Socialization

ConureAZ

Dec 27, 2013
Parrots
Oliver (Sun Conure)
Hi guys,
I have a few questions about socializing my 1 month old Sun Conure Oliver. Although I have experience hand feeding and owning birds, I have never raised a baby. Oliver is very healthy and eats like a horse. I house him in a small cage that is kept inside his future large cage, that I latch, in our living room. I like having him in a larger cage as a precaution from the kids and dogs (Doberman and Mini Dachshund) I'm a stay at home mom (5 & 7), so Oliver spends his day with us:) So far he gets out several times a day for feeding and play. He is only out for 20 min at a time. After I feed him the kids and I sit on the ground and okay with him. He loves to chase the kids around and cuddle. He also has toys in his cage for his alone time. When he's not out he plays around and talks to the dogs. The dogs never have access to him when I'm not there.

I'm pretty much raising him like my kids. I want him to feel nurtured and safe, but also independent and confident. I want to start clicker training him, but I'm not sure if he is too young. He knows his name and will run to you when you call him.

So I guess my question is, am I missing anything? Are there signs I should look for? In your experience raising babies, what is the most important aspect if socializing? I want to do everything I can to give Oliver the best start possible:)

Thank you

Oliver's cage, inside his big cage

Oliver getting a scratch:)

Cyclone

Jan 6, 2014
Florida
Parrots
1 male Quaker
That is the cutest little baby ever! Sounds to me like you are doing things right. Keep introducing him to new objects, new voices (male and female), and new people so he doesn't become fearful of new things in the future.

Good luck!

OP
C

ConureAZ

Dec 27, 2013
Parrots
Oliver (Sun Conure)
Thanks guys:)

Cyclon- Thank you! I really want Oliver to be the best he can be. I read all the time about birds that have horrible behaviors from the way they were raised. At least if he behaves badly I'll have no one else to blame but me;)

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
It sounds like you are doing well with Oliver, although I am a bit concerned about that large cage... the bar spacing looks a little too big for him???

Most Reactions