New Bird Owner Thread no. 100000000

DandWilson

Dec 18, 2011
Parrots
Peach Faced Lovebird - Wilson
Hi All,

First post here, just wanted to say its a great site. had a lot of different ideas from here.

Three weeks ago I got a 16 week old peach faced lovebird called Wilson. He is amazing. I have been sat with him, talking to him loads, and have developed a great bond with him. I am more than happy with the progress I have had so far. He will timidly eat out of my hand and is more than happy with me being in with him. The problem is I am not sure where to go next. I essentially want to teach him to step up onto my hand or approach me so i can play with him (as in touch him). as I said he is more than happy with me being there. I have tried taking him from his cage using the cupping method, but he just wouldn't settle, he didn't seem to like it at all. All I am asking really is for your advice in the next step to make him approach my hand for playing. I haven't tried much except having food in my hand. He will happily sit and eat out of my hand with me right next to him. The plan was to keep going with food until he sits on my hand to eat, but I wanted some advice.

Thanks in advance.

D and Wilson

oled

Jul 10, 2011
South Sweden
Parrots
Ville a double yellow head Amazon
I thing you are doing the right think just keep on. Welcome to this forum

OP
D

DandWilson

Dec 18, 2011
Parrots
Thanks for the encouragement. It's amazing the progress he's made so far so I'm super happy. It is always nice to be told that what I am doing is right though!

Conito4Ever

Nov 17, 2011
Teaneck, NJ / NYC
Parrots
Hahn's Macaw 'Minty' (Mentita) - doh 08/05/11 aka Mentita; Peachface Lovebird 'Pichito' doh 10/05/10; baby CAG "Coco" doh 01/25/12; Sun Conure 'Conito' doh 04/13/11 RIP 11/14/11.
Welcome to the forum, lovies are great 'little' birds. I have a female peachface (Pichito). You are doing ok.

OP
D

DandWilson

Dec 18, 2011
Parrots
Thanks. He seems totally amazing so far. Great company. Feel like I've had him forever!!

OP
D

DandWilson

Dec 18, 2011
Parrots
Just quick update. He now will go on my hand comfortably. Super happy with the progress made so far. He has found the loose skin on my knuckle to play with though, bit painful but he's so playful and calm. Doesn't bite at all, just plays. So so so happy!

Porter_Nibbler

Apr 3, 2012
Bucks County, PA
Parrots
Peach Faced Lovebirds
Porter and Nibbler
Just quick update. He now will go on my hand comfortably. Super happy with the progress made so far. He has found the loose skin on my knuckle to play with though, bit painful but he's so playful and calm. Doesn't bite at all, just plays. So so so happy!

lol, my LB Porter did that to me today. I've had mine about a week now and the other one,Nibbler, will eat food i'm holding and perch on my head when the other one, Porter, is on my head first. Porter has taken to me pretty quickly but nibbler is still a little timid around me. When your bird bites is it full force all at once? Porter will sometimes lightly nip my hand but then slowly increase pressure until i have to let out a little noise then he lets go. I wonder if he is just testing how much force to use maybe lol.

OP
D

DandWilson

Dec 18, 2011
Parrots
It has been a while! Just to update, Wilson is out a lot and doesn't want to leave me. He has fallen in love with a cardigan I own to the point he seems infinitely happier out if I wear it. Don't get me wrong, if I am not wearing it he is still happy to see me but he loves it if I wear it.

I couldn't be happier with him to be honest, the affection he gives is amazing and he is such a character. My other half moved her head the other day, not knowing Wilson was 'biting' her ear lifting him so he was only holding on to her by his beak. More than happy. Thanks for all help on here.

In reply to Porter_Nibbler, it depends. If I am playing scrappily with him he will be a little more forceful, but never in an aggressive way, if not he only really nibbles, if that. It is very affectionate. He doesn't do it much any more really. Started sitting in the V of my collar and pulling my beard hairs out which hurts but I think he only uses force if we are playing 'rough' or if he is testing me, and then it is how you explained, slowly to see what I can take.

Thanks all

D and Wilson

Instagram

evesta

Mar 22, 2012
Nebraska
Parrots
House and Wilson-Lineolated Parakeet Brothers
Welcome! Lovies are so cute and it sounds like you both are doing just fine. You will be amazed everyday at the progress he makes. I also have a bird named Wilson, a lineolated parakeet, after the character on House. My other boy is named House. Little parrots may be small, but those of us who are lucky enough to be owned by one know what "big" birds they are;) Would love to see pics!

Most Reactions

Latest posts