New Yellow-Naped member MARLEY here :)

OP
JamJar

JamJar

Jan 25, 2015
Dubai
Parrots
Orange-Winged Amazon ~ Marley
Unfortunately there are no guarantees that Marley will get along with another parrot.

And if you do decide to bring home another one, I'd suggest you house them separately (each in their own cage).

Lastly, please 'google' the birds these folks are offering up for sale, especially since they told you Marley was a YN Amazon, which he is clearly not.

These guys live in shacks and have no access to a camera.. this is also a 3 hour drive for me but next time i will do my best to learn as much as i can about zons before i get my next one.. it doesn't really matter what type it is i would like to get them all out of that place eventually! its disgusting how they can get away with animal cruelty out here in the middle east.

thanks for your replys

OP
JamJar

JamJar

Jan 25, 2015
Dubai
Parrots
Just a quick update i got Marley to come and sit next to me today.. all i had to do was put a bag of seed son my lap LOL i then managed to get him to jump up on my arm and over to my hand for the first time! he did the same to my wife last night but run up onto her shoulder chewed on her ear then run off with a weird giggle sound like he found it funny..

15i91m1.jpg

He still is scared of my arm/hand when he is on his cage and I'm standing.. maybe my high above him I'm not sure but he seems to be getting settled more now.

also whilst he was on my hand i could check closer around his eyes and his feet there is no signs of mites and there are a lot of small blue feathers growing around his eyes

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
OWAs are better than most other zons as far as getting along with other parrots/pets. However each are individual personalities. Your always taking a chance when adding a second that they won't get along. Send us some pics and we'll be glad to ID the zons for you.

OP
JamJar

JamJar

Jan 25, 2015
Dubai
Parrots
OWAs are better than most other zons as far as getting along with other parrots/pets. However each are individual personalities. Your always taking a chance when adding a second that they won't get along. Send us some pics and we'll be glad to ID the zons for you.

thanks i appreciate the help :)

4dugnlee

Apr 27, 2014
Ohio
Parrots
Sassy - 13 y.o. Blue Front Amazon, Cisco - 6 y.o. Sun Conure, Peanut - 8 y.o. U2
Fred - 2(?) y.o. Cockatiel, Ginger - 3 or 4(?) y.o. Cockatiel
Hi and welcome! That's great that your orange wing already comes to you after only having him for a few days!! My BFA took 2 full months before she would come to me...before that she would bite any hand that came near her. There's no guarantee that any 2 birds will get along so just be sure if you do get a second parrot that you have time to spend with each one separately in case they don't (get along). Definitely cage separately. Keep the pics coming...we love pics...

ImmunoGoblin

Mar 5, 2014
outside Cincinnati, OH
Parrots
Tater Tot - DYH Amazon
Kiwi - Orange-winged Amazon
Biscuit - Young-ish cockatiel
Marley may learn to talk from you guys, if he doesn't do it already. My OWA is not as good a talker as my DYH, but he definitely says a few things. He says "Hello," "Hi Kiwi," "Step up," "Pretty bird," and makes an impressive chicken "Bawk bawk bagawk" sound. Every once in a while, he comes up with something we've NEVER heard him say before. I think he remembers things from his old home occasionally, or he picks up things from tv.

Akuma

Oct 19, 2014
Dubai,UAE
Parrots
CAG,abudi
Indian redneck,Rio
Thanks for the replies.. I've checked around his eyes and there is no red marks or flakey skin.. the only problem is here in dubai it costs a standard 500Dhs for a vet check MINIMUM.. thats like $1000 just to be seen! i don't have that sort of money at the moment.. can i not get anything for mites from a petshop? a spay or cream?

And I've been doing a lot of reading of OWA for the past couple of hours and i see there great with other birds? maybe il sweet talk my wife into getting another parrot next year :)

Thanks!

Hi Jamjar
I live in Dubai and I have seen a wonderful avian vet for my parrots.
It cost me around 280 dirhams. That is less than 500.
And it is certainly not a $1000 as you said.
For those who live outside UAE I just would like to say that 1000dollars is over 3000 dirhams.

OP
JamJar

JamJar

Jan 25, 2015
Dubai
Parrots
[/quote]

Hi Jamjar
I live in Dubai and I have seen a wonderful avian vet for my parrots.
It cost me around 280 dirhams. That is less than 500.
And it is certainly not a $1000 as you said.
For those who live outside UAE I just would like to say that 1000dollars is over 3000 dirhams.[/QUOTE]

Hi thanks for the reply I made i mistake I was meant to say 100dhs not 1000 haha!

