Radom question about macaw beak?

randysnp

Jul 25, 2012
Michigan, USA
Parrots
Blue and Gold macaw named Oliver
Male
12 years old
My blue and gold macaw, as well as about every picture i have seen of macaws has white stuff on their beak, I was just wondering what it is?

Attachments

• Oliver..jpg
    Oliver..jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 10,395
  • Oliver.jpg
    Oliver.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 5,107

MacawGuy

Jun 12, 2012
Indiana
Parrots
B&G Macaw
there beak grows like fingernails. thats y u have to get there beak trim. so that should be fine

Alisana

May 31, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Yuki - Snow white budgie; Luna - Blue budgie; Pocket - Hahn's Macaw
If you're referring to the white 'cracks', I've read that it can be the result of Vitamin A deficiency. (Depends on how deep the cracks are - if they're bad, then have a chat with the avian vet for dietary requirements)

Otherwise, if its the white edging where the skin meets the beak, I think it's the same as the little flap of skin we have at the base of our nails/cuticles. I could be wrong though. Why not ask your avian vet next time you're in there for a checkup? :)

MaraWentz

Banned
Banned
Mar 27, 2012
Media
St.Leonard, MD
Parrots
Red Front Macaw, Elvis, 10,male RIP

Red Front Macaw, Erin, 1.5,female

Goffin Cockatoo, Blossom 2,female Rehomed

Blue & Gold Macaw, Oscar, Male, 21 years old, Rehomed

American Bulldog Mix,
Pretty sure it's normal. Google pics of blue & golds and they all have it :) I agree with Alisana it's probably like a cuticle.

OP
R

randysnp

Jul 25, 2012
Michigan, USA
Parrots
Blue and Gold macaw named Oliver
Male
12 years old
Thanks everyone, I guess as I'm just a little worry wart because he's my first macaw. I will ask the vet about his vitamin a, just to be sure. Thanks :)

azdesertrhino

Oct 29, 2010
Tucson, AZ
Parrots
Blue & Gold Macaw
MAC, our B&G Macaw has the same things.

From what I've read and others mentioned here it is due to the growth of the beak, like fingernails.

Most Reactions