New Bird Owner

Barrettbird

Dec 22, 2011
Hi guys, I'm new to this forum and new to owning birds. I have recently bought a lovebird it's a black masked. I got him today and haven't decided a name yet. If you can leave suggestions. I just want to know like how to get him back out of the cage, and what to do to get him used to me.

PetoftheDay

Dec 27, 2010
Boston area, MA
Patience, patience and patience. Sit by the cage, talk to him, but don't try to reach in and grab him, let him approach you. It'll take time, but it is so worth it!

OP
B

Barrettbird

Dec 22, 2011
I think this is a miracle. I opened the cage door and I sat there reading a my book aloud to him and he came out. I was like oh well I guess if he made it this far he might let me pet him. As I go to pet him he jumps onto my finger. Now he's hooked on me and doesn't want to get off. He is happily sitting on my shoulder as I look at the internet.

carvertmmy

Jan 11, 2012
I'm hoping it goes this easily for me!!!!!!

I love birds, especially lovebirds but I am afraid of beaks!!!!!! I bought a cockatiel once that tore me up. Two days after I got her she showed signs of illness so I returned her to the store.

Tammy :rainbow1::rainbow1:

cockatielfan17

Nov 20, 2011
u are lucky normally u have to wait a couple days for them to settle in so they can get used to there new home but urs loved u right away now that is the starting of a huge bond

Most Reactions