New wind needing advice

Echobird

Feb 20, 2021
New here, my daughter has a blue throat Conure named Echo who is 7months old. She is a sweet, funny sassy, generally not bitey funny little bird. My daughter adores her and takes very good care of her.
Her cage lives in our living room across from my cockatiel. Echo gets pellets, fresh veggies, lots of outside her cage time. Goes to bed every night at 7 and is uncovered in the morning around 7-7:30 depending on the day. When my daughter isn’t at school or work Echo hangs out with her in her room where she has a jungle gym to play on. Echo loves my daughter, you can tell they have a great bond. When my daughter leaves her room she always says “you coming?” And Echo will fly over to her.
So, here is where we need advice. Yesterday my daughter was home. Woke up in the morning and like always went and let Echo out of her cage. They went to her room and hung out. My daughter said she was acting normal....kisses, chatting, playing around her gym. When my daughter went to leave her room to make lunch Echo wouldn’t follow her and ran away from her. My daughter is always very calm and never chases her (should add that she has applied to vet school, and wants to specialize in parrots....and volunteers at a parrot rescue so is familiar with these birds). Eventually Echo did follow her, but when she brought her to the cage she darted in. When I came home from work she had her out again, but told me there was something wrong. I went over to Echo and she stepped up, but allowed me to kiss her, and crawled into my hood and sat there. Echo NEVER allows this with me. She tolerates me, but I wouldn’t say has much affection for me. She stayed in my hood for quite some time, and when I went to her cage crawled out and went into her cage.
Since then she has been acting like she is scared. She is very skittish. She is eating, and drinking and moving around her cage like normal....but if anyone goes near her cage she will get up into the corner and just stare at you, where normally she is at her door clucking to be let out. If we do open her door she will come out, but stay on her cage or go over to the cockatiels cage....will not step up, or come to you.
Daughter emailed the vet who said as long as she was eating and drinking to keep an eye on her for a day or so and if nothing changes will see her this coming week. Obviously if things got worse or she stopped eating to bring her in to the emergency clinic.

So...she isn’t “worse”, but why is she suddenly afraid of us? My daughter is devastated that her bird “hates her”.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
More than likely, something has changed and whatever it is has your Parrot scared. Changing the location of something, adding something, combing the hair differently, a different color clothing, the list can be endless.

Its call the 'Radioactive' reaction. And until it is correct or she becomes use to it, etc, etc, etc.

If you can't find 'it'. Start building a relation all over again.

Basics:
Only good things happen with Humans are around.

Change your Vantage Point!
- Its Never the Fault of the Parrot!
- Its Always the Fault of the Human!
This change in one's Vantage point, commonly allows you see what is causing the problem and a change can be made to correct it.

NOTE: Emergency Clinics are Great for Dogs and Cats, but not very knowledgable when it comes to Parrots.

Last edited:

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
It is wise to first worry about health.
A good tool us a digital kitchen gram scale. Burd should be weighed once a week, as they can rapidly drop weight when sick. Im going through this so well i know! When you are concerned weigh them daily. Bids burn more than twice their normal calories when sick. So you often see weight loss even when they are eating. 3% weight-loss seek veterinarian care 5% or more you for sure have a very sick burd, regardless if they are acting completely normal. Because bird hide being sick until they are critical and can't hide it anymore. For % lost take weight lost devide by normal weight x 100 =% lost. Burds can also pretend to eat even when not.
Check poops for amount of fecal content, if green urine or yellow urine around poop something can be up. Poop color will change with red fruits and veggies.

Behavior, yes burds can see something outside, or something can make them spooked. And feeding treats by hand and working to earn back trust. I've had this happen at different times over the years of keeping parrots. Sometimes I can figure out the cause Sometimes not. But I can always earn and bribe myself back to their good graces

Last edited:

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
THis is great advice above. Especially the part about bribing your way back into their good graces. So it could be something overt that she is scared of, some physical change that took place. But, and this is my own hypothesis, parrots can and do dream. Its possible she had a nightmare of sorts, and is reacting to that. She may have had a bad dream that included your daughter etc, and she is still frightened by it. Good news is that these and other causes can be overcome with said bribes!

Just keep in mind parrots rate of acceptance of change is glacial, especially compared to our quick monkey brains rate of change. Always proceed based on your parrots speed and not the speed of your expectations. And like my good friend Sailboats said, "Only Good Things Happen When Humans Are Around" - good words to live by.

OP
E

Echobird

Feb 20, 2021
NOTE: Emergency Clinics are Great for Dogs and Cats, but not very knowledgable when it comes to Parrots.

We are actually very lucky in that our Avian vet has a emergency clinic only for birds....so the staff who work it are very knowledgeable in birds.

We have started “fresh” with her. Acting like she is a new bird and restarting out relationship.

@laurasea, Echo is weighed every other day just to get her used to the scale, so we are good on that front, but a good point to watch for.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
seeking your hood and shadow places. Can be hormonal. The hormonal season has started at my house

Most Reactions

Latest posts