New and need advice

AmandaJC808

Jul 11, 2022
Parrots
African Ringneck
Hellooo!

I have an African Ringneck that I acquired through a rescue. She seems to be moulting for what seems like forever, circa 3 months now, new feathers are coming through and she is still losing the odd one. At what point does this stop?

Thanks

Amanda

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
Welcome to the forums!! I am very excited you're here as I also have an African Ringneck! 😁

He was almost entirely plucked when I adopted him at the end of March and has been actively molting new feathers in for over a month now. His situation is different since he was naked and was also very ill, but I was advised to increase protein while he's growing feathers and to make sure he's eating as good a diet as I can convince him to eat.

How long have you had your bird? Is she settled in pretty well? Eating a mix of foods? Does she make happy chirpy monkey sounds? And do you have pictures 😁😁😁 lol - can you tell I'm excited to meet you?!

😁🥰

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
Kirby has also been dropping feathers here and there continuously, after a particularly hardcore molt in which he shed a TON; here’s a photo of his “collection”:

C74419BE-1381-4455-AEEA-C094AEE2E515.jpeg

Most of these are from this year!!! As long as your baby doesn’t look patchy or have areas where there appears to be obvious and significant feather loss, I would not be too concerned. If you do see patchy areas where you can see his downy feathers or if there are other signs (listlessness, lethargy) that might indicate a medical issue, touch base with your bird’s vet!

If you don’t have a vet yet, we have a certified avian vet resource thread here to help you find one:

Vampiric_Conure

May 16, 2022
Media
Albums
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Parrots
Charlie (M) - 23 yrs - Peach Front Conure
Redshift (M)-22yrs - normal Cockatiel
Moon (M) - 2 ys - wf pied cockatiel
Chara (F)- 1 yr - wf pied cockatiel
Hello hello! Welcome!

As for molting - it seems indoor birds will molt year round, especially if there's artificial heat in the colder months. As long , as was already said by ravvlet, there's no patchy areas, you should be okay. Protein (in my case, in the form of egg food bought at a pet store) can help build strong feathers.

OP
A

AmandaJC808

Jul 11, 2022
Parrots
African Ringneck
Some, like my JoJo, don’t really seem to go through formal molts! He drops feathers here and there all the time! And always has pin feathers!

Helloooooooo!
Ok thanks for the response, she seems to be quite grumpy though and regularly squalking because of the discomfort of the new feathers, I spray her with water at least twice a day, more now as it is so hot!

OP
A

AmandaJC808

Jul 11, 2022
Parrots
African Ringneck
Relax - my Amazon drops feathers almost continuously too. More at certain times of the year, but always find the odd feather or 2.
She is in discomfort at times though and very bitey, it's why I am hoping this will end!

OP
A

AmandaJC808

Jul 11, 2022
Parrots
African Ringneck
Welcome to the forums!! I am very excited you're here as I also have an African Ringneck! 😁

He was almost entirely plucked when I adopted him at the end of March and has been actively molting new feathers in for over a month now. His situation is different since he was naked and was also very ill, but I was advised to increase protein while he's growing feathers and to make sure he's eating as good a diet as I can convince him to eat.

How long have you had your bird? Is she settled in pretty well? Eating a mix of foods? Does she make happy chirpy monkey sounds? And do you have pictures 😁😁😁 lol - can you tell I'm excited to meet you?!

😁🥰
Lol :) Glad to hear your feathers are improving on your birb. I have had her since January, she's lovely but still quite bitey and prone to lunging, but does love a good dance with me. Here she is eating some sweetcorn a couple of weeks ago

Attachments

• 1657629344934.jpg
    1657629344934.jpg
    169.8 KB · Views: 54
OP
A

AmandaJC808

Jul 11, 2022
Parrots
African Ringneck
Hello hello! Welcome!

As for molting - it seems indoor birds will molt year round, especially if there's artificial heat in the colder months. As long , as was already said by ravvlet, there's no patchy areas, you should be okay. Protein (in my case, in the form of egg food bought at a pet store) can help build strong feathers.
Thanks I have been giving her the odd bit of egg and the occasional prawn for the protein/minerals

OP
A

AmandaJC808

Jul 11, 2022
Parrots
African Ringneck
Lol :) Glad to hear your feathers are improving on your birb. I have had her since January, she's lovely but still quite bitey and prone to lunging, but does love a good dance with me. Here she is eating some sweetcorn a couple of weeks ago
Also she was clipped by her previous owners so unable to fly, once the feathers grow back she will hopefully be a bit more friendly. She does make some cute sounds when she is happy :)

OP
A

AmandaJC808

Jul 11, 2022
Parrots
African Ringneck
Kirby has also been dropping feathers here and there continuously, after a particularly hardcore molt in which he shed a TON; here’s a photo of his “collection”:

View attachment 41972

Most of these are from this year!!! As long as your baby doesn’t look patchy or have areas where there appears to be obvious and significant feather loss, I would not be too concerned. If you do see patchy areas where you can see his downy feathers or if there are other signs (listlessness, lethargy) that might indicate a medical issue, touch base with your bird’s vet!

If you don’t have a vet yet, we have a certified avian vet resource thread here to help you find one:

Hi that is quite a haul! She was at the exotic vets a couple of months ago for a general check over, gender test and seemed to be ok, nothing out of the ordinary, she's just a bit grumpy at times because of the feathers, thanks!

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
Awww! Kirby also gets really grumpy sometimes; pinfeathers can be itchy and irritating! I hope for your sake her molt ends soon so she settles down.

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
She's so cute!! And adorably enjoying her veggies 🥰🥰🥰

My bird has also seemed a lot grumpier when he has lots of pins coming in at the same time. I wonder if they tend to be more "leave me alone" since they aren't allopreeners/don't preen each other?

maddox

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
2022 Parrot of the Year 🏆
Mar 15, 2022
Media
Fairfield Connecticut, USA
Parrots
Maddox is a green cheek conure
I really wouldn't worry about that at all. My conure Maddox is also in a constant subtle state of molting. The important thing to pay attention to is if your bird is pulling out most of its own feathers. This usually means a high deal of stress. But if it is just dropping a few here and there is no need to worry. Welcome to the community!

Most Reactions