Socializing Amazon Parrot

OP
bostralian

bostralian

Sep 17, 2016
Parrots
I have a blue fronted Amazon :)
Hi wrench13. He loves pecans and cheese(!?). I got him when he was 11 months old and the guy who sold him to my dad said he loves Babybel cheese. I don't give him cheese (maybe the tiniest piece once in a blue moon) because I've read he can't digest it properly, but he goes absolutely crazy when the sees the red packaging.

He sometimes (65% of the time) flies onto my arm when I hold out a treat with my other hand. However, he avoids my hands. Today, I took your advice and got him (hardly) to fly (t was more of a jump) onto my fist.
I'm I doing this right?

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Yeah, cut the cheese out, your going to do a lot of training and cheese is really not good for them. Pecans slice up really well, so that now becomes your training treat. Good.
Arm is just as good as hand, in fact may be better is he is flying to it - them claws can be really sharp. So you always will offer the treat when you request him to step up or come to you. Always. Use the same command every time, what ever it is -"UP" or "TO ME" , but be consistent. Have the treat ready and reward him immediately when he lands or steps up. No reward if you have to chase him. Try to figure out another word besides NO when he gets it wrong ( people use that word far to regularly in conversation - I use a buzzing sound 'BBZZTT' )

OP
bostralian

bostralian

Sep 17, 2016
Parrots
I've been practicing with him for about two hours today. He now seems more comfortable flying onto my hand/arm, but only when he wants treats. At one point he just gets fed up and won't do it anymore.

A couple of hours ago I read something about target training, and getting a parrot to touch a stick with its beak in order to get a treat. I've started trying to teach him with a chopstick about an two hours ago. At first he was terrified of the chopstick and kept flying away, but after leaving it next to him for an hour he warned up to it.
He seemed to catch on pretty quickly with touching the chopstick and then getting a treat (but not before I literally had to demonstrate what to do myself and then eating half a pecan). Now I have a feeling that half the time he knows what I want, but after a few minutes he forgets — and then remembers again!

Also, does this 'target training' help me reach my goal of being able to touch him and play with him?

I'm still pretty confused. I hope I'm not annoying everyone in this forum with these questions. :(

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
First off, keep your training sessions short, much shorter then 2 hours ! Hell , I would be fed up with training after that. Keep sessions to 15-20 minutes, maybe 2-3 times a day.
You don't want him bored or mad at you. It takes the fun out of it for both of you.

Second, yes target training will help you move him around, but again, short sessions. LOL, you have to give him time to be a parrot, too! They need time to goof off, chew stuff, eat , squawk, sleep and nap, preen and explore. Sounds like a pretty busy day with all the training you are giving him.

BeatriceC

Feb 9, 2016
San Diego, CA
Parrots
Goofy (YNA), Oscar (Goffin 'too). Foster bird Betty (RLA). RIP Cookie, 1991-2016 ('tiel), Leo (Sengal), Charlotte (scarlet macaw). Grand-birds: Liam (budgie), Donovan (lovebird), RIP Angelo (budgie)
My vet recommended using macaroni and cheese for a cheese motivated bird. If you use a thin sauce it's not so fattening.

OP
bostralian

bostralian

Sep 17, 2016
Parrots
My vet recommended using macaroni and cheese for a cheese motivated bird. If you use a thin sauce it's not so fattening.

oh wow that's a great idea. I didn't think of that! Now we'll definitely have something in common! :09:

Thank you!

Most Reactions

Latest posts