Status
Not open for further replies.

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Eclectus Parrot: Nico (male)
Jenday Conure: Kiwi (female)
Could you fly with Phoenix? I was looking into this with Spirit airlines sometime ago and it was a viable option

I also looked at https://citizenshipper.com/

But never used them.
It sounds like American Airlines does ship animals. @Jexnell is calling them on Monday. It is so strange because most places no longer ship animals. I could potentially fly myself, and pickup Phoenix. That just sounded more expensive because it would be 2 flights instead of 1. I could be wrong though Iā€™ve never flighted an animal before.

SunConureBaba

May 16, 2022
Greater Toronto Area, Canada
Parrots
Sun Conure son (with me in spirit);
Baby Robin (my son's reincarnation? RIP);
Red Factor Sun Conure (adopted);
Magpie (rescued as baby, returned to the wild after 1 year, 24+ years ago).
Sun conures are fragile, I would not ship them using an airplane whatsoever. What if the storage room overheats / runs out of oxygen? Can the bird get used to the rapid air pressure change, the one that makes your ears painful? It might also scare the crap out of phoenix.

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Feb 20, 2022
They should be able to tell you whether you need a health certificate and how soon before the flight it would need to be done.

OP
Jexnell

Jexnell

Supporting Member
2x Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Jul 28, 2019
Portland Oregon
Parrots
Phoenix - Sun conure
Do you know what these flights require from a vet? I can call American Airlines and ask tomorrow. They just need a certificate?
What I get from the website is they want the certificate.

If are still willing to do this I'll drop the rehoming fee since all in it will be around $600 to ship him.
$300ish for the flight
$245 for the certificate
$60ish for the carrier

If we move forward first would you calling and setting his wellness check appointment.
Now if he fails the checkup (I have no cause to worry about this) then I would have to refund the wellness check cost. They should refund the certificate cost since they won't be writing one.
In the meantime you would buy the carrier and have it shipped to me instead of you, from like Amazon etc.
When he has passed the check you then get his flight setup

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Did you call the airlines? I would love to get this set up. When is the first flight? Did they say how this works?

OP
Jexnell

Jexnell

Supporting Member
Jul 28, 2019
Portland Oregon
Parrots
Phoenix - Sun conure
Did you call the airlines? I would love to get this set up. When is the first flight? Did they say how this works?
I did not call the Airline. Was just going off of the information on the website.

OP
Jexnell

Jexnell

Supporting Member
Jul 28, 2019
Portland Oregon
Parrots
Phoenix - Sun conure
Looking further on that link. There is no flights from Portland to Minneapolis Direct or indirect.

So this won't work šŸ˜•

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
I will call tomorrow, and see when their first flight is, definite pricing, what specifically they require from the vet, and how soon before.

OP
Jexnell

Jexnell

Supporting Member
Jul 28, 2019
Portland Oregon
Parrots
Phoenix - Sun conure
I will call tomorrow, and see when their first flight is, definite pricing, what specifically they require from the vet, and how soon before.
Look at the link you posted

In the section titled
How to fly with your pet
There is a link to a list of things to check before calling them.

First is age. Phoenix is over 8 weeks old so good there
Second is restricted breeds
Phoenix is not a flat nosed cat or dog such as a Himalayan or Pug etc so good here
Third is to verify there is a flight departing from and going to where you need with the right aircraft as some have the pet area some don't.
This is where we have a problem. There are no flights nonstop or indirect from PDX ( Portland Oregon Airport) to MIC ( Minneapolis St.Paul Airport). It's not that it's the wrong type of aircraft there are no flights at all.

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Feb 20, 2022
Look at the link you posted

In the section titled
How to fly with your pet
There is a link to a list of things to check before calling them.

First is age. Phoenix is over 8 weeks old so good there
Second is restricted breeds
Phoenix is not a flat nosed cat or dog such as a Himalayan or Pug etc so good here
Third is to verify there is a flight departing from and going to where you need with the right aircraft as some have the pet area some don't.
This is where we have a problem. There are no flights nonstop or indirect from PDX ( Portland Oregon Airport) to MIC ( Minneapolis St.Paul Airport). It's not that it's the wrong type of aircraft there are no flights at all.
Oh! That's an easy fix :) Minneapolis is MSP.

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Does anyone know if we can fly with a bird? Like if I paid for your plane ticket here, and home if youā€™d be willing to ride with Phoenix. That or I do it. Or do they have to be in a cargo? I will ask tomorrow when I call. If anyone else comes up with questions I should ask just let me know.

OP
Jexnell

Jexnell

Supporting Member
Jul 28, 2019
Portland Oregon
Parrots
Phoenix - Sun conure
Does anyone know if we can fly with a bird? Like if I paid for your plane ticket here, and home if youā€™d be willing to ride with Phoenix. That or I do it. Or do they have to be in a cargo? I will ask tomorrow when I call. If anyone else comes up with questions I should ask just let me know.
I does say you can fly with him in the cabin if the carrier will fit under the seat in front of you. Still has to have the health certificate.
But could you imagine a conure flock calling inside the cabin of an aircraft..... It specifically says you can't take the animal out of the carrier. I know Phoenix, and he will scream his head off till I let him out so he can get on my shoulder and feel safe.

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Yeah Kiwi my Jenday would scream bloody murder too especially if she could see me/knows Iā€™m there, and I didnā€™t let her out. If people complain about crying babies imagine if they are hearing screaming conures!! I know @Cottonoid has family in Oregon. Maybe she has an idea. Otherwise Iā€™ll call tomorrow and ask a lot of questions, and try to figure out something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most Reactions