New Yellow-Naped member MARLEY here :)

OP
JamJar

JamJar

Jan 25, 2015
Dubai
Parrots
Orange-Winged Amazon ~ Marley
Great Progress so far man, keep it up!! I'm sure she will live a wonderful life with you. Here are some pics of my lovely OWA Kiwi:

amazing kiwi can go outside! :) how old is he/she? is there any easy ways to tell there sex? i was told Marley is male but these previous owner probably made it up.

thanks for pics :)

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
DNA test is the best way. You can go to Avianbiotec and get a mail in feather test for about 25 $. With OWAs,,,, some of the old timers say you can count the red feathers in the wing. females =4 and males=5. i think that's right. Anyway i use the DNA test.

OP
JamJar

JamJar

Jan 25, 2015
Dubai
Parrots
2z4itc5.jpg

this is Marleys daily main meal.. he seem to eat 80% of fruits and 50% of veg and all the seeds. by the morning the veg is nearly all on the floor lol

is this too much?

veg is cucumber and carrot with lime in there so he goes over to it lol

I've tried other veg but its never touched

Last edited:
OP
JamJar

JamJar

Jan 25, 2015
Dubai
Parrots
DNA test is the best way. You can go to Avianbiotec and get a mail in feather test for about 25 $. With OWAs,,,, some of the old timers say you can count the red feathers in the wing. females =4 and males=5. i think that's right. Anyway i use the DNA test.

thanks hen il look into a DNA test and try count his feathers whislt he has his morning stretch :)

OP
JamJar

JamJar

Jan 25, 2015
Dubai
Parrots
Okay guys HUGE UPDATE!

its the 9th day I've had Marley and today i was making some alterations to his new play stand (making a little lower) and he got scared flew off and hit his head into the glass window.. he walked around the floor and over to my wife who was going nuts at me and she realised he had grazed his head and it was bleeding a little.. i grabbed some tissue and his seed pot and went over and sat on the sofa with my wife and he jumped up onto the seed pot…

he let me dab his head with the tissue and for the next 15-20 mins he was really cuddly.. letting me and my wife stroke his belly and scratch the top of his head and loved it! after around 20 mins (i was back over fixing the stand) he randomly started biting my wife again not hard but enough to say stop it. and went back to being scared of hands and won't let you touch him..

he still stayed sitting on my wife's backside for around an hour listening to her sing but won't let us touch him..

she says he was just being a baby and wanted some attention because he was hurt but i think maybe he was testing us??

whats your thoughts?

SORRY! for the long post i know you guys don't like lectures so il post a pic to ease the pain :)

2rcbn6a.jpg

Snabb133

Dec 10, 2014
Sweden
Parrots
{Kiki, Blue Front Amazon}

{Taco, Barraband Parrot}

{Emil A.K.A Rocky, Red Lored Amazon}
It might have been that when he hit his head, he became dizzy and chocked for a couple of minutes, which can happen to any bird when they hit windows with their heads first in high speed. Was he fluffing up his feathers when you scratched him? if so then he might have enjoyed it, but on his conditions! Give him time and dont force the matter, it might take months till he starts letting you know that he wants to get scratched, or he might just never let you know.

OP
JamJar

JamJar

Jan 25, 2015
Dubai
Parrots
It might have been that when he hit his head, he became dizzy and chocked for a couple of minutes, which can happen to any bird when they hit windows with their heads first in high speed. Was he fluffing up his feathers when you scratched him? if so then he might have enjoyed it, but on his conditions! Give him time and dont force the matter, it might take months till he starts letting you know that he wants to get scratched, or he might just never let you know.

Just got home from the pet store and he was chilling on his cage.. managed to stroke his chest and scratch his head WITHOUT bribing him.. give him a treat after to say well done :)

Most Reactions