Brisbane, Australia
Parrots
Cory: Short billed Corella -
Echo: Galah -
Max: Alexandrine -
Skye: Yellow Sided conure -
Luka: Green Cheek Conure -
RIP Shrek: Quaker
I would be scared, too... He could start to explore his territory and fly further and further away...

Do you train him around your home, so he knows what your place looks like from above? That's what MareMiller did, and that's why Amigo knows where he lives, and he keeps coming back...

OP
Dlong

Dlong

Jun 12, 2012
Atlanta Georgia
Parrots
Conure- Oscar Wild
Cockatiel - Cisco
I would be scared, too... He could start to explore his territory and fly further and further away...

Do you train him around your home, so he knows what your place looks like from above? That's what MareMiller did, and that's why Amigo knows where he lives, and he keeps coming back...

Well I was visiting my parents house so this field was new to him. We have gone many times to Georgia Tech campus though and he never really pushed the boundaries, but the trees there are much smaller and less dense.

Mare Miller

Banned
Banned
May 14, 2011
Media
sierra foothills of central California
Parrots
13yr. old male umbrella cockatoo,
we call him Amigo!

7yr. old Goffin cockatoo, she IS Sassy!!
I have never done free flight with Amigo outside of our property, it's been two years now. I think I would be concerned if I did take Amigo elsewhere, and have thought about doing this with him, in like Baja, for instance...and I believe he would come back to me only because he is so bonded with me, but the terrain there is nothing like here...he would pierce himself on a cactus, first thing. I suppose I could take him to some friend's house in the area and try and see what happens but I'm not interested in experimenting,,or taking the risk.

I've never done any kind of professional training course with Amigo. He comes to me because, I guess, he loves me?...and knows where home is.

Last edited:

lene1949

Sep 26, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Parrots
Cory: Short billed Corella -
Echo: Galah -
Max: Alexandrine -
Skye: Yellow Sided conure -
Luka: Green Cheek Conure -
RIP Shrek: Quaker
I have never done free flight with Amigo outside of our property, it's been two years now. I think I would be concerned if I did take Amigo elsewhere, and have thought about doing this with him, in like Baja, for instance...and I believe he would come back to me only because he is so bonded with me, but the terrain there is nothing like here...he would pierce himself on a cactus, first thing. I suppose I could take him to some friend's house in the area and try and see what happens but I'm not interested in experimenting,,or taking the risk.

I've never done any kind of professional training course with Amigo. He comes to me because, I guess, he loves me?...and knows where home is.

He knows where home is and he loves you.... lol

OP
Dlong

Dlong

Jun 12, 2012
Atlanta Georgia
Parrots
Conure- Oscar Wild
Cockatiel - Cisco
Yea I can tell when I take Oscar to the Georgia Tech field that we always go to because he flies a lot more. I know Oscar will come back, but I should keep the areas where we fly to a minimum so he can get comfortable with them.

I also started some clicker training to motivate him with some treats when he recalls. I will see if this makes a difference.

Mudkips

May 6, 2012
Media
Melbourne, Australia
Parrots
Birdy the Green Cheek Conure
When I took Birdy out for a free flight session in a field, he displayed the same recall ability of just wanting to be close to me. I would place him on the ground and run away, he would come flying after me very quickly. Whenever I was stationary, he would refuse to fly.

One point when he didn't fly towards me was when he was chased around by another bird (this other bird was smaller then a GGC, about the size of a finch.) I never got to test whether my recall would work after the scare because he was exhausted from flying away - he's a very poor flyer.

I hope you find a good method of recall, I know how hard it can be to get them out of a tree!

luvmytooo

Dec 22, 2011
New York
Parrots
*Yoshi* Goffins Cockatoo
* Rosie*Rose Breasted Galah
*Stella*Hyacinth Macaw
*Baby*Catalina Macaw

*Multiple Parakeets*
:25_coolgu. TOTALLY AWESOME :jumping40

Thank you for sharing with us !
Your Conure is so beautiful and he looks extremely happy being with you
outside flying :)
Love that your using Chris Biro and Susan, they are the most knowledgable people of free flight .
I would love to go to one of their seminars , but I doubt I will ever free fly any of my birds. But I can always dream , lol.

In regards to Oscar roaming further then you are comfortable with....
I have no idea if this is the right fix , but do you ever just work on recalls when you go to a new place ? Since he is roaming , maybe just practice the recalls starting with only a hundred feet then add more and more distance .
Then call it a day...this way he knows he has the same boundaries .
Sounds like Oscar doesn't really know his boundaries or your expectations of him and he has decided to create his own.....which could be dangerous like you have experienced with the vultures. To my knowledge though , vultures may inspect the newcomer but I think they only eat dead animals .....so oScar who us be safe from them , but it's those dang hawks you need to be wary of....
I read a article Chris had about the experiences he had with new birds and their reactions when they first saw a predator. But he had another bird with the newbie , so I guess their reactions woud be different next to your Oscar's.
I would do more reading and put in a phone call to Chris and see what he suggests , that would be yor best bet...

Good luck ! Oscar is amazing , you two definitely have a special bond :)

Keep those videos and pictures coming !!!!!

All the best :)

OP
Dlong

Dlong

Jun 12, 2012
Atlanta Georgia
Parrots
Conure- Oscar Wild
Cockatiel - Cisco
I have not had time to take Oscar outside for more than 2 weeks. I could tell he was getting very antsy in the house so I decided to take him out yesterday because I finally had free time. As soon as I took him out in the field he knew where he was and took off. It was awesome! He probably did six large laps around me and recalled when I called him. I know it sounds obvious, but I have found that he only goes into a tree when he is tired and knows that I'm pushing him to fly. Once he gains his breath he decides to come down. When he comes to land on me sometimes I point and say "Go" and he knows that means take another lap, so he avoids the landing and goes for another lap. If I do to many of these in a row he goes into a tree...

Just an update. Maybe somebody can find this info useful...?

dlong-albums-oscar-picture4389-awesome-picture-you-can-see-atlanta-behind-him-he-forages-field.jpg

Last edited:

ConureCrazy

Jun 13, 2012
Media
California
Parrots
Senegal: Oliver ~~
Yellow-Sided GCC's: Bella and Zora ~~
R.I.P Tweeters the Cockatiel<3
You have a very nice camera, lol.
Seems you are doing a great job with Oscar!

parrot14

Jul 30, 2012
Jakarta, Indonesia
Parrots
sun conure, yellowside conure, long tailed parakeet, black bearded parakeet, african grey
Love this, and you do it fast training him within 2 months to get all the bonding.

Lovelyloribeth

Jul 15, 2012
Georgia
Parrots
💙ChiChi~GCC~2 yrs.💙
💚Red~IRN~4 mos.💚

💛Houdini~Sun Conure~2 yrs.💛
I own a bird. You own a flyer!

It's been said already. It to them as pets doing what they are designed to do has got to be so humbling for everyone. I wish I could do that...but I don't have the confidence. I'd be too scared to lose him. :( but it's wonderful to see y'all having such a good time. <3

Most Reactions

Latest posts