Newly Adopted Cockatoo

jenphilly

Oct 15, 2013
Lehigh Valley, PA
Parrots
BE2 (Ivory), B&G Macaw (Max), Budgie Group,
Granbirds- tiels; GCC (Monkey & Monster); Sun Conure (Loki); Bare Eyed Too (Folger); Evil Green Monster YNA (Kelly); B&G (Titan)
kristyemac -

How are things coming along with Bentley?? You popped into my head today as I was reading an article online about bird rescues. I hope he is starting to return your interest and starting to open up!!

keep us posted, everyone loves a happy ending!!!

Jen

OP
K

kristyemac

Sep 28, 2013
North Myrtle Beach
Parrots
Bentley, Umbrella Crested Cockatoo
Big thanks to all of you for helping me with your support! I'm sitting here with Bentley now, as I do twice a day. The rest of the time I"m home I'm usually only about 6 feet away from him...so I talk to him until I know he's sick of me! :) Poor baby stayed out of his cage after our last adventure for almost 2 days and nights..would NOT let me get near him and would NOT get back in his cage on his own. I truly believe he had never been given any free "out of cage" time with his previous owner. I think he was taken out and wrapped in a towel while his cage was being cleaned or moved to his portable cage for transport to vet, etc. My son finally came and as soon as he walked in the door Bentley flew and got on his arm to let him be put in his cage. We're doing better...I know this sounds silly, but he "talks" to me through the wall now after I go to bed...maybe he's talking to himself? Anyway, he starts a little conversation as soon as i bid him good night and go into my bedroom and if i talk back to him he'll keep it up for a little while before he hits his roost. If I come to the b/r door he shuts up and goes into terror mode. So I just lay there and talk to him until he's quiet. As for snacks, I have found NOTHING that he shows any favor for...he still will only eat his dry food, snap peas, banana chips and an occasional "nutri-berrie". I'm still trying to find something else that he will eat. So far, NO fresh fruit of any kind...isn't that strange? Bentley did start displaying his umbrella for me yesterday and and done it several times for me today. I take that as the most positive gesture he's given me...kinda like seeing your baby take his first steps. With you guys cheering me on, I'm sure we'll make it. You'll never know how much I appreciate your ideas and encouragement. Thank you ALL!

OP
K

kristyemac

Sep 28, 2013
North Myrtle Beach
Parrots
Jen, it won't let me reply to your private message as it says I don't have enough posts. Anyway, I thank you for the nudge as I needed to check back in with you guys. Thank you so much for your encouragement and suggestions. We are making baby steps..and right now I'm excited about baby steps!

jenphilly

Oct 15, 2013
Lehigh Valley, PA
Parrots
BE2 (Ivory), B&G Macaw (Max), Budgie Group,
Granbirds- tiels; GCC (Monkey & Monster); Sun Conure (Loki); Bare Eyed Too (Folger); Evil Green Monster YNA (Kelly); B&G (Titan)
Being afraid of fruits and veggies isn't a big surprise to me, I have the same problem with our adopted girl. I swear she had never seen a fresh anything until she came to live with us. Keep giving him different veggies, even if he doesn't touch them, sooner or later you will hit on something! Ivory loves corn on the cob, so keeping hoping there will be something else she'll take to. She had a short love affair with fresh string beans, but think that came more from her stealing a couple from me as I was cutting ends to make cabbage and string beans. Have you tried making birdie bread? I even use the bread maker :) Corn bread is a great base and I puree veggies and fruits to add in, Ivory gets what she needs whether she thinks so or not!!

Will your son come over for flock time and have dinner with you guys? Cockatoos are the ultimate flock bird and I would bet Bentley would join in dinner along with your son. But I think all the positive you are doing without pushing, he'll get over his fear that you're a woman. Is he any better with going in and out of his cage on his own? We had the issue with Ivory being cage bound too, she would bite when it was time to go back to her cage, but I made the outside of her cage a play area with toys, food bowl and perches, now she comes and goes without any fuss. She'll even go into her cage to nap during the day or see what's in the food bowl.

I look forward to your next post and update!!

OP
K

kristyemac

Sep 28, 2013
North Myrtle Beach
Parrots
Good idea about having my son over here for a meal...we'll try that. I've found that Bentley is not turned off by women...just me...and I really blame it on being told to wrap that darn towel around him. Other women have been here and he is glad to see them, too. I truly believe that he doesn't know HOW to get back in his cage...i think he's always been wrapped up to be taken out and chased down & wrapped up to be put back in..my son is going to work on that since the poor baby won't let me get near him..he's already proved that he'd rather starve than let me touch him so we're working on that. Thank you for your suggestions...i'm gonnna try 'em all!

Brisch

Jul 26, 2012
British Columbia Canada
Parrots
I have a Cinnamon GCC (Honey)
and a BCC (Conrad)AKA Connie
GCC (Jinx)
3x Goffin2 (Liam)(Mya)(Goose)
2x B&G Macaw (Cozzy)(Blue)
I am by no means an expert, but this whole being scared of you thing sounds to me like he´s upset with you. You were after all the person who took him from his last home, he may see you as that person that took him away. I had a bunny once that her mate died and I took him out, but because it was me who took him out I couldnt get within 10 feet of her cage without her losing it and growling. she got over this once I found her a new friend (mate), all my bunnies are fixed.

Give him time, I know its hard. Ive got 2 conures that were very badly mistreated and are terrified of all people. Ive had them about 6 months now, and they still run from me when I open the cage. They will sit with me once they are out though, until they see the opportunity to ditch me for my other birds company.

Encourage the good behaviors, and never use his name if he´s doing something you dont like. ¨NO¨ works better, otherwise everytime you say their name he may think hes done something wrong. Also try giving him a mist in the morning, cockatoos bathe right when they wake up by nature, it also calms them down. Ive also been told by my local exotic bird rescue to offer very diluted camomille tea, mist him with it and as he preens his feathers it will calm him down.

Your doing great and he secretly loves you trust me. Ive got one that acts the same way, but does he ever get mad at me when I go away for a couple days.

Most Reactions