ILOVEKIWI

Dec 15, 2020
somewhere you'll never find me
Parrots
Kiwi GCC
Hey everyone, My 3m. GCC sneezes. I've been reading and it says that they occasionally sneeze to clear their nostrils. But frequent sneezing and the discharge of mucus is a cause for concern. Thankfully they're is no mucus and I really don't know how frequent is too frequent. What I have noticed though is that he tends to sneeze when he's preening, around two times? Is this normal? I also read that they like humid places and an A.C dries the air out and makes them sneeze so I'm thinking of getting a humidifier. I'm not sure if the air has something to do with it in this case though, but I don't know. Also is it ok to sneeze during preening? Is it natural behavior? Do I need to do something? Do any of you think he's in any danger right now?? Sorry if I'm worrying too much I really can't help it.

PS: Unrelated but Parrot forums randomly shut down (at least for me) and then randomly started back up again... Has this happened for anyone else or is this a me problem

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Hi ILOVEKIWI. You are not alone with your accessibility to the Forum issues. Unfortunately there have been a few outages over the last couple of days, hopefully normal service has been restored and we can now continue as usual.

Have you had Kiwi checked out by an avian vet? I generally recommend owners have their new additions checked for wellness as soon as possible after adoption, in order to establish a baseline of health and try to nip any potentially harmful medical issues in the bud nice and early. Here is a link which may help you find one if you don't already know of one.....

https://www.aav.org/

Establishing an ongoing relationship with a good avian vet is also very helpful in case of future more serious health conditions. If you have an annual health check performed, your vet will build up a record of Kiwi's medical history which could prove vital in case of a future health emergency. Kiwi's current bouts of sneezing may be nothing to worry about right now, but for your own certainty and peace of mind as well as his future well-being, a wellness check is something I think you could consider.

Wishing you and Kiwi all the very best for a long and happy life together, I can already tell how much you love the little guy :)

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
This sounds more than normal. Tiu do not have to have discharge to be sick.

I strongly urge seeing the avisn e vet Today ir tomorrow. Birds hide being sick.

Additional warmth is so helpful fir sick birds.

OP
ILOVEKIWI

ILOVEKIWI

Dec 15, 2020
Parrots
Kiwi GCC
Thank you so much LaManuka! To answer your question, yes we took Kiwi to an avian vet, The first week we adopted him. I did tons of research and it was a huge priority! I'm definitely relying on our vet, but when he started sneezing, I got really anxious and had to get it out of my head. Thanks again!

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Depending on your location in this Huge World, can have an effect on whether your Parrot is sneezing from an illness or general Winter conditions.

If you are in the Northern Hemisphere it is likely that your home may have a lower humidity level then is comfortable for your Parrot, you and your home. Lower humidity levels can cause drying of the sinus cavities and as a result, sneezing. Dust also moves with greater easy in a drier atmosphere and a build-up of dust in the sinus cavities can lead to sneezing as well. Your Avian Medical Professional can check the conditions quickly and if needed flush your Parrots sinuses or treat an illness.

It is important to have a digital Humidity /Temperature device in your home. An electrical (plugin) is a bit better and can provide a backlight in an area that may need it.

Understand, that we are targeting 'relative' humidity as it will vary depending on temperature. The goal is to be around 45% at about 72 degrees F. Each home is different as a result of location, construction, current weather, etc... As a result, 45% is based on the specifics of my home, yours may be a bit different.

The goal is to not create water droplets along the bottom of your windows (humidity level is too high).

OP
ILOVEKIWI

ILOVEKIWI

Dec 15, 2020
Parrots
Kiwi GCC
This sounds more than normal. Tiu do not have to have discharge to be sick.

I strongly urge seeing the avisn e vet Today ir tomorrow. Birds hide being sick.

Additional warmth is so helpful fir sick birds.

Thank you for telling me, I definitely will. I'm not sure if he does it every time he preens, but I'm taking him regardless.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Please, Young bird are exceptional sensitive to health issues. Please take him to the vet. My healthy birds only sneeze after a bath, ut is so rare to hear them sneeze.

My quaker is very sick, she did not sneeze, only after several days did liquid come from nose. She came do close to death, and is not out if tge woods now a week later. Any sign if something wrong you must act.

This is a great heat source for birds.
http://go.skimresources.com/?id=162...tz=240&xuuid=04ad97ccd31c575a1530d68364c5f3d7

https://www.littlecrittersvet.com/sick-birds.pml

Last edited:

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Thank you so much LaManuka! To answer your question, yes we took Kiwi to an avian vet, The first week we adopted him. I did tons of research and it was a huge priority! I'm definitely relying on our vet, but when he started sneezing, I got really anxious and had to get it out of my head. Thanks again!

Excellent news! Hopefully it's nothing, or only something very minor and easily treated, but as Laurasea has stated, sometimes these things can escalate very quickly and I would hate for that to happen to you and Kiwi. Please keep us updated as to his progress :)

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
For Noodles, more than 2 sneezes a day = a lot. Normally, it is 0-1 times daily, sometime two. If she is doing more than that, I have always taken her to the vet, and almost every single time, she has been sick. A gram-stain is normally what was used right off the bat, and that worked for us most of the time (it's cheaper and easier than many other tests, although it isn't going to catch everything).

DO check her nose to see if there is a blockage, but if you can't see anything (like a feather)I'd get your bird to the vet to be sure.

Last edited:

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
You can also check for stains or discoloration sbove nares. receded featgwrs from nostril area, on top,, it can be subtle. Groves or lines in beak can also indicate a chronic sinus infection .

Weigh your bird regularly, check poops daily.
Feed veggies, low vitamin A often linked with respiratory issues

OP
ILOVEKIWI

ILOVEKIWI

Dec 15, 2020
Parrots
Kiwi GCC
Updates!: I have a healthy birdy. Ahhhhhh I'm so happy, he's not sick, and we had a successful trip to the vet, discussing diets, and a few other questions and concerns I had. I'm extremely happy to say that I have established a great relationship with the vet. Everything's going great, but of course I'm always gonna to be monitoring Kiwi, and the vet also gave us warning signs to look out for, etc. Thank you everyone for replying, every reply helped :smile015:

Also in case you were wondering we have linked the sneezing to either food, or his fluff (from his preening) getting in his nostrils. He's an active little bird who likes to eat and play :) But still like I said before keeping an eye out on his poop, apetite changes etc, and have a date for his next check up.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Well this is some much needed good news!! Keep tracking weights weekly

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
As a recommendation; Weight should be taken at the same time, each time! The best time is first thing in the morning, after the first morning movement, which is commonly the largest poop of the day and prior to the morning feeding and water. This assures that you are obtaining a weight of an empty Parrot and any variation is not effected by what is in their digestive tract.

FYI: Keep a journal listing the date and weight.

Happy to hear things are going well!!!

jeninec11769

Nov 8, 2021
california
Parrots
Paulie and Phoebe GCC
Hello !
I have recently had the same issue with my Birby girl!
She is going to see the vet Thursday morning. Also hope it is nothing major!

Most Reactions