Question about weaning age

RainbowRose

Aug 6, 2014
Can weaning ages vary? I'm 99% positive that NO TWO BIRDS are the same, and I'm getting some grief from people on a parrot facebook group about my new bird.

I brought home my new kakariki last night. She will be 6 weeks old in 2 days. The breeder was raising her and weaning her for me and finally told me she was basically good to go and was eating 95% on her own as of last week and that I could take her home soon. Even showed me photos etc. So I brought her home and she is pigging out on oranges, strawberries, peaches, papaya (LOVES PAPAYA), harrison's pellets, katy's fruit pellets, egg mix, millet, etc. She's eating a LOT, all BY HERSELF.

I was excited and posted my photo online to show everyone my new baby girl and people were basically giving me grief that she is way too young and is too young to be weaned, etc etc etc.

Well, kakariki leave the nest at 3-4 weeks and wean FAST after that. She's at 6 weeks. Fully feathered. And eating.

The breeder even sent me home with a bag of formula to do a feeding once a day for another week if she still wants it, but she won't even take it. She doesn't want it. She wants to eat by herself and she goes nuts when she does. Right now she has papaya all over her beak. (Lol)

Correct me if I'm wrong but not all bird species wean at the same time, and no two birds of the same species wean at the exact same time. Does it sound like my bird is having an issue? Cause to me it doesn't, and they are making me feel very badly about all of this. I was so excited to share with people and I am just getting badgered as if I am some bad person or something. The breeder and myself took precautions, and I've also been watching her droppings to note the difference between droppings after eating formula vs solid food. She's got normal droppings from solid food.

I really don't see what the problem is. Yes she's approaching 6 weeks old, but no, she IS rejecting formula and eating on her own. And quite a variety at that.

Sigh....I really don't feel like I am in any danger. I'm staring at her right now and she's making a mess of her food. I feel guilted now though as if I did something so terriblyyyy wrong. I really think she is fine. What do you think?

OP
R

RainbowRose

Aug 6, 2014

I even just went to put an orange in her dish and she grabs it from me. Doesn't seem like she's "unweaned" or in any danger to me.

Last edited:

Frumpydumple

Apr 21, 2013
Durham, UK.
Parrots
My birds: Skyler/Sky, violet Indian Ringneck. Mother's birds: Norman, African Grey and Mildred, Blue Crowned Conure.
Birds do wean at different ages. It's possible she could still regress and want formula again since she is so young, but I think she will be just fine. As long as she's eating I don't see a problem. She is adorable by the way.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Yes they can wean at different time. Out of the 5 chicks I've recently weaned the youngest weaned first close to 5 weeks while one of the oldest one just weaned yesterday. The older one hatched on 1/15/15

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
Realy realy, I understand where you are at, she is good, and you are doing beyond great! Slow down and realize how fantastic it is!

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Maybe people are freaking out because 6 weeks sounds so young for other species, but if Kakariki typically leave the nest and wean that quickly, AND she's eating lots of foods without a hint of not being weaned, I'd say what's the problem? She sure is cute!

thekarens

Sep 29, 2013
Maybe people are freaking out because 6 weeks sounds so young for other species, but if Kakariki typically leave the nest and wean that quickly, AND she's eating lots of foods without a hint of not being weaned, I'd say what's the problem? She sure is cute!

Seems young to me. Linnies (which are much smaller) fledge at 5 weeks and wean at 7 if they are parent raised. If they are hand feed it sometimes takes longer.

That's not to say this bird isn't weaned, but I can see why people would be concerned. I don't let my linnies go until 8 weeks just to be certain.

Last edited:

jasper19

Supporting Member
Aug 13, 2014
North Dakota, USA
Parrots
Congo African Grey "Angel"

Muloccan Cockatoo "Bahama"
There are a lot of internet experts out there. Also, in the pet world, everyone thinks they are better 'pet parents' then you are, and want to tell you everything your doing wrong. I wouldn't sweat it too much.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
I've been raising different types of birds for 18 years. Trust me they wean at different times.

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
1.) I don't know anything about that particular species.
2.) If she is refusing all formula and eating plenty on her own, I would consider her weaned.
3.) Species differ, and individuals differ.
4.) As a breeder I NEVER send a baby home that is even CLOSE to still needing formula, no matter how anxious the new owner is to have them, and it concerns me that yours did this when weaning is such a critical developmental stage.

I would just keep an eye on her, offer her formula at the righ temp (really important) at least once a day for several days, but if she keeps refusing don't stress. I always recommend a trip to the vet for new birds though, and if your vet is concerned, it's best to take his advice. As for in tenet bullies, explain that your bird is fully weaned and refusing formula, etc, or just ignored hem. Most of them are concerned for your bird and just really don't know how to politely express concern online.

OP
R

RainbowRose

Aug 6, 2014
1.) I don't know anything about that particular species.
2.) If she is refusing all formula and eating plenty on her own, I would consider her weaned.
3.) Species differ, and individuals differ.
4.) As a breeder I NEVER send a baby home that is even CLOSE to still needing formula, no matter how anxious the new owner is to have them, and it concerns me that yours did this when weaning is such a critical developmental stage.

I would just keep an eye on her, offer her formula at the righ temp (really important) at least once a day for several days, but if she keeps refusing don't stress. I always recommend a trip to the vet for new birds though, and if your vet is concerned, it's best to take his advice. As for in tenet bullies, explain that your bird is fully weaned and refusing formula, etc, or just ignored hem. Most of them are concerned for your bird and just really don't know how to politely express concern online.

He said he wouldn't give her to me until she was weaned as requested and so far I've had no problems :) she's a pig. Hahaha. She is eating everything I give her except formula. She just runs away from that. They gave it just in case but she seems to be refusing. I'll keep trying regardless just in case, but she keeps flying down to eat different foods as she pleases. She seems to be doing really well :) she is 6 weeks old today

Thanks everyone :)

OP
R

RainbowRose

Aug 6, 2014
There are a lot of internet experts out there. Also, in the pet world, everyone thinks they are better 'pet parents' then you are, and want to tell you everything your doing wrong. I wouldn't sweat it too much.

Thank you! That makes me feel better. I have been using my best judgement and I'm Always a skeptic and I've owned birds for over 10 years so I'd like to think I know what I'm doing and handling the situation accordingly. Thanks for the feedback, you guys are the best. At least you guys can be honest but NICE. Thank you thank you! She's doing really well by the way, no issues thus far

Most Reactions

Latest posts