New green cheek conure owner (soon to be) - need advices

Bobbystick

Oct 12, 2021
Parrots
2 budgies and a green cheek conure
Hello everyone,

I am currently waiting on a Green cheek conure.
He/she is now 1 month old and I'm seeking advice on my initial set-up, or anything else that I need to know.
I'll welcome it home in about 2 months.

There were green cheeks conures at a pet shop near my place, they didn't offer any DNA certificate or sexing.
So, I decided to find a breeder that seemed to have high standards for raising their babies
The breeder sends me weekly updates with pictures which is really cool. They look so cute and very well cared for.

I intend on using this thread to give updates on my baby conure and also take advice from anyone that has experience.
I've had 2 cocktatiels at my parents' place back in the days, now roommates with 2 budgies. So I do have some experience with parrots.

I'm currently shopping for a cage, this is the one I'm interested in :

1634403132174.png

I let my birds out most of the time, they have their dedicated bird proofed room. But, I am away 2 to 3 days a week because I work hybrid work from home/office.
Considering my girlfriend takes over when I'm out and give them time to play outside. I'm thinking this is an appropriate size.
Also love the little stand on top with bowls

I wanted to order soon so please let me know what you think !
Thanks everyone

Oh, here's the most recent picture I have
1634403382992.png

Pistache is the one to the left, or slightly above
(Pistache is pistachio in french)

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Very exciting ! Loos like a very cute and heakthy chick .

I recommend having a digital kitchen scale. Weigh on day one, abd every day for first two weeks. Just to pick up on any issues as sometimes young burds are a little stressed and young ones can get sick easier. Then make a habit if weight checks weekly. If you pick up health issues early by weight loss they are much easier to treat. When a bird starts showing sick symptoms they very ill. So its a life saver to detect issues much sooner. Neaely all sick birds will start to drop weight.
Young burds are willing to try more foods and follow your example. So start offering every kind of safe veggies and leafy greens right off . For young ones it can be easier to chop up to pea size . But its still good to offer bigger chunks too. So they are exposed to lots of textures and shapes. Do a quick steam of some as well . After a few weeks start with foraging ideas together as an activity , fun and easy at first. Foraging is a great way to keep them busy.

You can get a metal bird cage stand abd sttscj big rope hoops and spiral ropes and cargo nets, attach yucca chips abd toys. Much cheaper than typical bird standard easy to move, more to explore and climb. I put an acrylic sheet on top of flat top cages( my preferred type) then I use ceiling hooks and fishing lines to hang perches over the cage, butds love to climb ad swing abd really expands their space. Any mess is kept out of cage by sheet. Keeps them from bites on budgie toes if they land on Cage.

OP
Bobbystick

Bobbystick

Oct 12, 2021
Parrots
Very exciting ! Loos like a very cute and heakthy chick .

I recommend having a digital kitchen scale. Weigh on day one, abd every day for first two weeks. Just to pick up on any issues as sometimes young burds are a little stressed and young ones can get sick easier. Then make a habit if weight checks weekly. If you pick up health issues early by weight loss they are much easier to treat. When a bird starts showing sick symptoms they very ill. So its a life saver to detect issues much sooner. Neaely all sick birds will start to drop weight.
Young burds are willing to try more foods and follow your example. So start offering every kind of safe veggies and leafy greens right off . For young ones it can be easier to chop up to pea size . But its still good to offer bigger chunks too. So they are exposed to lots of textures and shapes. Do a quick steam of some as well . After a few weeks start with foraging ideas together as an activity , fun and easy at first. Foraging is a great way to keep them busy.

You can get a metal bird cage stand abd sttscj big rope hoops and spiral ropes and cargo nets, attach yucca chips abd toys. Much cheaper than typical bird standard easy to move, more to explore and climb. I put an acrylic sheet on top of flat top cages( my preferred type) then I use ceiling hooks and fishing lines to hang perches over the cage, butds love to climb ad swing abd really expands their space. Any mess is kept out of cage by sheet. Keeps them from bites on budgie toes if they land on Cage.
Thank you for this reply !
It's been so long since I've been on the forums, sorry for the delay.

