Richelle

Apr 14, 2013
Wilmington, NC
Parrots
Rizzy-turquoise green cheek conure

Lilou-Senegal
Hi my name's Richelle and I'm new to the parrot forum. A few months ago i lost my sun conure, Tikki. I bought him a new happy hut and he chewed it over night and got caught in the threads--he strangled on it. I have to say I know a lot of owners have happy huts for their birds but even the safest, newest one can be a real danger. It's just horrible that I lost him that way he was only 2. My 2 year old daughter is terrified of all animals but Tikki was the only creature she's ever trusted enough to touch. She held him and he kissed her right on the lips and ever since then she adored him and would walk around saying "that's my bird, tikki's my bird". So it was a real loss for me especially because of her bond with him--he got along well with everyone and really adored my stepdad. He was never a one person bird he loved everyone. I have been talking to a breeder though because I miss having a parrot. Conures are my favorite and green cheek conures have a special place in my heart because i grew up with one and she was my cuddle bug. I don't want to go out and get another sun because i don't want my daughter to think it's tikki and i don't want to feel like i'm replacing him so i've decided on a green cheek conure. I will go next thursday to pick one out. Instead of picking one by mutation or whatever i'm going straight to the breeder's and seeing which one i bond with and (on the breeder's insistance) i am definitely bringing my daughter to help pick our new baby. Sorry so long but i just wanted to tell my story of why i'm here and also to warn everyone about the potential dangers of happy huts.

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
That's terrible :( I never recommend sleeping huts and would never dream of using one, the fleece rings are better alternative but still not 100% safe. I'm so sorry that happened to you, another example why not to use them. Sadly some people never learn and think that just because nothing bad has happened YET it never will.

I'm glad you've decided to include another bird in your life, I'll be excited to hear who bonds with you :)

Most Reactions