Need help with bird selection

OP
E

Evyllchyld

Jul 19, 2007
WOW birdcrazy, I just did google images and they are amazing!!! Thanks for the suggestion i'm going to look into these for sure!

OP
E

Evyllchyld

Jul 19, 2007
Well, I was looking at some rescues online and I was just wondering why they will only adopt out to people within 50 miles?? Doesn't it show that you really are suitable for an adoption if you drive further then that a few times??

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
Our rescue people go round after a little while, just to check on the animal. Maybe thats the same out there, and thats why? They don't have the funds or the time to go travelling miles and miles. :confused:

indigo

May 20, 2007
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
Serenity & Pix and their kids Jade & Tango (Peachfaced Lovebirds) and Bonnie (Budgie)
That's probably it Peta. I know the one near me does that and unannounced may I add. Its all there in the adoption contract as well as if you cannot keep the bird you are contractually bound to return it to the rescue. Although invasive a little, I admire them for that. They take it very seriously and that is what needs to be the case.

Note: Now that I live closer to them, I think I will look into volunteering there a few days a week. I've talked to them about that previously, but I was not living as close as I am now.

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
and unannounced may I add.

Yep its unannounced here too. They do phone you (or the RSPCA where we got Rex from did) but it was when they were outside the front door.

Although invasive a little, I admire them for that.

Agree with ya there.

We adopted Rex when he was 8 weeks old, when he was 10 weeks he was playing with Jess, who had a pulley toy and she was shaking it, it hit Rex on the leg and broke his leg :eek: I was so scared that the RSPCA would turn up while he was in a cast and take him away. They didn't and I was gonna keep it quiet, I felt so bad, when the lady turned up I was fine until she said "Any problems" I just blurted it out, he broke his leg, but we took him to the vets, (running to grab hold of the receipts) the poor woman was laughing so hard she was crying. :D

indigo

May 20, 2007
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
Serenity & Pix and their kids Jade & Tango (Peachfaced Lovebirds) and Bonnie (Budgie)
hehehe ... that's kindda funny. I think it should be standard for all organizations and individuals adopting out animals. When I have to part with some baby lovebirds (it will happen at some point - if none other mate, Pix and Serenity are little horny things) I will be including that into my sale contracts. If someone doesn't like that then they can get their bird from someone else.

birdcrazy

Oct 6, 2006
Media
Orlando, FL / Austin, TX
Parrots
Misty ~ Cockatiel,
Sidney ~ Jenday Conure,
Paulie ~ Blue Crowned Conure
I know be really careful about rescues some of the parrot ones I have looked into the contract just makes it not worth it like it's not really your bird your just taking care of it for them. One said at any time if clean water is not avalible they can seize your bird. Now we who have birds know it's impossible to keep the water clean all the time I change Sidney's sometimes 4 times a day and he still drags newspaper and pellets and who knows what else!

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
I change Sidney's sometimes 4 times

Wow thats good, I have to change Georges water maybe 7 or 8 times, and thats a good day. She's a real dirty so and so. It seems as soon as I put clean water in she has to fill it up again with anything she can find. The morning water looks like it hasn't been changed in a month. :eek: I'm trying the water bottles, but so far the only one who drinks from it is Harley, bless her.

indigo

May 20, 2007
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
I have two water bottles and the only one that even touched it really was pogo (my one legged budgie who passed not long ago). He liked it though i think because he didn't have to bend over, but even he didn't use it reliably.

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
Yeah looks like I'll be adding even more water bowls, maybe Charlie will overlook one of them. :D

TexDot33

Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
15 year-old Sun Conure: Hamlet &
14 year-old Green-Cheeked Conure: Mac
I put cleam water in a cage and Mac and Ham automatically think it's BATH-TIME ... I swear, Hamlet didn't do this until he saw Mac doing it ... What a bad influence that little GCC has been on my "saintly sunny!" :18:

birdcrazy

Oct 6, 2006
Media
Orlando, FL / Austin, TX
Parrots
Misty ~ Cockatiel,
Sidney ~ Jenday Conure,
Paulie ~ Blue Crowned Conure
lol it must be a conure thing - I think Sindey purposly dirties his water when he wants a bath so I will give him fresh if I give him another bowl for a bath he won't use just his water bowl :)

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
lol it must be a conure thing

Nope think it must be a bird thing. Even Bucc and Kito get in their water bowls as soon as they have clean water put in I've put bowls in their cages just for bathing and none of them use it, just look at me as if I'm crazy. :D

indigo

May 20, 2007
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
if it is a conure thing, then its also a lovebird thing lol

seconds after giving them clean water its got something or other in it (and sometimes that something is Serenity). Bonnie on the other hand, nope, her water is always clear of anything but water, even when I go to change it. She keeps her cage real tidy though. I put paper at the bottom and 5 minutes after doing so the lovebirds have shredded nearly all of it (grr) but Bonnie's paper is just as I put it all the time. She is kind of a princess :)

pheobus

Jun 14, 2007
Media
I tried the water bottles with my rosella (Sissy) who is so so messy and she tore it apart letting the water run on the floor making a small pool (it was a big bottle), the same with the smaller one, so it had to be done her way as you understand, I think it is impossible to keep her water clean 100%, I should do nothing else allday but sit by her cage holdin the bowl the whole time, ready to run to the kitchen...:eek: :D :D

My Phoebus has reduced the amount of water she drinks since she got bored of those vitamins, now that she hasn't any, why hasn't she started drinking more again?Is it because she many eats greens and fruits that contain water? :confused:

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
tore it apart letting the water run on the floor making a small pool

I've been trying the water bottle, and my Rosella's did the same thing a few mins ago, water everywhere and lots of bits to the bottle.

indigo

May 20, 2007
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
First, they do have the glass ones (I'd not use them though because if the risk if they were to break), and next shes probably not drinking much because she thinks those icky vitamins are in the water still. that's my two cents worth.

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
why hasn't she started drinking more again?

As soon as she realises that those vitamins aren't in there anymore she'll start drinking again, in the meantime keep those veggies in there, and you could even sprinkle some water over them.

Yeah my water bottle (rest its soul) was the plastic ones and now its no more. :( They never drank from there just wanted to destroy it. :D Just gonna keep changing the water 100 times a day, I mean what else have I got to do, except change their water. :D

Most Reactions

Latest posts