New Member with a Galah x Corella Hybrid

JettIsTheDevil

Jul 5, 2019
Australia
Parrots
Jett - Galah x Corella Hybrid
Hi! As you can see by my username, I have a pet Galah x Corella (otherwise known as ā€œApricot Galahsā€) who is the literal spawn of the Devil (sometimes).

I have done a little research on his specific cross breed but I have found very little information on them. Which is how I came across this forum! One user posted way back in 2014 about a Galah x Corella for sale in New South Wales, Australia. However I havenā€™t found much information here on that particular hybrid so I have posted asking for advice on his behavioural issues on the Cockatoo Thread.

Iā€™m here to introduce him though! His name is Jett. He flew into my parentsā€™ backyard from God knows where 8 years ago. My little sister was 4 at the time and was about to have open heart surgery. We tried to catch him for a week but we could never catch him. He hung around our house the whole time and on the day of my sisters surgery, my older brother and I managed to catch him. We called my mum to tell her the news and my sister was just about to go into surgery, so my mum asked her what we should name him and she decided his name was Jett. He was obviously owned previously because he could mimic laughing and coughing sounds, plus an old-time tune that he sings to himself when itā€™s his bedtime. We donā€™t know how old he is, or how old he can live to since there isnā€™t much information online about his specific hybrid. We tried to find his owner but we never heard anything from the ads we posted, so heā€™s remained with us since.

His appearance resembles a very large Galah, only he is a lighter colour overall. He isnā€™t a bright pink, but more of a baby pink, sometimes the pink is so light that itā€™s silvery. The grey on his back and wings is lighter as well. His beak is noticeably larger (and more terrifying) than a Galahs and it resembles a Corellas beak, only bigger. It can do a lot of damage to humans when he is angry. Once he gave my ex a lip piercing. My ex was moving Jetts cage and had his face right up against it and the bite went all the way through his lip (we could put my nose ring into it šŸ˜‚

Jett has a lot of behavioural issues which led me to research into him. So far I have found this forum and a lady in Western Australia who has owned 9 Galah x Corella Hybrids over the past 5 years. She had either rescued them from unfavourable conditions or people gave them them to her because of the constant squawking. I have messaged her about Jett and she confirmed that her Galah x Corellas had the exact same issues as him.

Anyway, thatā€™s enough about Jett for now. If anyone has any questions feel free to ask! And if youā€™ve ever owned a hybrid like this, let me know!

Thank you for your time! A photo is attached of the Devil himself ā˜ŗļø

Attachments

• 61A0EE09-1859-4606-BCC3-C68D88B703EB.jpg
    61A0EE09-1859-4606-BCC3-C68D88B703EB.jpg
    186.7 KB · Views: 682

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Welcome to you and Jett, what a beautiful hybrid!

I know little of hybridization, hopefully your continued research will yield clues for you and others.

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Welcome aboard to you and Jett!

Iā€™ve seen the odd galah/corella cross in the wild flocks that frequent our local parks in Brisbane. Jett sure sounds like a force to be reckoned with!

OP
JettIsTheDevil

JettIsTheDevil

Jul 5, 2019
Australia
Parrots
Welcome to you both! Sister still well?

Hi, thank you! My sister is a healthy almost-teenager now. She did very well during her recovery and became very hyperactive after her surgery.

OP
JettIsTheDevil

JettIsTheDevil

Jul 5, 2019
Australia
Parrots
Welcome aboard to you and Jett!

Iā€™ve seen the odd galah/corella cross in the wild flocks that frequent our local parks in Brisbane. Jett sure sounds like a force to be reckoned with!

He sure is! Iā€™ve also seen the same birds around and even though I donā€™t get close enough, theyā€™re pretty similar to Jett himself (although a lot smaller).

HannahandSunny

Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Jan 13, 2019
Australia
Parrots
Cockatiels. Percy & Gizmo

Forever in my heart. Sunny the Corella
Hello and welcome from me and my Corella Sunny :D

Most Reactions

Latest posts