AnimalLovers45789

Mar 4, 2022
Parrots
None
Hi, my names katy and Iā€™ve been thinking about getting a bird but I need some help on which one to get?
Iā€™ve already done a couple years of research and am well aware that birds arenā€™t as what is seen online though they do have their moments. I know they bite and get hormonal and that you need to deescalate the situation. Honestly bites donā€™t get to me as iā€™ve been hurt by countless animals. Particularly horses since I have rode for years and have been bit, kicked and thrown off but was raised by saying ā€œif your animal hurts you what did you do wrong?ā€ Because itā€™s never the animals fault. Iā€™ve also dealt with many hormonal animals and know what to do but iā€™ve watched videos online to know birds can/will be different from your typical farm animal. I would take the animal to the vet I used to have with my Guinea pig who passed a couple years ago, as they are very nice and informative and do many exotic animals. As much as I love candles I donā€™t mind getting rid of them. I wouldnā€™t cut the birds wings since I would love to learn how to free fly with them. Iā€™m prepared to pay for lessons at a local sanctuary to learn how to do so and how to bond.
An important thing to know is that I am still a minor (high school age) and will be for a couple more years but looking into the future I already have it decided for myself and will be financially stable because it is a growing field and I started saving now to rent a house! as long as I can pay for the first costs my parents will support me as much as I need. Currently noise isnā€™t a problem nor is time. My father stays home all day and I on average have 9+ hours at home with sports and clubs. Everyone knows I chose not to have a social life which means iā€™m free 24/7 usually. My friends have birds, one has over 20 and my other just got her first bird a Cockatiel who is still a baby. Personally I would want an older bird rather then a baby. I honestly donā€™t care if the bird is cuddly or talks I just need a partner to chill with me! Iā€™ve been told macaws, cockatoos, eclectus, African grays and sun conures donā€™t make good pets in general. Quakers and lovebirds can be aggressive and so can cockatiels. Amazons can be bossy? Iā€™m not sure but some others birds are out of my price range that are recommended. I donā€™t want a cockatiel becuase I feel like iā€™m copying my friend since it was her idea to get a bird first. I was thinking maybe a green check or pineapple conure since their smaller, iā€™ve found a senior amazon (with cage but does better with one bird rather then more) but I can already feel the warning comments from here. Maybe a ringneck but they can be pricey, my budget is around 500 for the BIRD because thatā€™s all iā€™ve saved up for right now. Can someone please help? If you want more info I will do my best to provide it without revealing to much personal information about me!

Side note -

Me and my friends have wanted to go to college together and agreed if it does happen we could share rent for a house. None of them care if we have animals since we both want to go into animal related fields. Her a vet/animal rescue sanctuary and me an ichthyologist. If it falls through I still got my extra savings. šŸ˜Š oop another thing we have screens on all windows and doors plus I love projects and could build an outdoor aviary for them. Plus my neighbors are super chill and donā€™t care about noise unless itā€™s a very controversial music songs blasting at 1 in the morning. Iā€™ve also looked at regulations and there doesnā€™t seem to be anything horrible other then handling a dangerous birds like hawks. Plus my dad has experience with birds and loves all animals no matter how much he tries to deny it!

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Hello! Welcome to the forum :)

I think it might be a better idea to get a bird if you're out of school, but I can't really tell you that because I'm a minor and I have a whole flock!

Keep in mind that noot only is the bird itself expensive, but all the supplies! I'm sure you know that since it seems you have done a lot of research.

All birds can be aggressive, that's for sure. It's just that some bird are more likely to be aggressive than other birds.

Budgies can be sweet but take a lot of effort in taming. I say this from experience!

Some cockatiels are aggressive, but my Pippen is very tame. She's never bit me other than when I trim her nails. She does try to show me who's boss though by hissing at me and "attacking" me!(by "attacking", I mean pecking me, LOL)

Conures in general can be a bit territorial, Quakers too.

Large parrots are just very expensive and messy.

What are you looking for/not looking for in a bird? That way, I can suggest some birds to do some research on. Just continue doing research! This forum is the best place to do research.

If you have any questions on bird care please shoot them right my way! I'm always happy to help peopleā˜ŗļø

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
If you paint, you need to paint in a different room because paint fumes are harmful to birds.

Older birds can sometimes be easier than baby birds because oh boy, baby birds can be a pain in the back! I don't recommend buying birds to hand-rear, it doesn't make them tamer and most ethical breeders will refuse to sell un-weaned birds. Weaning baby birds is really a pain in the back, I hand reared Pippen!

Maybe a cockatiel is a good bird for you, most of them are very chill :)

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Welcome and be welcomed. WHile some people can make having a parrot while they are still in high school and more importantly college, the vest majority recommend that acquiring a parrot is best left to after you complete your advanced studies and have established yourself in your profession and private life. Can it be done, having a parrot while attending school and getting a degree? Yes, but that's rare. We read on this forum many times where the owner has taken on a lot of credits and their free time is restricted to the point where the parrot is given smaller and smaller chunks of attention, and that's where the slippery slide starts. Biting, plucking and screaming, the triple crown of reasons parrots are rehomed, often start when the amount of attention they are used to receiving get smaller and smaller. Can it be done? If you have the support of your parents or relatives or friends, maybe. I personally know I could not have done it, and I only went for an engineering degree, your degree will likely need some advanced degree to land a good job in the field. And my folks were not particularly well off, to help with rent, food, bills, etc. I had to work a night job and go to class by day, with very little free time and that was spent making ,, playing and performing music. I waited until I was established w/full time job, and paying rent etc, before I got my first parrot. Also consider if your SO at the time will love parrots as much as you. My 1st wife was never crazy about Winston, a large AMazon, and when we had kids the parrot was very resentful and started to bite them. We had to rehome him. Having a parrot, especially ones that have 20-30-40+ year life spans will affect the dynamics of any relationship.

