New green cheek conure being weird?!

Parsaxyz

Mar 2, 2017
Dubai
Parrots
Green cheek conure
Hello! Ive recently bought a 4 month old conure (atleast thats what they have told me) he looks pretty small so i didnt question them further however he doesnt have a leg band, but he IS pretty tame as in he steps up when hes outside his cage and climbs to my shoulder and nibbles on my shirt! Since i think hes quite young i dont mind the leg band really.

To the point! , Pistachio is very weird, when I open his cage door on too he immediately climbs out and steps up on to my finger, and even wheb hes exploring i just walk upto him and he steps up BUT that all changes once hes in the cage, as soon as i get near the cage he starts junping away like a wild bird normally would.. Now ive had him for about three days AND in the store that i git him he wasnt in a cage but on a play stand where people could interact with him.

So should i just give him time? Or is he actually scared of me but doesnt show it once hes on my shoulder? I even rub his neck area and he loves it, closes his eyes and everything!

Please help any feedback is welcome, this is my first conure!

Thankyou!

adz1984

Dec 4, 2016
Australia
Parrots
Alexandrine (Bella) RB2 (Unammed)
You need to give him more time to adjust to his new surroundings, My bird is super aggressive in her cage but seems super nice, allows petting, steps up and would even follow me when she's away from her cage, I soon discovered she was doing that just so I could take her back to her comfort zone! How do I know this? well she was anxious for one and I can see immediate relief when put back into the cage. The same could be said about your shoulder, I believe bird's feel more safe there. Just give him more time, it sounds like you will have a sweetie really soon!

Last edited:
OP
P

Parsaxyz

Mar 2, 2017
Dubai
Parrots
Green cheek conure
Thankyou so much for the reply.

Will he be tame tho? Like will he stop being so afraid of my finger ahen in his cage? Or do i just have to wait until he comes out for him to come to me?

Either way Ill give him time to adjust, I take him out for about 2hours just so he can chill on my shoulder nibbling my shirt 😂

itzjbean

Jan 27, 2017
Media
Iowa, USA
Parrots
2 cockatiels
Hi, I agree with the advice above. At 3 days it is still very early for him, in a completely new home and environment. He is still simply adjusting, and some birds will act strangely in their cages.

My best suggestion to you is open the cage, and allow your conure to come out on his own. This way, you're working at HIS pace. It may take a few minutes, or not long at all. Just work with him on this, sit a considerable distance away from him and maybe occupy yourself doing something else, as to not make eye contact, but to show your conure he is allowed to come out and everything is okay.

Out of the cage, he seems very tame. Continue to work on stepping up with him, and eventually you can teach him other things. Always give a tasty treat after he steps up so he associates it with good things! :)

Most Reactions

Latest posts