Need some tips/advices for weaning my Green Cheek Conure!

Edgar

May 12, 2023
Parrots
Green Cheek Yellow sided Conure
My little GCC named Chico, is almost 2 months old now and it's been about 5-6 days since she has started to show weaning traits. She eats millets, peeled off sunflower seeds and puffed rice. I offer her fruits and she doesn't show interest in them. Moreover, she is starting to learn to peel off the sunflower seeds on her own using her feet to hold it ( although she fails to do it sometimes). However, she still squawks to be handfed NutriBird A21 formula from time to time and I still provide her with that meal.

Now, I want to use sunflower seeds for training/teaching Chico tricks in the near future and so, want to refrain from using it as a meal. What are some diet plans that I can provide my GCC with right now? I am thinking of getting psittacus high protein pellets as well. It would be really helpful if I get some proper diet plan suggestions (for instance how many times to feed, when to feed, what to feed, which fruits do GCCs like to eat etc.).

Attachments

• 348357914_644043593800772_8382578736190315971_n.jpg
    348357914_644043593800772_8382578736190315971_n.jpg
    166 KB · Views: 24

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Welcome to the forums!

I would continue feeding her the formula as long as she wants it.

I would offer her vegetables along with fruit. You could try mashing it up and maybe warming it slightly so it sort of emulates her formula.
You could do the same for the pellets.

I would leave solid food out for her 24/7 too. Don’t offer her too many sunflower seeds as you don’t want her to get addicted to eating them exclusively.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Welcome to the forums!

I would continue feeding her the formula as long as she wants it.

I would offer her vegetables along with fruit. You could try mashing it up and maybe warming it slightly so it sort of emulates her formula.
You could do the same for the pellets.

I would leave solid food out for her 24/7 too. Don’t offer her too many sunflower seeds as you don’t want her to get addicted to eating them exclusively.
I weaned my hand fed budgie onto Harrison's Super Fine pellets. They are tiny and easy for baby birds to eat. I actually mixed them into her formula the last two weeks I hand fed her so she would get used to the texture and taste. At seven months old now she still enjoys these pellets as a regular part of her complete diet.

Most Reactions