New Male Eclectus, 4 months old

mhegedus

Sep 19, 2016
Abu Dhabi, UAE
Parrots
Eclectus, male named Bento
Hello,

I just got a male Eclectus 3 days ago. He's 4 months old approx.

I live in UAE (from America), and sometimes the pet supply stores are limited. The salesman in the pet "souq" didn't even know what sub-species my Bento is!! I wasn't going to get him, but drove all the way home and couldn't stop thinking about him. I had to go back and get him!

I grew up with a severe macaw, quaker, and my father currently has an African Grey, so I'm very used to birds! The difference I'm facing now is the diet needs for Eclectus!! Any tips on diet is much appreciated!!

My new boy is a bit timid but seems to be warming up nicely. He's not great at "stepping up" but getting better. He lets me kiss his beak and so far has not bit anyone, including my children! When I enter the room he "caws" at me (sounds alot like a crow). At first I wasn't sure if he was just afraid, but now I think he's actually "talking" to me with these loud squawks.

I would love advice about diet, and also training/socializing a young bird (as all my previous birds were adopted and much older when I got them).

THANKS!

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
Hello and welcome! Congratulations on your new baby! We would love picture of you have them! Don't be upset about the subspecies. Particularly with males it's almost impossible to tell them apart if you are really experienced at it.

To sum it up:

Lots of grain like brown rice and quinoa, largely fresh vegetables, and a little bit of fruit daily (especially tropical fruits such as papaya, mango, and pineapple).

The diet is not really complicated. Just needs higher fiber content than other parrots. Not so nutrient dense.

OP
M

mhegedus

Sep 19, 2016
Abu Dhabi, UAE
Parrots
Hello and welcome! Congratulations on your new baby! We would love picture of you have them! Don't be upset about the subspecies. Particularly with males it's almost impossible to tell them apart if you are really experienced at it.

To sum it up:

Lots of grain like brown rice and quinoa, largely fresh vegetables, and a little bit of fruit daily (especially tropical fruits such as papaya, mango, and pineapple).

The diet is not really complicated. Just needs higher fiber content than other parrots. Not so nutrient dense.

Thank you so much!! As a kid, we always just fed our birds pellets and seeds with a few fruits, but I'm learning seeds and pellets aren't necessary so I want to make sure I'm giving him what he needs!

OP
M

mhegedus

Sep 19, 2016
Abu Dhabi, UAE
Parrots
bento1.jpgbento3.jpg

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Welcome to the forums! Bento is beautiful, regardless of sub-species!

Diet is an unusually important consideration for Eclectus, in part due to their lengthy digestive system. I've linked a few dietary threads, scroll through and you'll find many great ideas!

http://www.parrotforums.com/eclectus/48375-eclectus-diet.html
http://www.parrotforums.com/eclectus/28350-eclectus-diet-confused.html

A great "sticky" from the Eclectus forum: http://www.parrotforums.com/eclectus/52737-so-you-think-you-want-eclectus.html

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)

Violet_Diva

Aug 30, 2016
Media
Albums
Norfolk (England)
Parrots
Bella (Vosmaeri Eclectus Female) + Dexter (Red Sided Eclectus Male) + Gerry (Vosmaeri Eclectus Male)
Congratulations on your new eclectus! He is adorable! Someone might be able to identify his subspecies if you can post photos of his tail feathers (both from behind him and underneath him) and photos of under his wing / chest area, but identifying his subspecies will be easier when he's a bit older and his eye colour matures a bit. Though saying that, his subspecies may never be identified as many eclectus are crossbred from the initial misidentification of the males used for breeding. Anyhow - I hope you share your experiences with your new baby with us, and I will look forward to reading all about him!

Most Reactions

Latest posts