Rosie flying in her harness

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
Took Rosie to a local school field with one of my friends to get her out flying. She did awesome!

tumblr_mz0fegk1xc1rs86coo7_500.jpg

tumblr_mz0fegk1xc1rs86coo6_500.jpg

tumblr_mz0fegk1xc1rs86coo4_500.jpg

tumblr_mz0fegk1xc1rs86coo2_500.jpg

You'd never guess we liked birds XD Pic I took of my friend

24ee8a1073fe11e3953f1218d1219757_8.jpg

best pic of the day

tumblr_mz0fegk1xc1rs86coo1_1280.jpg

I also did a few videos with my Iphone 3

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOvHlmwKckk&feature=share&list=UU5QPzcyW6sHN0OBkffHzk7A"]Rosie flying 1/2/2014 - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:

punkindave

Apr 9, 2013
Media
Albums
Bethlehem, PA
Parrots
Budgie Niles, Rascal RBC-2001, Jake "footloose" CAG-2015, Butchie Triton-1988, Neyteri "Chatterbox" CAG, and the "Squeak Squad" (4 Caiques) ScooterPie 8/12, Skittles 4/13, Chica 2006, Ringo 2009
That is awesome!!
Hope to one day get Rascal brave enough to venture out like that. He was a caged perch potato for so many years. He's coming along but he doesn't like coming out much.

Strange that when he is out he's interested and engaged in everything around him, but when he's had enough he just waddles off and puts himself back in his cage!

OP
Featheredsamurai

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
That is awesome!!
Hope to one day get Rascal brave enough to venture out like that. He was a caged perch potato for so many years. He's coming along but he doesn't like coming out much.

Strange that when he is out he's interested and engaged in everything around him, but when he's had enough he just waddles off and puts himself back in his cage!
it just takes time, Rosie was also a perch potato before. She still kinda is haha. One hard thing is just getting them strong enough to fly, flying is not easy and requires a lot of muscle to do so without becoming exhausted. Many pet parrots who rarely fly are also extremely inefficient and wasteful with their energy - This causes them to tire out faster.

Wow, her wingspan is incredulous! Beautiful pics. How cold was it on your outing?
She does have huge wings XD The wing shape is common in long distance flying as well as speed. Galahs can fly around 40 mph going straight. Not cold at all, around 65
Rosie is gorgeous when she flies!! I always love seeing her pictures :)
Awww thanks :heart: After chili gets all her feathers you'll be able to get some awesome flying shots too :D

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Gorgeous pictures! Love the one you called the best pic of the day...both birds are awesome;)

aether-drifter

Jan 12, 2013
Portland, OR
Beautiful photos...but of course I'm a huge Rosie fan! :)

I had no idea people kept Kookaburras as "pets" though, especially not in the US. How cool! What is he/she like?

Sungazer

Feb 14, 2013
Australia
Parrots
Galah
Eclectus
Crimson Rosella
I like the Kookaburra. I used to have one It was a baby and hit by a car so I took it in and looked after it for a few years. It was certainly tame but never a really loving bird. They are certainly a bird with challenging diets to keep. I used to feed him either mice I bought from the pet shop along with other insects you could buy there and wild caught mice. Its a bit cruel, but live caught mice and let him catch them himself along with worms and all sorts of other things. After about 3 years I thought I should take him to the wildlife sanctuary as they no longer had a kookaburra and being illegal to keep I didnt want to get caught and charged pay huge fines ect. But like 99.9% of the animals they receive they just put him down.

It really pisses me off they have adds about how they look after sick and injured animals and have this really great hospital on display to get you to donate money but the truth is quite different. Unless the animal is a endangered one they just get put down. I should have known better as this was not my first time taking an animal in there the first time it was a injured bird a Cocky I think with a broken wing an easy fix really they just did the same thing.

lotosha

Jun 29, 2012
Parrots
A pair of cockatiels
And pair of African Greys
Very nice. It's so important to keep them feet.

Lintini

May 5, 2012
Bay Area California
Parrots
Margret-Mealy Amazon 28 (family parrot), Petri- Peach Front Conure 4, Chloe- Congo African Grey 24 and Rio- Blue Crown Conure 4 !! :D
awesome!!!!!! Rosie is so pretty!!

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
I'm a new Rosie fan! Those photos are amazing, thank you for posting them. Incredible shot of the Kookaburra!

Sungazer, that's so sad. What kind of wildlife sanctuary euthanizes the wildlife?

Most Reactions

Latest posts