Rehoming Phoenix my Sun Conure

Status
Not open for further replies.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I THINK Magoo was flown via delta, but that was 15 yrs ago. Out of Connecticut to the twin cities. I picked him up from a little office and had good id and a bit of paperwork.

The finch farm.com ships birds. I wonder what company they use? Some breeders also ship birds (flight).

I know that itā€™s hard to ship birds and plants in summer (like, now) and in the dead of winter because there are wait and transfer times when the critters would be exposed to the heat or freezing temperatures.

Last edited:

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
I will start asking around, I already got one no though. :( Incaā€™s Secret is a parrot store in Kent (south of Seattle) that will rehome birds for you via consignment if theyā€™ve got space; it may be worth reaching out to them. I am seeing a couple parrot rescues in your area too (google ā€œParrot Rescue Oregonā€ but I donā€™t want to link them as Iā€™ve not had experience with them personally.

Littleredbeak

May 27, 2020
I am so sorry you have to rehome your beautiful well loved bird. DELTA airlines ships. You could also try adoptapet.com and rescueme.org . Do you have any parrot groups in your area? Sorry again and praying you are able to keep her or she finds the perfect family
God bless & thank you for your services

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Eclectus Parrot: Nico (male)
Jenday Conure: Kiwi (female)
I will call Delta and ask about pricing, and safety for a birdā€¦ are we still looking for a home for phoenix?

OP
Jexnell

Jexnell

Supporting Member
2x Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Jul 28, 2019
Portland Oregon
Parrots
Phoenix - Sun conure
I will call Delta and ask about pricing, and safety for a birdā€¦ are we still looking for a home for phoenix?
Yes we are.
I looked at the Deltas website about it. If I am not mistaken it says the animal to be shipped must have passed a current health/disease/virus check within 10 days of the flight. I sadly don't have funds to do that. Or get a suitable carrier

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
I am wondering if they are doing the vet check for cats, and dogs for things like kennel cough. A lot of places require rabies, and so on in order to cut a dogs hair. Iā€™m not sure what theyā€™d require when it comes to birds. Should I call?

OP
Jexnell

Jexnell

Supporting Member
Jul 28, 2019
Portland Oregon
Parrots
Phoenix - Sun conure
Also what does this part mean exactly. Did they stop all animal shipping or just overseas?

Due to changing flight schedules in response to the COVID-19 pandemic, Delta Cargo will temporarily embargo all PET shipments effective April 1, 2020, until further notice. The embargo applies to all live animals transported in cargo under the PET product code throughout the domestic and international network. Impacted customers will be proactively notified.

to me it's written saying all animal shipping has been stopped.

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
It definitely doesnā€™t make senseā€¦ I can call later this afternoon and ask. I am guessing they want dogs, and cats up to date on their shots. You canā€™t really vaccinate a bird to my knowledge?!?

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
It definitely doesnā€™t make senseā€¦ I can call later this afternoon and ask. I am guessing they want dogs, and cats up to date on their shots. You canā€™t really vaccinate a bird to my knowledge?!?
I am wondering if some of those regulations are for dogs and cats. There are few vaccines for birds and especially for parrots (most bird vaccines are for poultry).

Last edited:

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Also what does this part mean exactly. Did they stop all animal shipping or just overseas?

Due to changing flight schedules in response to the COVID-19 pandemic, Delta Cargo will temporarily embargo all PET shipments effective April 1, 2020, until further notice. The embargo applies to all live animals transported in cargo under the PET product code throughout the domestic and international network. Impacted customers will be proactively notified.

to me it's written saying all animal shipping has been stopped.
I can only imagine it's something to do with SO many flights being cancelled due to staff "shortages" - as an ex-airline worker don't even get me started about that. So they are unable to guarantee the safety of animals that can't be uplifted for long periods of time, or that may get stuck part of the way through a journey because of a cancelled flight?

Vampiric_Conure

May 16, 2022
Media
Albums
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Parrots
Charlie (M) - 23 yrs - Peach Front Conure
Redshift (M)-22yrs - normal Cockatiel
Moon (M) - 2 ys - wf pied cockatiel
Chara (F)- 1 yr - wf pied cockatiel
BUMMER! I totally understand the need to rehome. I had to reduce my flock down to two birds from six because most apartments would only allow two pets. Ugh.

I know Westjet ships birds, but it's Canadian. I wish I could be of more help! :(

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I wonder who ā€œthe finch farmā€ uses? Why did I think they were shipping birds via priority mail?

Ten years ago, I got a rehomed (plucked) Pionus through a bird caravan. Unfortunately, the last ladies who carried the poor bird tried to hold him for ransom for more money. Canā€™t believe that people would do that.

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
You would think someone somewhere ships animals. Maybe someone on here knows how to transport an animal?

I am clueless when it comes to this as Iā€™m scared of planes šŸ˜¢

CosiGirl

Apr 2, 2022
Parrots
Budgie
Have you thought about asking an avian vet in the Portland area if they recommend any rescues? I know that my avian vet has posters up in their office about people needing to find a good rehome for their pet. Did a quick google search and found this Portland avian vet. I know nothing about it so canā€™t recommend, but maybe this could be another option to look into? https://www.avianexoticvetcare.com/

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
American Airlines does ship animals. I am not sure where you are in Oregon. I can pick up in Minneapolis/St Paul. The costs are almost $300 from me trying to do an estimate online. Would you be willing to work with me on the pricing?

OP
Jexnell

Jexnell

Supporting Member
Jul 28, 2019
Portland Oregon
Parrots
Phoenix - Sun conure
American Airlines does ship animals. I am not sure where you are in Oregon. I can pick up in Minneapolis/St Paul. The costs are almost $300 from me trying to do an estimate online. Would you be willing to work with me on the pricing?
Again they require a Vet check certification. I will call on Monday to see the cost and when this can get done. But if they are still 4 months behind like his yearly check up was that moves his flight into winter time and possibility of not being able to fly due to low temps.

Littleredbeak

May 27, 2020
I wonder who ā€œthe finch farmā€ uses? Why did I think they were shipping birds via priority mail?

Ten years ago, I got a rehomed (plucked) Pionus through a bird caravan. Unfortunately, the last ladies who carried the poor bird tried to hold him for ransom for more money. Canā€™t believe that people would do that.
Wait what?? They wouldn't deliver the bird?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most Reactions

Latest posts