mystery bird band

jam.mar1e

Dec 19, 2022
Parrots
Indian Ringneck
hello everyone, back in october i suddenly lost my alexandrine parrot. itā€™s quite literally destroyed me, as she was my best friend.

im leaning more towards she was a lot older than i thought she was. i have a 12 year old ringneck who is much more interactive. my alexandrine slept a lot, walked very slow, & just wasnā€™t interested in toys.

we adopted her from a man at a liquor store in 2013. she in a very small, rusty cage. i donā€™t know anything about her. my family was more concerned with getting her home into a better environment.

her leg band has been a mystery to me , so has she. i was wondering if anyone on here would be able to identify the band. many people on facebook have told me it looks like an old import/ sexting band. her band also appears closed but almost fused shut. iā€™ve been around many different parrots and never seen anything like it.

any information would help tremendously:) i want to try everything i can to learn about her potential age and background

Attachments

• 9E4C4A81-FF5C-4C57-854A-D238EE6C312E.png
    9E4C4A81-FF5C-4C57-854A-D238EE6C312E.png
    355.7 KB · Views: 40
  • C0D8E3FF-EEA9-4DE0-8AB4-8FD1E8A8E5E2.png
    C0D8E3FF-EEA9-4DE0-8AB4-8FD1E8A8E5E2.png
    426.9 KB · Views: 36
  • B1D544EF-6C54-4374-B4B8-4663E9ABD02C.png
    B1D544EF-6C54-4374-B4B8-4663E9ABD02C.png
    439.2 KB · Views: 39
  • 67FAA187-60C6-43F7-82CA-3B2DCF39917F.png
    67FAA187-60C6-43F7-82CA-3B2DCF39917F.png
    441 KB · Views: 38
  • 908212BE-614A-4E5D-AF5A-E310A979CF30.jpeg
    908212BE-614A-4E5D-AF5A-E310A979CF30.jpeg
    279 KB · Views: 38

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
And, Facebook looses again.
It is a closed band, that was formed from a rod of steel, folded to create a circle and welded to lock the circle. The numbers and letters are than stamped-on. Common style band used by breeders for inventory control.

Import bands had always been split style bands that allow them to be placed on Adult Parrots. Import stations never sexed arriving Parrots as during those days, they surgically sexed Parrots as DNA sexing was not available. Those bands commonly had two /three letters for the import station, with the last two numbers of a year at a minimum. But that varied widely region to region.

OP
jam.mar1e

jam.mar1e

Dec 19, 2022
Parrots
Indian Ringneck
And, Facebook looses again.
It is a closed band, that was formed from a rod of steel, folded to create a circle and welded to lock the circle. The numbers and letters are than stamped-on. Common style band used by breeders for inventory control.

Import bands had always been split style bands that allow them to be placed on Adult Parrots. Import stations never sexed arriving Parrots as during those days, they surgically sexed Parrots as DNA sexing was not available. Those bands commonly had two /three letters for the import station, with the last two numbers of a year at a minimum. But that varied widely region to region.
Regardless of who may be right or wrong i appreciate the effort. That may be correct, but iā€™ve also seen sexting bands with exactly 4 letters and 3 numbers like hers. but that also wouldnā€™t make sense , as her band wasnā€™t on the correct foot for a female. im almost convinced it was a private breeder or a breeding company that is no longer active. the first 3 letters are LTB, and i know there was a company called love them birds based in florida. but thatā€™s the closest iā€™ve gotten to a potential breeder. the numbers / letters could mean many things

fl1ck

Jan 1, 2023
Parrots
African silver grey x2
hello everyone, back in october i suddenly lost my alexandrine parrot. itā€™s quite literally destroyed me, as she was my best friend.

im leaning more towards she was a lot older than i thought she was. i have a 12 year old ringneck who is much more interactive. my alexandrine slept a lot, walked very slow, & just wasnā€™t interested in toys.

we adopted her from a man at a liquor store in 2013. she in a very small, rusty cage. i donā€™t know anything about her. my family was more concerned with getting her home into a better environment.

her leg band has been a mystery to me , so has she. i was wondering if anyone on here would be able to identify the band. many people on facebook have told me it looks like an old import/ sexting band. her band also appears closed but almost fused shut. iā€™ve been around many different parrots and never seen anything like it.

any information would help tremendously:) i want to try everything i can to learn about her potential age and background
i am not aware if the rules differ from country to country
im in the uk i have two African silver greys
one with a ring and one without
the one with the ring is a import and usually male the females they dont normally ring them
this is from what ive been told at my local pet supplies shop

this would figure out
because the one without the ring is very friendly and can be handled and is probably hand reared in the uk
the one with the ring is still wild and cannot be approached by anybody
and is probably a male

Chenetaqwa

Jul 16, 2022
Parrots
Winston ... 6 month old green cheek conure
4 budgies ( parakeet)

Years ago when it was still legal... wild caught parrots upon entry to the United States ( i believe they entered thru Miami) had an import ring placed on a leg

I had a mulican cocatoo with one ...

They usually had USDA on them ... mine had nothing printed on it but as noted above it was formed from a rod bent into a ring with a small gap.
I don't know if yours is an import ring or not .. but maybe... and if it is an import ring that would mean it was quite old as its been illegal to import wild caught parrots for many years now

Chenetaqwa

Jul 16, 2022
Parrots
Winston ... 6 month old green cheek conure
4 budgies ( parakeet)
both birds are approx 20 years old
The law stopped importing wild caught parrots in october of 1992... so they would need to be over 30 years old to have been wild caught

So on a guess...it's probably a breeders band

Most Reactions