I did install some spiral perches on the ceiling and my budgies seem to really enjoy it. I'll get more of them and different types.
Thank you for the scale tip, my budgies just reached their adult sizes and I'm about to start weighing them also. I do have the scale ready for the conure.

Updates since initial post :

Pistache has been tested and her results returned, she is a female.
She grew up so fast !
1636551272413.png

Pistache is on the left

Here is the cage I got ready for her arrival IN 2 WEEKS !!
1636551338963.png

(def not going to leave it like this, I have some natural perches and toys I'm just waiting to see what the breeder sells to support him as much as I can when I visit)

I'm so excited to start my journey with Pistache !

kristina7799

Oct 13, 2021
North Carolina
Parrots
Budgies: Joey and Chandler
Thank you for this reply !
It's been so long since I've been on the forums, sorry for the delay.

I did install some spiral perches on the ceiling and my budgies seem to really enjoy it. I'll get more of them and different types.
Thank you for the scale tip, my budgies just reached their adult sizes and I'm about to start weighing them also. I do have the scale ready for the conure.

Updates since initial post :

Pistache has been tested and her results returned, she is a female.
She grew up so fast !
View attachment 32047
Pistache is on the left

Here is the cage I got ready for her arrival IN 2 WEEKS !!
View attachment 32048
(def not going to leave it like this, I have some natural perches and toys I'm just waiting to see what the breeder sells to support him as much as I can when I visit)

I'm so excited to start my journey with Pistache !
Pistache is GORGEOUS and I love that cage! I am planning to add a GCC to my flock of 2 budgies in the late winter/early spring hopefully. I would love to know where you are and possibly who the breeder is? (You can private message me of course if you don't want to post that publically). I'm searching for a good breeder and love how your breeder is sending pictures and how well the babies are cared for!

OP
Bobbystick

Bobbystick

Oct 12, 2021
Parrots
Pistache is GORGEOUS and I love that cage! I am planning to add a GCC to my flock of 2 budgies in the late winter/early spring hopefully. I would love to know where you are and possibly who the breeder is? (You can private message me of course if you don't want to post that publically). I'm searching for a good breeder and love how your breeder is sending pictures and how well the babies are cared for!
I live in Quebec, Canada. The breeder is on the north shore of Montreal. Might be a bit far to fetch a green cheek :p
I hope you find the breeder you're looking for. It took me a while to find this one but I'm glad I waited since Pistache seems to receive a lot of love and care during this process.

We have a very similar flock I see haha, I can't wait to work with Pistache and train her to be friends with my other two buddies. I hope I eventually see some post about your gcc !

OP
Bobbystick

Bobbystick

Oct 12, 2021
Parrots
I believe I will go fetch Pistache this very weekend !
Simply waiting on the breeder's confirmation for a date.

So, my plan was to wait until I visited the breeder to buy more stuff for the cage so that I can support them. But, they only have cotton ropes, dowel perches and other materials I tend to avoid.
I will probably only buy a few items to hang on the ceiling because I like to put all-natural materials inside the cages.

If anyone has some suggestions of cage accessory items that are easy to order and loved by their conures, I'd love to hear it !

kristina7799

Oct 13, 2021
North Carolina
Parrots
Budgies: Joey and Chandler
I live in Quebec, Canada. The breeder is on the north shore of Montreal. Might be a bit far to fetch a green cheek :p
I hope you find the breeder you're looking for. It took me a while to find this one but I'm glad I waited since Pistache seems to receive a lot of love and care during this process.

We have a very similar flock I see haha, I can't wait to work with Pistache and train her to be friends with my other two buddies. I hope I eventually see some post about your gcc !
Yeah, a little too far from North Carolina :) Thanks for your kind words.. I can't wait to find my next little friend!!

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts