Step Up Onto Hand Succession Progress

pterry97

Aug 26, 2020
UK
Since starting the stick training, Mofu has really began to start liking my attention and often seeks me out. This past week alone, I have become her favourite climbing toy, something I'd have never expected a month ago of a bird who only likes to be on the ground.

She still has a strong dislike towards being touched by hands, but despite this we've started retackling her desensitisation and she's finally back to being comfortable perching on fingers again. Wanted to share her progress as she has been doing well.

[ame="https://youtu.be/KkDwJHHk5pc"]https://youtu.be/KkDwJHHk5pc[/ame]

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Truly great progress on Step-Up!

Hands take time as they can look like and duplicate the movement of a snake! So, it just takes time for them to be comfortable with Hands.

Remember that Step-Up should be connected to a voice command, so start working with a combination of a voice command, treat and voice positive reinforcement (like: Good Bird, etc...).

OP
P

pterry97

Aug 26, 2020
UK

Hands take time as they can look like and duplicate the movement of a snake! So, it just takes time for them to be comfortable with Hands.

Remember that Step-Up should be connected to a voice command, so start working with a combination of a voice command, treat and voice positive reinforcement (like: Good Bird, etc...).

I had music over the video but words are paired, not to worry! I was really proud of her because she would really prepare herself to jump up once I said it. The only thing we want now is for her to get up without the treat being directly in sight, as she’s not quite there yet.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon

I had music over the video but words are paired, not to worry! I was really proud of her because she would really prepare herself to jump up once I said it. The only thing we want now is for her to get up without the treat being directly in sight, as she’s not quite there yet.

Its a time on time process... At her rate and not any faster. Enjoy the process.

Most Reactions

Latest posts