Some Chillies related questions

MomtoPercy

Nov 15, 2013
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Percy, a 5yo BFA & Jack, a 8yo Budgie
Percy and I have recently discovered that he loooves chillies. I feed him half a jalapeno once every three days or so. He attacks it with gusto and rips out all the seeds in minutes but will later nibble on the fleash as well.

Considering that zons are prone to porky-ness and chillies are purported to lower cholesterol, I wonder if I could/should feed him more chillies? How much is too much?

Also, what are your views on dried chillies? I'd love to dry some to include in his foraging toys.

Mike17

Aug 12, 2013
Media
Albums
Outback Western Australia
Parrots
Alex- Eclectus, Ariel- whiteface, Junior- pied, Custard-lutino, Ziggy- pearl cockatiels, Kermit- Princess parrot, Jade- Plumhead parrot, George- budgie, Coco- Rainbow lorikeet, Corey-Little Corella.
My wife is Asian and we use a LOT of chili, including the dried variety. Dried chili has a lot of dust which would make birds sneeze. We have to wear masks when my wife is grinding chili. Or at least, my wife does - I leave the room! So fresh would be better for birds.

Maria_Metropolis

Nov 12, 2013
Parrots
White Face Cinnamon Pearl Pied Cockatiel - "Muffin"

Hatch Date: October 4th, 2013
RIP July 4, 2014
I actually make my own chili powder (I'm not Asian) for dry rubs, and soups, chili seasoning. I never thought about feeding it to my birds though. I sprinkle a little paprika on his food, which I heard is good for them. It's high in vitamin A.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Mine love them too.

And I sprinkle the dried flake stuff (also free from the pizza place- HEY! I'M POOR... ) into their food mix.

Just watch out for the "flaming frenchie" if you own a macaw...

Maria_Metropolis

Nov 12, 2013
Parrots
White Face Cinnamon Pearl Pied Cockatiel - "Muffin"

Hatch Date: October 4th, 2013
RIP July 4, 2014
If you have a Mexican store in your area, they sell tons of dried chili for cheap prices. You can get a whole pound for $4 or so. A pound of dried chili is A LOT of chill. I dry pan toast them, take out the seeds and grind them in my spice grinder (they're like $10 at Amazon). It's great for human food too!! I'm not sure if they can eat the seeds though.

OP
MomtoPercy

MomtoPercy

Nov 15, 2013
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Percy, a 5yo BFA & Jack, a 8yo Budgie
And I sprinkle the dried flake stuff (also free from the pizza place- HEY! I'M POOR... )

:D Hey, no judgement here! I know the feeling ;). Been begging cardboard inner rolls (my makeshift birdie bagels) from my local shops today. They throw them away so why not through them my way??

Fortunately, I can buy ten fat juicy jalapenos for very little.

GaryBV

Nov 2, 2013
Southwestern Pennsylvania
Parrots
Pacific Parrotlets - green Beanieboy and blue Skya;
Fischer Lovebirds - Mariposa and Papillon
I've seen quite a few bird treats and foods with Chilies in them, and everything I've read says birds love them. I havn't given my birds any hot ones, but my understanding is that the birds can't taste the 'hot' or it doesn't have the same effect as it does on us. I was just at Costco over the weekend and I saw a huge amount of dried chilis there in large bags, and I have seen smaller packages at my supermarket, so if you just look, I think you will find them fairly easily. Just wash your hands lol

thekarens

Sep 29, 2013
You don't have to just worry about washing your hand. I discovered you have to wash their beak too, especially if they eat jalapeños :)

Captsteve

Jul 17, 2013
Crestview Fl.
Parrots
Goffin Too, U2, Scarlet Mac, B&G Mac, DYH Zon, CAG and a
Birdbrained Wife!
You don't have to just worry about washing your hand. I discovered you have to wash their beak too, especially if they eat jalapeños :)

Don't forget their feet! Or you will know they were eating peppers when they get on your arm!!

You can give as many peppers as they want. They are really good for them.

lquan

Nov 6, 2013
El Monte, CA
Parrots
Yellow Sided Conure
Hot chililies are very easy and fast to grow. Once they bear fruits, there is no stopping. I have 1 extremely hot chilly plant. My Lily inherits it now. I am Asian, but I cannot deal with any chilly.

My brother-in-law is probably the king of hot chillies. He can't eat any meal without hot chillies. One rainny night he ran out of hot chillies for a late dinner. He had to drive 10 miles to his friend house at 1am with a flash light to pick some. Even he has to bow to my hot chilly plant. My Lily can chuck them down like candy.

SoCalWendy

Jun 29, 2013
Kihei, Hawaii
Parrots
None at the moment
If you have a Mexican store in your area, they sell tons of dried chili for cheap prices. You can get a whole pound for $4 or so. A pound of dried chili is A LOT of chill. I dry pan toast them, take out the seeds and grind them in my spice grinder (they're like $10 at Amazon). It's great for human food too!! I'm not sure if they can eat the seeds though.

Yup, they can eat the seeds and all

SoCalWendy

Jun 29, 2013
Kihei, Hawaii
Parrots
None at the moment
Hot chililies are very easy and fast to grow. Once they bear fruits, there is no stopping. I have 1 extremely hot chilly plant. My Lily inherits it now. I am Asian, but I cannot deal with any chilly.

My brother-in-law is probably the king of hot chillies. He can't eat any meal without hot chillies. One rainny night he ran out of hot chillies for a late dinner. He had to drive 10 miles to his friend house at 1am with a flash light to pick some. Even he has to bow to my hot chilly plant. My Lily can chuck them down like candy.

I need to plant a chili plant. I'd rather give fresh than dried any day.

GaryBV

Nov 2, 2013
Southwestern Pennsylvania
Parrots
Pacific Parrotlets - green Beanieboy and blue Skya;
Fischer Lovebirds - Mariposa and Papillon
Well Wendy you are in a terrific location to do that - i bet you could grow them all year long. Up here in Pennsylvania our growing season is a bit shorter lol

Most Reactions