Rehoming Phoenix my Sun Conure

Status
Not open for further replies.

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
Ah, yeah. We have carriers that would work for the ā€˜zons on planes too, but Kirby has heart problems and Sammy is LOUD, so weā€™ve never tried in cabin either.

We did go in cabin with our dogs several times and it was uneventful. People do break the ā€œno taking them out ruleā€ all the time with dogs (we do not personally, our boys prefer to sleep in the carrier through the flight) but I wouldnā€™t do it with a parrot.

Iā€™m sorry youā€™re both still struggling with this. I actually asked my partner if we could have a sun conure but she pointed out if we got one that loud our neighbors might form an HOA just to formally chew us out!

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Cover the cage? Iā€™ve driven with birds across states, and if itā€™s daytime having a cage cover helps a lot. I couldnā€™t drive if a bird was screaming and wouldnā€™t want them to be scared anyhow. If heā€™s covered maybe he would sleep.
I rode on a greyhound with Lucy once and the only problem we had was her saying ā€œgoodbyeā€ to every single person who got off the bus.

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Eclectus Parrot: Nico (male)
Jenday Conure: Kiwi (female)
At least everyone on here knows when we are talking sun, and Jenday conures that when they scream they mean business. Thereā€™s no messing around! I love conures. They make things so colorful. Especially during phone calls.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Ok. Well I have not had a sun conure, but i did ok covering my birds for 4 or 5 hours drive or longer. Sorry that you are sure that would not work.

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
~~~
Yep. My neighbors think our YNA is loud, they donā€™t understand Iā€™ve done them a favor with only having birds who like to yell human wordsā€¦

OP
Jexnell

Jexnell

Supporting Member
2x Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Jul 28, 2019
Portland Oregon
Parrots
Phoenix - Sun conure
I can't talk on the phone in the same room as Phoenix. He will stand on my shoulder and scream the whole time like he's the one that they called to talk to.

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
~~~
Ok. Well I have not had a sun conure, but i did ok covering my birds for 4 or 5 hours drive or longer. Sorry that you are sure that would not work.
I think the issue is that the cabin pressure really changes with take off and landing, and the pressurized cabin/turbulence is all very scary for a bird! My dogs are seasoned fliers and even they get nervous sometimes. As a flock animal that establishes contact through calls I find it hard to imagine a situation where the poor little guy WOULDNā€™T feel the need to scream his head off mid flightā€¦

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
If I covered my conure sheā€™d peak through any gap, or hole she could find. Then scream some more šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚ conures are clowns. It could potentially work, and may simmer it down some depending on the conure. My in laws covered my conure at 8pm every night they babysat her thinking it would make her sleep. Soon they were laughing because she chewed holes through the blanket, and made a huge mess. Thank you so much for trying to help!

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
If it werenā€™t summer, I would put the carrier in a box or cardboard cover. Those are really dark. Iā€™ve also put carriers in grocery bags (thick) or wrapped in a quilt.

But in the summer you mostly have to worry about the bird getting too hot. So I wouldnā€™t do that until you are on the plane where it is cold. If you decide to go that route.

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
American Airlines will not allow birds for carry on, and they arenā€™t shipping animals right now. Although their website says otherwise. Iā€™m going to continue to call around today to see what I can find out.

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
I am curious nowā€¦ for all of us bird owners. What on earth are we supposed to do with our feathered friends if we move, and need to take them with us? Unless you drive you canā€™t bring them on a plane. It pretty much forces people to rehome their birds as you canā€™t bring them on any airline šŸ˜¢

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
If I paid for someoneā€™s gas maybe theyā€™d meet me half way? Portland to Minneapolis is almost a 20 hour drive.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Great newsā€¦ !!!! I found someone to ship Phoenix. I am going to message you the information as I donā€™t want to give out our personal information online.
This makes my day!!!

OP
Jexnell

Jexnell

Supporting Member
2x Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Jul 28, 2019
Portland Oregon
Parrots
Phoenix - Sun conure
So last night I broke down and called my daughter to see if she could take Phoenix. I didn't want to bother her with this as she has two kids and six budgies already. But after all the stress of trying to figure out a flight that would work I went ahead and called her.

Phoenix and I left at 7am for Spokane Washington. The trip was uneventful, so we're the introductions. It was like he was her bird all along. As soon as I opened his travel cage door her flew over and landed on my daughters shoulder and started talking to her.

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
~~~
Awww. Welcome (back?) to Washington state, Phoenix! I bet the kids were thrilled. Mine love sun conures, theyā€™re so bright and LOUD. The kids think itā€™s hilarious.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most Reactions

Latest posts