Could you maybe post the number of the vet this would be amazing! Il get him looked at asap :)

OP
JamJar

JamJar

Jan 25, 2015
Dubai
Parrots
Marley may learn to talk from you guys, if he doesn't do it already. My OWA is not as good a talker as my DYH, but he definitely says a few things. He says "Hello," "Hi Kiwi," "Step up," "Pretty bird," and makes an impressive chicken "Bawk bawk bagawk" sound. Every once in a while, he comes up with something we've NEVER heard him say before. I think he remembers things from his old home occasionally, or he picks up things from tv.

This is good to hear :) the only sound ive heard him make is a pigeon purr lol!

OP
JamJar

JamJar

Jan 25, 2015
Dubai
Parrots
Hi and welcome! That's great that your orange wing already comes to you after only having him for a few days!! My BFA took 2 full months before she would come to me...before that she would bite any hand that came near her. There's no guarantee that any 2 birds will get along so just be sure if you do get a second parrot that you have time to spend with each one separately in case they don't (get along). Definitely cage separately. Keep the pics coming...we love pics...

Marley is still scared of hands if I put them close to him whilst he is on his cage.

OP
JamJar

JamJar

Jan 25, 2015
Dubai
Parrots
got home from work today and sat on the sofa he come over and jumped on my arm then my shoulder and i managed to walk over to the kitchen and i started cutting up fruits for his dinner. he was making a lot of the Pigeon noises (his only sound atm) not sure if its good or bad. still won't step up if I'm standing and he's on cage i don't know why and i still have to bribe him with treats lol but its progress :D day 4 !!

heres some pics as someone said before u like pics.. :D

2w23pyu.jpg

jpif88.jpg

ALSO I've ordered a load of PVC sockets to start my play stand tomorrow.. also will be making one of these cargo nets nice long one i can hang from a plc pipe so marley can climb the net…? i thought this was a good idea whats ur thoughts on a cargo net. here is a great guide if anyones interested.

Cargo Net Tutorial - Maidenhair Rattery

Amanda_Bennett

Sep 27, 2014
Gresham, OR
Parrots
Zilla 29 Y.O. Orange Wing Amazon
That is GREAT progress for just 4 days! I would caution against letting him on your shoulder until you are 110% sure he won't displacement bite though. Zons are known for it, and it can lead to major injuries being so close to your face.

The kind of "purr" or "growling" noise you are talking about sounds like the noise Zilla my OWA makes when she is hanging out with me and is a bit "unsure" of what I am doing, or of what something is.

In my experience OWA's tend to be a bit "shy" of new things and it takes them a bit to "warm" up to new things.

OP
JamJar

JamJar

Jan 25, 2015
Dubai
Parrots
That is GREAT progress for just 4 days! I would caution against letting him on your shoulder until you are 110% sure he won't displacement bite though. Zons are known for it, and it can lead to major injuries being so close to your face.

The kind of "purr" or "growling" noise you are talking about sounds like the noise Zilla my OWA makes when she is hanging out with me and is a bit "unsure" of what I am doing, or of what something is.

In my experience OWA's tend to be a bit "shy" of new things and it takes them a bit to "warm" up to new things.

one thing I've noticed is Marley hates biting.. even when i push my luck at trying to get him to step up he grabs my finger and slowly puts pressure until i say "oi" then he lets go and give me a side face grin LOL

its a cute sound like a pigeon purr coo lol..

Amanda_Bennett

Sep 27, 2014
Gresham, OR
Parrots
That's great, sounds to me like he was bite pressure trained earlier in his life. Zilla was also bite pressure trained at some point in her earlier life and she has never hurt me.

OP
JamJar

JamJar

Jan 25, 2015
Dubai
Parrots
do you have some pics of villa?

Amanda_Bennett

Sep 27, 2014
Gresham, OR
Parrots
Yes, I do have pics of Zilla... I'll post a couple of the most recent taken just a couple days ago.

Last edited:
OP
JamJar

JamJar

Jan 25, 2015
Dubai
Parrots
23ic654.jpg

lol made it a little big but now need to buy marley even more toys than planned :)

will be adding a lot of wood ladders and cargo nets for him to move around on :)

Snabb133

Dec 10, 2014
Sweden
Parrots
{Kiki, Blue Front Amazon}

{Taco, Barraband Parrot}

{Emil A.K.A Rocky, Red Lored Amazon}
Great Progress so far man, keep it up!! I'm sure she will live a wonderful life with you. Here are some pics of my lovely OWA Kiwi:

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts