Next Steps for new Conure?

peachface

Mar 23, 2014
ON, Canada
Parrots
2 peachfaced lovebirds
1 Pearly Conure
Hi! You have all been so helpful in the past, I thought I would come back to ask your opinion.

Bailey, my adopted conure has been living with me for two weeks. She is doing well, and we are getting along nicely. She has a lot of time out of her cage in the morning and evening, and some days I bring her to work with me. (I work in a quiet office where my coworkers are animal lovers, and don't mind the occasional chirps or squeaks.) She stays in her Avian Adventures travel cage which she seems to like. (I like it too but that sucker is really heavy!)

Every evening when I open her cage door, she comes out on her own, and I move her (using a perch) to a central area like her little tree play area or to the perch on top of her travel cage. She usually just sits there and accepts treats, and when she gets bored she flies back to her cage. Last night she flew over to the couch where I was sitting, and hung out beside me. I know she wants to be on my shoulder, but the few times I let her up there I had a hard time getting her back down without a fight. I want her to be comfortable on my hands first.

She is very good at going back in her cage when I need her to. She steps up onto a perch every time, and I can put her back in. She gets a treat for going in so easily. She will let me scratch her head occasionally, but will still bite.

My question is, what next? I know she likes me and wants to be near me. She is well-behaved when out of her cage. What training should I start with? Should I be working on "step up" without biting, or will that come as she gets more comfortable with me? I think we are ready for the next stage.
Thanks in advance!

Notdumasilook

Jul 28, 2015
Charlotte, NC
Parrots
Blue Fronted Amazon, Cookie..Sun Conure..lil Booger (RIP) Have owned Parakeets, lovebirds, cockatiels, cockatoos, pocket parrot, and quakers.
Congrats on the new baby!!!! Sounds like you have a real gem of a bird there and you are doing great. Heck Id just keep it simple starting with getting em to get on my hand. Of course you can expect maybe lil protest screek and maybe a lil nip but as long as you "insist" the nips should come with less pressure... then to the screech only. As long as it doesn't go to them latching on like a snapping turtle methinks it'll work itself out. Be prepared as the bird bonds to you to have a constant companion. My lil Booger (a sun conure).. if hes out of the cage he is on either the wife or myself. He wants the whole flock together and if one of us would leave the room he would he would start his "locating the missing" calls. Over time he has learned not to get anxious when separated.. hes learned what "be right back" means as well as "bye bye" and "time to go nite nite" etc. He continues to amaze me how smart he is. Im sure you will start being amazed as well... Best of luck to ya and the new baby!!!!!!!!!:orange:

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 40-year-old Patagonian Conure
Your bird is so many light years better-behaved than mine... geeeez!

I'm sure folks like NotDum et al will give you lots of trick/training ideas!

Notdumasilook

Jul 28, 2015
Charlotte, NC
Parrots
Blue Fronted Amazon, Cookie..Sun Conure..lil Booger (RIP) Have owned Parakeets, lovebirds, cockatiels, cockatoos, pocket parrot, and quakers.
Honestly I'm not much of a trick trainer. Rather my attentions go to keeping my critters happy with a good quality of life with NO boredom. That requires a good open line of communication with my children so we end up teaching each other. They are very good at reading me and I do my level best to meet them halfway... and its a sheer joy having such sweet loving feathered youngins. Seeing some of the post in here makes me REALLY appreciate the relationship Ive been able to cultivate with these amazing creatures. Both of my birds are proof to me that angels DO have wings.

Notdumasilook

Jul 28, 2015
Charlotte, NC
Parrots
Well thank you young lady. )
Peaches there are a few things... not exactly tricks tho you might wanna work on early as u can. Teach the baby that being wrapped in a small soft towel is fun.. It takes forever for me to write a post but im sure u can find some youtube vids on it.. as well as teaching the baby that taking stuff from a syringe is fun too. You can probably get a small syringe from your druggist. Reason I mention this is just in case u get a sick bird... it will make things a LOT easier for the both of ya and they are easier to teach young.

Most Reactions