Stress Bars?

Nadieb1930

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
2023 Parrot of the Year 🏆
May 19, 2022
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure
Hey everyone! I just got a new conure about two weeks ago and noticed some dark stripes on her wings. I was just wondering if these are stress bars or just from roughhousing in her cage? She does like to move around in her cage a lot and sometimes she puts her back against the side (even though her cage is huge). Her tail feathers are also looking a little rough. She has some spots on them that look like they were cut in a straight line halfway across the feather. I haven’t noticed any plucking from her and she seems to be really happy. She is only 3 months old so she has lots of baby energy! Looking back at pictures from when I first got her, it looks like she had these markings on her from before I got her as well. I also have a vet appt scheduled for next week for a checkup so of course I can ask the vet then!
B2D57095-0779-495B-BE6B-97EF9642D341.png

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
Welcome and congratulations on your little one! She's adorable!

I'm guessing your vet will have great information for you :) I haven't had birds for long so I'm still learning too, and I'm not as familiar with normal conure feathers as most folk here, but my impression is that at your conure's age and having just gotten her you likely don't have to worry about what you're seeing being long term damage. You'll be able to optimize her diet and environment and before you know it her next molt will be all gorgeous shiny feathers 😊

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Hey everyone! I just got a new conure about two weeks ago and noticed some dark stripes on her wings. I was just wondering if these are stress bars or just from roughhousing in her cage? She does like to move around in her cage a lot and sometimes she puts her back against the side (even though her cage is huge). Her tail feathers are also looking a little rough. She has some spots on them that look like they were cut in a straight line halfway across the feather. I haven’t noticed any plucking from her and she seems to be really happy. She is only 3 months old so she has lots of baby energy! Looking back at pictures from when I first got her, it looks like she had these markings on her from before I got her as well. I also have a vet appt scheduled for next week for a checkup so of course I can ask the vet then! View attachment 40194
Yeah, seeing stress bars on young birds, especially if she's from a pet store, is common, when I first got my Green cheek, he had stress bars galore. His tail also was rough and shredded, now that I've had him for nearly a year and there's not a stress bar on him and his tail is nearly perfect, well as perfect as a conures tail can be anyway. Good luck with your new baby! :giggle:

Most Reactions

Latest posts