I love that you are doing the research befoe plunging in, I wish more would do so.
But keep in mind as you ease into adulthood that life happens and we cannot always plan for it.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
like Wrench said,
One of my parrots was given to me by a college kid. He absolutely loved and provided excellent care for his parrots. But a full course load, part time job, significant other, hobbies it was completely too much!! He knew he couldn't provide the attention needed on a daily basis. When I was in college I could not have either .

But everyone and every situation is different .

Pionus might be a species to look into as tgey are more quiet.

The big thing is noise, even happy loud squawking, when it is at sunrise....well not many room mates are going to be ok with wake up squawking....or when on phone or trying to study or watch a movie..

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
Hey, Katy. Welcome!
I agree with everyone above. It's definitely better to get a parrot when you are out of school - then again, I got my first at 15, by the time I moved out I had a flock of 4, and I kept getting more throughout college. But it was very challenging, I had to spend every single moment of every single day with them, as long as I wasn't in school. Owning parrots when you are in school is far from easy and NOT for everyone.
My amazon is bossy and I would not recommend him to a child/teen, ever. He is such a big commitment, a ton of work, will be around for many major life changes (I'm only in my early 20s, so who knows what's next for me). Ekkies, cockatoos, and macaws are not ideal for you, either, and it depends on what you think of as a "good pet", but I don't think they really are one. Greys and conures, while I've never owned them, can be sweet and loving, but others are nippy and territorial. Plenty of young conure owners are on this forum, so I hope one of them can find this, but I don't know any minors with African greys and I'm definitely ok with that.
Supplies for the bird are sometimes more expensive than the animal itself and aren't something you can only buy once. I spend at least $300 on my six a month, often more.
What personality traits, etc are you looking for in a bird?
Just don't stop doing research, and stick around here, you'll learn a lot!

Miamax10

Mar 23, 2022
Parrots
Phoenix ELECTUS parrot
Hi i if you want a parrot that will love to sit with you and be with you without having to occupy the like a electus parrot I would go for a baby hand raise male Alexanderine parrot because I had one when I was 12 and they are the most loyal quiet parrot that want attention by sitting with you eight on your shoulder or on a stand only thing they love chewing wood like macaw so you have to keep lot of wood objects in cage so I would choose one of these from experience compared to others in they prefer quite time than loudly talking compared to some parrot but t are still parrots

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Hi i if you want a parrot that will love to sit with you and be with you without having to occupy the like a electus parrot I would go for a baby hand raise male Alexanderine parrot because I had one when I was 12 and they are the most loyal quiet parrot that want attention by sitting with you eight on your shoulder or on a stand only thing they love chewing wood like macaw so you have to keep lot of wood objects in cage so I would choose one of these from experience compared to others in they prefer quite time than loudly talking compared to some parrot but t are still parrots
Hand rearing is very risky. Hand rearing does not necessarily make them tamer. Hand rearing is not promoted on this forum. There are so many posts on this forum as to why hand rearing isn't a good idea. And yes, I know some hand reared birds are very tame, such as your bird or my cockatiel who was hand reared.

Miamax10

Mar 23, 2022
Parrots
Phoenix ELECTUS parrot
Hi sorry just to clarify I wasnā€™t talking about Hand rearing I Wa talking about buying a baby alexandrine parrot at about when breeder sell their hand raised parrot about when they been probably weanEd sorry you misunderstood me I never Hand rearing a parrot itā€™s too risky to many thins can go wrong i love getting baby parrot that been on fruit and pellets before I get them lest things to go wrong šŸ‘
Hand rearing is very risky. Hand rearing does not necessarily make them tamer. Hand rearing is not promoted on this forum. There are so many posts on this forum as to why hand rearing isn't a good idea. And yes, I know some hand reared birds are very tame, such as your bird or my cockatiel who was hand reared.

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Hi sorry just to clarify I wasnā€™t talking about Hand rearing I Wa talking about buying a baby alexandrine parrot at about when breeder sell their hand raised parrot about when they been probably weanEd sorry you misunderstood me I never Hand rearing a parrot itā€™s too risky to many thins can go wrong i love getting baby parrot that been on fruit and pellets before I get them lest things to go wrong šŸ‘
I see. Yes, many people get babies from breeders as it is usuallt easier to socialize them at the age and it's a lot easier to get them to eat healthy foods :)

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month šŸ†
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
I like your style... researching, reaching out...
I got my bird in college, and I'm now retired. It has been a long and enriching journey. I must confess that there have been times of great stress and confusion and complicated living considerations. Now that we are (both, lol) retired, life is easier, for sure.
I'm glad you're here. This place has been a gigantic help to me. If only I had had it back in 1984 when I impulsively brought home a Patagonian Conure chick!!!!
Stick with us!
9lhIlM0.jpg

Most Reactions

Latest posts