May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
I think it’s worth a try. Maybe you ought to take away other food sources?
Picasso only needs 0.5 ml twice a day. I can fit all that on a piece of millet, and chop is great for her (plus I can put yogurt with probiotics on it!).

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Yes, if yours will lick up yogurt like mine do you can mix in.

Must not hsve artificial sweetners as those are harmful to birds.

OP
π•Ύπ–™π–”π–—π–’π–žπ•»π–Žπ–ˆπ–†
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Yes, if yours will lick up yogurt like mine do you can mix in.

Must not hsve artificial sweetners as those are harmful to birds.
Nope, it's all organic, non-hormone, unflavored :)
My guys love yogurt!

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
At first I thought yogurt was bad for birds because it has milk, but according to a lot of sources it isn't! But I think I'll only use plain yogurt if they are ill and need medicine.

OP
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Ok, Picasso is doing a bit better! I got Kaytee Exact hand feeding formula, which has probiotics. I injected some Baytril in her millet and bell peppers this morning. I also got some bins to put treats in, because she and Apollo kept biting through the millet and seed bag to get them!

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Ok, Picasso is doing a bit better! I got Kaytee Exact hand feeding formula, which has probiotics. I injected some Baytril in her millet and bell peppers this morning. I also got some bins to put treats in, because she and Apollo kept biting through the millet and seed bag to get them!
Do you think she would eat the hand feeding formula if you put some Baytril into it? Do you think she’s eating the medicated millet?

I hope she does better. I really think it would be best to put the meds in her water. You don’t know how much she’s getting now, though i understand you are doing this as last resort.

You have very nice budgies! I’m impressed with how tame they are. I had one that was really tame and friendly, but sadly my three year old brother wanted to pet him and he flew out the open window. We lived in the woods so he flew around in some huge trees for a few days until a thunderstorm. Then he wasn’t seen any more.

OP
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Do you think she would eat the hand feeding formula if you put some Baytril into it? Do you think she’s eating the medicated millet?

I hope she does better. I really think it would be best to put the meds in her water. You don’t know how much she’s getting now, though i understand you are doing this as last resort.

You have very nice budgies! I’m impressed with how tame they are. I had one that was really tame and friendly, but sadly my three year old brother wanted to pet him and he flew out the open window. We lived in the woods so he flew around in some huge trees for a few days until a thunderstorm. Then he wasn’t seen any more.
But I do...
I'm not that budgie owner that offers seeds 24/7, you know!
I medicate a small piece of millet, then hand feed it to her. She eats it, then I know she got most (if not all) of the meds. They're pretty tame since they free roam my room all day, 24/7, and get to interact with me and see what I'm doing. Putting meds in the water wouldn't allow me to see how much she's drinking. The other birds could also drink it.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
But I do...
I'm not that budgie owner that offers seeds 24/7, you know!
I medicate a small piece of millet, then hand feed it to her. She eats it, then I know she got most (if not all) of the meds. They're pretty tame since they free roam my room all day, 24/7, and get to interact with me and see what I'm doing. Putting meds in the water wouldn't allow me to see how much she's drinking. The other birds could also drink it.
Well, that sounds great! I am glad she’s feeling well enough to do that and trusts you so much to eat the medicated food out of your hand! Although I am still a bit worried that your other birds could have a milder case of this infection and just kind of pass it around. That’s why I thought meds in the water would be best.
Good luck!

OP
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Well, that sounds great! I am glad she’s feeling well enough to do that and trusts you so much to eat the medicated food out of your hand! Although I am still a bit worried that your other birds could have a milder case of this infection and just kind of pass it around. That’s why I thought meds in the water would be best.
Good luck!
Same here. They'll all have a checkup if they show symptoms.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Same here. They'll all have a checkup if they show symptoms.
Your setup for your birds sounds wonderful! I’m glad your parents let you do that. Birds can be so cuddly and sweet and most people don’t know how much personality and love they have. My Jasper is in his cage now and just told me he is a β€œkissy bird”. I’m not sure how he came up with that because I don’t call him that often. He must really like it 😊

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month πŸ†
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 40-year-old Patagonian Conure
Sorry I'm so late to this thread.
Medications are an ODYSSEY, aren't they??????!!!!!!!
A half teaspoon of orange juice hides the little dose of Enalapril which the Rb gets twice a day...
MANNN, I hope that keeps working!

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
Best of luck Stormy! As a parent, and also someone who once had a bird as a younger person whom my parents couldn’t afford to take to the vet, it’s a tough position for everyone and you are absolutely doing your best. I’m rooting for Picasso!

OP
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Best of luck Stormy! As a parent, and also someone who once had a bird as a younger person whom my parents couldn’t afford to take to the vet, it’s a tough position for everyone and you are absolutely doing your best. I’m rooting for Picasso!
Thank you! If she shows no improvement, we're going to the vet on Monday.

OP
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Took her millet like a good girl tonight! She did start squinting, which is her version of 'gross!' (the meds taste HORRIBLE), but she ate it all with some unmedicated millet as periodic rewards. I'm so proud of her!

OP
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Hoping and praying for the best! (((( HUGS ))))
Thank you! She's doing her signature 'happy hops' right now, so I think she'll be just fine!

Most Reactions

Latest posts