One wet nostril in a dusty apartment

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Hi,
I live in an apartment building and we arenā€™t notified when thereā€™s work done nearby. I heard hammering this morning and woke up sneezing. Willow has also sneezed a few times out of one nostril which is wet. The other nostril is dry. I even looked inside his beak and itā€™s normal. No boogers. Normal choanal papillae. Normal mucosal color (angry bird).

Willow is at a good weight and bright eyed. Normal poops. Eyes shiny. I am wondering if this neighboring apartment work has released dust which is making us both sneezy? Jasper is perfectly fine, no sneezing, loud, etc.

OP
HeatherG

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Actually his feathers around that nostril are dry now and he is crunching his beak happily. Maybe he got water up his nose from his water bottle?

(I am still sneezy.).

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
I think you found a real use for those paper masks that had been mandated near everywhere as construction dust is about the level that they work kind of well.

Lots of possibilities. Likely a good sneeze that cleaned one the nostrils and /or a drink of water. But: your apartment should not just fill-up with construction dust unless your apartment is the exit for air from most of the building. Worth investigating.

OP
HeatherG

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I think you found a real use for those paper masks that had been mandated near everywhere as construction dust is about the level that they work kind of well.

Lots of possibilities. Likely a good sneeze that cleaned one the nostrils and /or a drink of water. But: your apartment should not just fill-up with construction dust unless your apartment is the exit for air from most of the building. Worth investigating.
Willow seems to be fine. I think Iā€™m sick.
This apartment building is pretty old and crappy so who knows? I just thought since the construction was clearly nearby, maybe we got more dust. I was worried because his left nostril was very wet and he sneezed a lot.

I will check Willow for discharge but heā€™s scolding so heā€™s likely still feeling wellā€¦yes, Willow and Jasper are free of discharge and being noisy. Alas, I am not free of discharge.

Last edited:

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
i can just offer that when my Penny was sick, she did have intermittent one wet nostril. It would drain a little then quickly dry. They do not have to be continously wet to be sick. And she actually never sneezed. She was very very sick.

And occasionally I will see my healthy ones have a random wet nostril, its rare but have seen.

Id be checking weight. See if any swelling around eye, or face, or near nostril

OP
HeatherG

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Willowā€™s weight is fine. Heā€™s well muscled with a good amount of fat. Face appears normal, I donā€™t see any swelling suggesting sinus issues. He hasnā€™t been rubbing his nares; theyā€™re not reddened and the find feathering is same on both sides.Eyes are same and appear normal. No conjunctivitis, no discharge from the eye. Nothing unusual about tongue or choana, either. I wonder if he had some irritation in the morning, because I heard a burst of sneezes and then none, then a couple in afternoon. Now I hear no sneezes and a very dramatic human-sneeze imitation from someone. Heā€™s eating and poops are normal.

I was reassured when Willow was sitting on his basket in my lap and crunching his beak. I couldnā€™t hear any respiratory differences. Since I noted that heā€™s crunching his beak, heā€™s content and feeling well. He was scolding this afternoon, too.

Jasper looks normal as well. He has no sneezing or discharge, has not been rubbing his naresā€”they still have fine bristles. His eyes also are not swollen, not red, no discharge and he was loud today.

I, on the other hand, seem to be getting some sort of bugā€¦but that is typical. I shouldnā€™t be living in an apartment building. Itā€™s stressful and germy.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Its great to hear all of this, and that you checked and are aware what to check for..all great.

I just have to share, that Penny didn't have swelling either, wasn't scratching, only saw some pink once. I also inspected her mouth no swelling or redness. But before the sinus started draining intermittent she did hsve squint at her sickest. Its just because others will read that I share. If I saw one wet nostril off and on over a couple if days, I would be concerned. Even with zero other symptoms. I would check with a veterinarian. One off not so much.

Hopefully everything is indeed fine.

OP
HeatherG

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Thanks for your concern and extra info about what you observed with Pennyā€™s illness. I will be watching both birds very closely. I should start really monitoring food intake, too.

Right now both boys are in good flesh, as I am as well. šŸ˜. And loud.

OP
HeatherG

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Thanks for your concern and extra info about what you observed with Pennyā€™s illness. I will be watching both birds very closely. I should start really monitoring food intake, too.

Right now both boys are in good flesh, as I am as well. šŸ˜. And loud.
Willow has a dry nose this morning, though he was still sleepy and would not come out for a visit. I hope he inhaled somethingā€”dust or waterā€”yesterday and the sneezes were to dislodge it. We will see how he behaves today.
ā€¦ā€¦ā€¦..
Willow is fine today. He has no discharge and is alert and happy. Playing with his toys and ripping up his pinecones. He is finally acting more like a normal outgoing Quaker.

Last edited:
OP
HeatherG

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Willow is the April centerfold in the QPS calendar.

Attachments

• 9816A12B-437A-4A9F-A447-038E720ED0CD.jpeg
    9816A12B-437A-4A9F-A447-038E720ED0CD.jpeg
    48 KB · Views: 70

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Willow has a dry nose this morning, though he was still sleepy and would not come out for a visit. I hope he inhaled somethingā€”dust or waterā€”yesterday and the sneezes were to dislodge it. We will see how he behaves today.
ā€¦ā€¦ā€¦..
Willow is fine today. He has no discharge and is alert and happy. Playing with his toys and ripping up his pinecones. He is finally acting more like a normal outgoing Quaker.
Wonderful that this was just a blip and nothing to worry about

OP
HeatherG

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Wonderful that this was just a blip and nothing to worry about
Yes, heā€™s fine. He has been coming out better and better and finally getting more confident, acting more outgoing, playing with toys instead do of being scared of them. I think that is helped by me not picking him up inside his cage. Thank you for your advice.

OP
HeatherG

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Iā€™ve solved the mystery! (The mystery of the occasionally wet nostril).

I was drinking grapefruit juice cocktail this morning and Willow asked for a drink. He made eye contact, stood up tall, opened his beak and made a smacking noise. So I gave him a drink. He decided he really liked the juice and sucked down a bunch until I took it away.

Willow was sitting on his basket a bit later and started to sneeze. His nose had been perfectly dry before the big long drink he took. He sneezed a bunch of times (and it was a wet sneeze). I am pretty sure he drank the juice so fast he got it up his nose. So now I will be less worried and maybe I wonā€™t drink anything when Willow is out because he always wants some drink and I donā€™t want to hurt his feelings by saying ā€œnoā€.

Iā€™m so proud that he chose to ā€œtalkā€ to me!

Last edited:

Most Reactions