New Owner - Want to Make My New Conure Comfortable

tess_fauver

May 24, 2013
Hey Guys,

I fell in love with a green cheek conure at PetCo over a few visits, so my husband bought Sweety for me Wednesday night (5/22). I am looking for information on how to best bond with Sweety and make sure he is comfortable in his new home.

The first night, Wednesday, he stayed in my room. He seems to be rather tame. He let me pet him and seemed to enjoy it, as he relaxed and closed his eyes comfortably. When I tried to pick him up to put him in his new cage, he flew away, but wasn't hard to catch. I only had to move slowly and speak nicely to him, and he didn't panic at all when I finally gently scooped him up. He didn't move about or eat the first night, though.

But, yesterday when I came home, I started talking to him and sat down to let him watch me eat an apple and offer him pieces. He wouldn't eat my apple, but he did decide to start eating his own food (yay!). I continued to offer treats through the night, but he is still shy of my hand.

Am I doing this right? He stayed in my room again and slept through the night. When I got up for work, he got up with me and watched me get ready while he had breakfast. He seems to be coming around quite well, but is there anything else I need to do? I'm having a hard time finding information online.

Thanks for any help!

Tess

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
Your are doing good, just let him be for the first week or so. Talk to him as you have been and it's great to offer him treats. It's alright to hold him but only if he wants to, do not invade his space if he shows any fear.

Do you have a avian vet? You should get him in for a new bird check up at a certified avian vet while you still have your Petco warranty. At Petco the conures are exposed to many birds, people bring in their birds, they are usually near the finches, who knows if they are a carrier or some terrible disease is lurking unnoticed. Because Petco is a corporation they are pretty good about taking care of their customers(if not the store, you can always contact their main office).

If Sweety does end up not being completely healthy they may help to pay for the vet bills, or do something else to make up for selling as unhealthy bird(such as refund part of the price).

I know it may seem silly to bug them about this, but it is very important to get on the stores case for anything wrong. It is a learning experience for them and will only help any new bird they get to make sure it doesn't happen again.

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
Welcome to the forum Tess &congrats on Sweety.....as with most relationships, there is a 'getting used to' period or as here in birddom, the honeymoon period & you're enjoying it now.....unless they are outright terrors, a bird in new surroundings bides its time, getting the lay of the land, so to speak.....

Assuming, because you are here seeking advice, this is your first conure, but I think you probably made a good choice in a GCC, they are fun and funny, can be noisy & quiet & if left to their own devices, can be headaches.....I would read up on clicker training and touch training parrots...there is enough good information on the internet and there are a number of good video clips on youtube, so you can save your $$$ for a quiet dinner with your husband instead of buying any of the proffered products that may not always be as good.....

If you look through the various threads on the forum, you'll usually find answers to the questions you didn't realize you wanted to ask & if you still can't find those, just ask & somebody is around most anytime...day or night.....

Just like with young children, your new feathered friend needs to learn the boundaries...what he can & can't do.....waiting will only prolong your agony & give him/her the opportunity to have you & your husband trained as a bird slave before you realize it.....

Copper's right about getting a vet check...i don't know what the current Petco policy is, but you have a time limit to check for health or other problems.....

Last edited:
OP
T

tess_fauver

May 24, 2013
I will make sure to get Sweety checked out. What is the best way to transport him? Should I use the box PetCo sent him home in?

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
Actually most any small cage that you feel comfortable with (fashion wise) but if the vet trip is soon, you could probably use the Petco box, but when your new feathered friend feels more a part of the family, I probably wouldn't use a cardboard box....those are often quickly chewed through.....look online for pet carrier or small cages.....heck, an oversized purse would work.....that's what a HS friend & I had our girlfriends take a couple of pigeons each to see the Birds...way back when.....the point is most small cages/carriers would be suitable.....

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
I will make sure to get Sweety checked out. What is the best way to transport him? Should I use the box PetCo sent him home in?
The petco box may be a little claustrophobic for him since it's dark inside, but if that's all you can use short of notice it will work.

I have a small plastic dog crate that I use
Petmate_Deluxe_Vari-Kennel_Jr_Plastic_Crate_sm.jpg

MarciaLove

Jan 4, 2012
USA Georgia
Parrots
Sugar the Blue Crown Conure♂, Merlin the Camelot Macaw♂
welcome to the forum and congrats on your new GCC! They are wonderful little birds! Sounds like your doing really well with him everyone here gave you excellent advice to you. I transport my smaller birds in a small bird cage an my larger ones in a cat carrier.

Kalidasa

May 8, 2013
Media
Michigan
Parrots
1 green cheek conure (Kumar)
2 male budgies (Charlie and Diego)
Welcome new GCC parront! I use a small dog crate exactly like copperarabian has shown above..with a folded small blanket in the bottom. Your in for tons of fun with a conure!

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Welcome to the forum, Tess! :) You've come to the right place for questions and answers. We have a GREAT bunch of members who will be able to give you some AWESOME advice with your new baby. :D

Most Reactions