Thanks
1659905768487.png

1659905765644.png
bud1.png

so any advice on his gender please?

bonitabird59

Apr 12, 2022
1. Looks female to me
2. Round cages are awful for birds and are not recommended. Please upgrade your cage and do some research on the care of budgies.

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
To me it looks more like a male- females tend to have blue/white ceres.

You may need to wait till the budgie is older.

How are your other birds?

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
To me it looks more like a male- females tend to have blue/white ceres.

You may need to wait till the budgie is older.

How are your other birds?
I agree with Pipp. There is a sticky thread on budgie ceres (a thread at the top of the budgie forum) that may help:

But yes, young males (and adult albino, lutino, creamino, and recessive pied males) all have light pink ceres, while young females have light blue and white ceres.

bonitabird59

Apr 12, 2022
Dark blue is the only male trait that I've seen, but this is shown between 6m-1yr old. To me, your budgie looks female. My pied female has a purple-blue cere just like yours, we thought she was male for the longest time but behold! A lovely little lady named Betty :)

Rowlet

Jul 18, 2022
Parrots
Pico - Green Cheek Conure
The breeder I got my bird from also has young budgies available and he has a disclaimer that "gender determination is about 80% accurate at this age". So I think the only way to be 100% certain would be a DNA test. They're usually included in a wellness checkup at the vet (at least they are in my area) and it's recommended for any new bird to get a wellness checkup at an avian vet anyhow so if you really want to be 100% sure that's what I would recommend

It does look like a male to me but it may be just the lighting or angle so I really can't say for certain

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
Male.

Or spend 14 dollars for Florida bird DNA test for definite answer.

I'd say male though.

Most Reactions

Latest posts