New bird!!

asterrjones

Feb 29, 2020
Hi there, I’m aster and I’ve just purchased a new budgie from a rather useless pet shop that said they didn’t how old or what sex the bird is. I am thinking female and maybe 4 months ish. Her eye is all black and there are some faint head stripes . Also lots of dark barring on the wings. I think this fades with age but I’m not sure. Any help would be great. Thanks:
7c81d9acfbedecfd77ec388cd6c34a0c.jpg

62d2551207c4b58df601ce4d74b9a802.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aavogaro

Jan 3, 2020
Austin, TX
Parrots
Fish & Blue - the budgie brat pack
Snoopy - lovable M whitefaced cockatiel
(Pending adoption) Paco - 25yo CAG
Hi Aster. Welcome and congratulations on your ADORABLE new addition. What a pretty bird. I am not an expert but after all the research I did regarding trying to determine the age of my budgies I am going to go out on a limb and say your budgie is between 4-5 months old since a little bit of the barring appears not to have molted out yet. And while your bird is still pretty young I am going to guess you have a little girl as I can not see any indication of a blue tint starting to appear on its cere. Is this your first feathered friend? And what’s its name?

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 40-year-old Patagonian Conure
OP
A

asterrjones

Feb 29, 2020
Hi Aster. Welcome and congratulations on your ADORABLE new addition. What a pretty bird. I am not an expert but after all the research I did regarding trying to determine the age of my budgies I am going to go out on a limb and say your budgie is between 4-5 months old since a little bit of the barring appears not to have molted out yet. And while your bird is still pretty young I am going to guess you have a little girl as I can not see any indication of a blue tint starting to appear on its cere. Is this your first feathered friend? And what’s its name?

Thank you that’s pretty much exactly the age and sex that I thought. So this little one if called blueberry or bluey for short (she is for my daughter and it’s her first bird) . I have a lovie and my daughter is really keen to spend time with him so I surprised my daughter with her own bird today. She is delighted. I am delighted with Bluey too. She will step up now and let us stroke her so I think that’s pretty good for day 1 for a non tame bird. My grandad used to keep a blue budgie many years ago and I have found memories of them both.

OP
A

asterrjones

Feb 29, 2020
I don't know much about 'keets except that they're wonderful... all parrot in a precious little package. Your new darling looks so tiny and vulnerable... I'm so glad that you will make all that little budgie's dreams come true.

Here is a thread I usually offer to people interested in parakeets, started by one of our resident budgie whisperers, reeb.

http://www.parrotforums.com/budgies-parakeets/72068-taming-bonding-budgerigars-tips-beginners.html

Thank you that’s great! We are going to work in taking every day. She is a lovely bird. So pretty.

Most Reactions