New Guy... New BG macaw

stoney7713

Oct 22, 2013
Parrots
BG Macaw
So yesterday my wife found a BG macaw for sale on facebook. The people said they was moving and could not take the macaw with them. For sale with cage, 8yo macaw, named Cappy... $300

Needless to say I was very suspicious, I've wanted a large parrot for years and have read a lot about them and all the problems, all the fun, all the work. My wife on the other hand has been on the fence.

We'll come to find out the people selling the macaw, well my parent in laws know them. My father in law also likes birds but is not a patient man. My wife told her dad, he sat on the couch as I talked about macaws and other parrots. I could see him thinking, I knew there would be many possible problems with Cappy. I talked about this and that and the difficulties that could await the new owner.

My wife told her dad that someone else just asked about Cappy and I had never seen that man jump up so quickly and take off out the door.

A few hours later he brought Cappy home.

Sure enough, she had rough looking feathers, bald spot beneath her wing. Missing a toe supposedly from her mother just after hatching. But she was still soooooo beautiful.

She was skittish, but did let my mother in law pet her head. My father in law, well like I said, not patient. She will back away from him every time. I can approach her with a treat of fruit or nut and she will take it from the palm of my hand. I'm not ready to pet her, I can tell she isn't either. (She was bonded with the wife of the previous couple and the husband was not very warm of Cappy it seems) possibly prefers women.

Long story short, my father in law does not like not being able to touch his bird. He is ready to give her to me.

I can't stress enough to him it will take a bit of time for Cappy to get over any fears she might have, to learn proper behaviors, get on a good diet (NOT pizza) and it won't happen overnight. The previous couple obviously had not trained her any at all or just quit years ago.

In the end I will either be having Cappy live with me or be spending more time at the in laws :eek: Either way I will be tending to Cappy and her needs.

Oh btw, Hello everyone. Been a member since 2013? and this is my first post.

Apr 3, 2013
MD, USA
Best of luck. You have come to a great place. Please do as much research as you can; I find you can never get too many new ideas. The fact that she is letting anyone pet her already is definitely a good starting point.

BIRDIGIRL

Jan 25, 2016
Mayo Ireland
Parrots
Rodney Blue Fronted Amazon
RIP Mr Biggles White Fronted Amazon , Elsa and Little Nellow the Lutino Budgies, Lady Primrose a Pied Budgie and English Budgies Houdini Popeye and Olive
Congratulations on your new addition to the family. It sounds like you got a Beautiful Macaw who is already responding and being affectionate. Hope you have many long and happy years together :)

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Hi there stoney! What an awesome introduction! :D

You had me roaring when I read "In the end I will either be having Cappy live with me or be spending more time at the in laws :eek: " <-- the face, HAHAHAHA!!!

OP
S

stoney7713

Oct 22, 2013
Parrots
BG Macaw
Oh yes Cappy does show some good tendencies.

But she also has her bad ones. She has bitten both inlaws and my daughter.(She was following their instructions, get closer, etc.) Bruised her and broke skin on mother in law. The previous owners also spoke of a lot of nipping and biting among other things.

But it will just take time, this day and age most people are for instant gratification.

I'm pretty confident I can help Cappy. She just needs some positive training and experiences, trust, and respect. She's not the rehab so many of you have experienced, she's just an 8yo macaw that's never been treated in the way she should have been.

I didn't plan on being thrown into the large parrot world right now but I have read a lot over the years and will continue reading, especially this forum. Always interesting information here.

Thank you all, I'm sure I will be pecking or picking your brains soon.

OOwl

Oct 12, 2010
Texas
Parrots
Rosebreasted Cockatoo, Congo Grey, MRH Amazon, Lovebird
Welcome. And that sounds like a parrot that needs a friend if I ever heard of one. She's lucky to have you on her side. Looking forward to hearing more about Cappy and how that plays out. Good luck!

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Welcome aboard! Seems like you have the better outlook and understanding of how parrots interact. Feel free to ask whatever crosses your mind, we have many members well versed with macaws!!

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
An extremely belated welcome to you! Glad you chose to share Cappy's store! It's obvious you are parront owner at heart. Looking forward to photos and hearing about Cappy's move to your home.

Most Reactions