Red Eyes

gracegao

Oct 21, 2022
Parrots
cockatiel, irn, budgie
View attachment 45151
I recently got a cockatiel. It is my first time keeping a cockatiel with this mutation, so I'm not sure if this is normal or not. There is a red ring around both its eyes. It doesn't seem to be itchy. However, the previous household that kept this bird neglected it a lot. There is also a red patch under the bird's wings. It'll be going to the vet next Friday but the avian vets here aren't that good. What should I do in the mean time?

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Maybe you could offer him a bath with plain water? That might help his skin be less irritated or possibly clean off any stuff that’s bothering him.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I can't see the picture.
But sometimes that is linked with chlamydia infection. Which can be treated and cured ( if it is even this) it just takes an 45 day doxy treatment. This is really the only antibiotics that work against the infection. And the only reason you have to give it so long is the infection goes through dormant periords. And would evade treatment otherwise. But the birds start feeling much better by ten days or even earlier.
Doxy is cheap, and rarely causes secondary fungal infections. Its well tolerated by birds

But sometimes the infection effects the eyes so much that eye meds needs to be given as well . Vets use different eye meds based on what they see. To prevent blindness and scars on eyes. And to help them heal and feel better quickly.

If it is chlamydia. I can't know . It takes a vet. But it is a rather common infection and higher prevalence in cocktiel

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Here is info, click link takes you to page in thread
Post in thread 'Ornithology: Share and discuss scientific articles on parrots!' https://www.parrotforums.com/thread...entific-articles-on-parrots.82369/post-991142

This is an overview of chlamydia . This type of infection can range from carrier state ( not actively sick) to mild, or severe acute. Any birds with symptoms and suspected infection must be treated. Conjunctivitis is a classic symptom especially in cocktiels. But there are always other things that can cause symptoms.

Its hard to find good information to share that won't freak you out. Because there is no need to freak out! If your baby has this and you to vet get diagnosed get the doxy, your bird will recover. You will want to keep things very clean. Provide lots of yummy food and make sure eating well. Prevent chill. Provide extra warmth via a radiant heat source like the sweeter heater, or k and h cage warmer , keep bird away from windows and on an interior wall so it's warmer and no cold leaching from windows. Maybe keep home a little warmer. If diagnosed with this is contagious to other birds. Any other birds in home should be treated at same time regardless of them having symptoms or not. And it is common to have a relapse and need a second round of doxy so watch for any relapse symptoms after first round is finished. Be assured prompt veterinarian care and treatment you bird will recover and live a long healthy happy life. It's ok for this type of infection to have vet prescribed doxy added to water. Have to make fresh and change every day. This is how mine were treated. Or vet may do shots or have you give by mouth

Last edited:

Most Reactions