New lovebird won't let me pet him.

Dylan Longman

Nov 2, 2022
Parrots
Lovebird
I recently got a lovebird. He is currently 18 weeks old and I got him at 10. I had a lovebird before this one and he was a lot more easier when it came to taming. My new one, trusts me enough to get on my finger. But he doesn't want me to pet him. Should I just wait, or should I try something? My old one let me pet him first and then perched on my finger. But with my new one it's basically the opposite. Does anyone know if I should just wait or should I try do something to get him to let me pet him?

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
I recently got a lovebird. He is currently 18 weeks old and I got him at 10. I had a lovebird before this one and he was a lot more easier when it came to taming. My new one, trusts me enough to get on my finger. But he doesn't want me to pet him. Should I just wait, or should I try something? My old one let me pet him first and then perched on my finger. But with my new one it's basically the opposite. Does anyone know if I should just wait or should I try do something to get him to let me pet him?
Don't try and force him to let you pet him, that will only make him less likely to let you.
You can try and train a bird to let you pet them, it's a slower process but it's much better for the birds mental well-being.

OP
Dylan Longman

Dylan Longman

Nov 2, 2022
Parrots
Lovebird
Don't try and force him to let you pet him, that will only make him less likely to let you.
You can try and train a bird to let you pet them, it's a slower process but it's much better for the birds mental well-being.
That's what I've been doing. But, its much slower than my old bird. I do understand that every bird is different though.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
That's what I've been doing. But, its much slower than my old bird. I do understand that every bird is different though.
Be patient. I know it’s hard since you just brought your new friend home. But start by just being a friend NEAR him. You can offer treats but grabbing him to play with him may backfire and make him scared of you.

Can you do your homework or reading or computer games near his cage so he can watch you and come visit at his own pace?

OP
Dylan Longman

Dylan Longman

Nov 2, 2022
Parrots
Lovebird
Be patient. I know it’s hard since you just brought your new friend home. But start by just being a friend NEAR him. You can offer treats but grabbing him to play with him may backfire and make him scared of you.

Can you do your homework or reading or computer games near his cage so he can watch you and come visit at his own pace?
I normally just olay on my PC with him flying around and going on my body. He will perch on my finger if I put my finger near him. But he doesn't trust me to touch him or pet him yet.

Most Reactions