Questions

Tenleigh

Jun 20, 2022
Parrots
Cockatiel
I have a 4 month old cockatiel! I have a question because I always see this. My cockatiel loves to snuggle, he loves his head scratch and he loves kisses. But that’s only he wants. I see birds playing and whistling a lot, my bird doesn’t do that as much. Is it just because he is just a baby? When he gets older does he become more like a bird? Should I keep giving him scratches? (He does whistle and play but not as much, he just cleans himself and wants to be scratched)

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Loves scratches and kisses and snuggles - what a horrible bird. Really, what's wrong with that??

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
Cockatiels aren't the most outgoing of birds when it comes to playing. From my experience they prefer to just hang out with their person.

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
At 4 months of age gender can’t really be determined short of a DNA test.

Female Cockatiels are/tend to be much quieter than the male birds. They don’t sing so much as males and just chirp.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I think it’s normal, and also, your bird is still very young. Takes a lot of energy to grow up in 6 months!

Also, it seems like he’s really focused on YOU right now. I think he’d still be with his immediate family if he were in the wild, maybe still have mom and dad tending to him. And that’s what you are doing for him with snuggling and pets.

OP
Tenleigh

Tenleigh

Jun 20, 2022
Parrots
Cockatiel
At 4 months of age gender can’t really be determined short of a DNA test.

Female Cockatiels are/tend to be much quieter than the male birds. They don’t sing so much as males and just chirp.
We did do a dna test it’s a boy

Most Reactions