environment. In general ekkies dont like being petted, so you may need to adjust your expectations somewhat. Take your cues from her---you're lucky it's a gentle beak reminder and not a harsher bite. She seems to have a lovely temperment from everything you describe. Fresh foods (chop), veggies high in vitamin A, and keep trying. It may take 4,5, or 10 times for them to decide a new food/toy/perch is ok. Season the chop with cayenne, chili, chinese 5spice, pepper flakes, or other herbs to help change up the flavor. Pepper is always a favorite.

Again, welcome to the forum, nice to have a new member in the flock

Janet and Wrangler

Most Reactions

Latest posts