Need help weaning a greencheek conure

Catastrophycat

Aug 5, 2023
Parrots
Cockatiel, conure
Hey everyone! I'm new here so I apologize for any mistakes. 🙏 I got a GCC a week ago, it is my first green cheek, and first not fully weaned bird I've got. He started eating seeds and solids around 10 days ago, breeder claims he's over a month old, I could say about 6-7weeks now. For the last week I have been feeding him formula every 6 hours three times a day and he would gladly eat some, but last two days he has been slowly rejecting it, he will eat just a little bit, then he starts wiggling and running.
Today I've cooked up some quinoa, peas, carrots, zucchini, with chia seeds, gave him a little bit of an apple but he ate just a little bit, although he kept nibbling through the day and had a little bit of seeds too.
Today he also didnt have formula for breakfast and only a little bit for lunch and dinner. He has some seeds and said chop available at all times.
I'm worried he's not eating enough.. He has been playful and cute all day as usual. Attaching a picture of him nibbling on todays food. Do you think he will be okay? I plan to offer him formula for another week but I really hope he eats a bit more.

Attachments

• 20230805_141405.jpg
    20230805_141405.jpg
    195.4 KB · Views: 15

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
I don't have baby bird experience, so take it for what it's worth.
Sounds like you're on the right track with abundance weaning. (Letting the bird decide when they're ready) Have you tried mashing up the new foods to help with the transition from formula to solids?
Here's a thread that might be helpful for you:

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Hey everyone! I'm new here so I apologize for any mistakes. 🙏 I got a GCC a week ago, it is my first green cheek, and first not fully weaned bird I've got. He started eating seeds and solids around 10 days ago, breeder claims he's over a month old, I could say about 6-7weeks now. For the last week I have been feeding him formula every 6 hours three times a day and he would gladly eat some, but last two days he has been slowly rejecting it, he will eat just a little bit, then he starts wiggling and running.
Today I've cooked up some quinoa, peas, carrots, zucchini, with chia seeds, gave him a little bit of an apple but he ate just a little bit, although he kept nibbling through the day and had a little bit of seeds too.
Today he also didnt have formula for breakfast and only a little bit for lunch and dinner. He has some seeds and said chop available at all times.
I'm worried he's not eating enough.. He has been playful and cute all day as usual. Attaching a picture of him nibbling on todays food. Do you think he will be okay? I plan to offer him formula for another week but I really hope he eats a bit more.
It sounds like normal weaning behavior to me. When Rocky my baby budgie was approaching weaning she started rejecting hand feedings and within a week she wanted to eat completely on her own.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
When baby birds get to looking like adults with all their feathers in (like your picture shows) their appetite does drop considerably as their big growth spurt is over so as long as he's eating don't worry about rejecting formula. Keep offering it until it's clear he doesn't want any.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
As you may know, the sure way to know if baby is eating enough is... you guessed it! A kitchen scale that reads out in grams. Weighing every day at the same time ( and after the morning poop) keeping track of it will show if he is losing or gaining weight. If the baby is rejecting formula for certain prior feedings, that a good indication he is self-weaning, or abundance weaning. I would offer the formula at each scheduled time and give him the opportunity to eat that. THe chop is the way to go. Also try cooked yams mashed up, sweet potatoes too.

Most Reactions

Latest posts